Wash. gov OKs tax cut for newspapers

tax cuts for business??? :eek: John effen Kerry is writing legislation to give tax cuts to NYT etc etc etx... hypocrites oh,, I heard it on tv so don't have a link.

Remarkable is it not? The leftists are openly admitting that tax cuts ENHANCE opportunity for business growth and sustainability, but only doing so for selective examples that suit their personal political goals.

This is blatant statism here - choose certain businesses for tax cuts, thus ensuring future support by said businesses.

Good lord what a joke - and a dangerous one at that...

Remarkable is it not? The leftists are openly admitting that tax cuts ENHANCE opportunity for business growth and sustainability, but only doing so for selective examples that suit their personal political goals.

This is blatant statism here - choose certain businesses for tax cuts, thus ensuring future support by said businesses.

Giving the fact we had one major newspaper shut down already and a few other small ones I think she might be trying to save their jobs. And the reason she is not cutting anyone else's taxes is because the state is going bankrupt, we just laid off 100 teachers in the district here in spokane alone yesterday because lack of state funding. They are cutting programs at all the colleges and have to raise tuition for next year and our unemployment rate has been higher than the national average a few times in the last few months. The newspapers should feel lucky that she is doing anything to help them stay in business.

Let me get this right... The state of Washington is cutting taxes for newspapers to help them stay in business....

I'm no economics major but wouldn't it make since to cut taxes for all businesses? Wouldn't this help all companies?

Local News | Wash. gov OKs tax cut for newspapers | Seattle Times Newspaper
not when the deficit is so high here, you can't cut taxes on all businesses when you are not even paying your other bills. And when you are having to cut so many programs just to stay a float.

Giving the fact we had one major newspaper shut down already and a few other small ones I think she might be trying to save their jobs. And the reason she is not cutting anyone else's taxes is because the state is going bankrupt, we just laid off 100 teachers in the district here in spokane alone yesterday because lack of state funding. They are cutting programs at all the colleges and have to raise tuition for next year and our unemployment rate has been higher than the national average a few times in the last few months. The newspapers should feel lucky that she is doing anything to help them stay in business.

So tax cuts save jobs?

So why not tax cuts for ALL business? Would that not save jobs in the private sector which in turn would greatly increase the potential public funding of government jobs such as education? Education specifically is a balance between local, state, and federal funding, all of which suffer when the private sector economy has a downturn.

To have a governor of a state selecting which business sector gets tax cuts over others is a dangerous thing. It has been done in the past, and it simply muddies the waters between the public and private sector ensuring corruption to take place.

Your seeming support of this scenario shows an alarming lack of understanding, and equally alarming nonchalant approach to government control of the private sector. What Gregoire is doing is absolute statism.

Also, lack of state funding is just as much the result of gross mismanagement of the public funds going to education. I strongly suggest you do some research into how the vast sums going for public education are actually spent. Public education has long been among the most corrupted and mismanaged institutions in America. Perhaps only Washington DC is a greater example of such mismanagement.

Perhaps though you support statism.

If so, I would sincerely like to hear your rationals as to why.

So tax cuts save jobs?

So why not tax cuts for ALL business? Would that not save jobs in the private sector which in turn would greatly increase the potential public funding of government jobs such as education? Education specifically is a balance between local, state, and federal funding, all of which suffer when the private sector economy has a downturn.

To have a governor of a state selecting which business sector gets tax cuts over others is a dangerous thing. It has been done in the past, and it simply muddies the waters between the public and private sector ensuring corruption to take place.

Your seeming support of this scenario shows an alarming lack of understanding, and equally alarming nonchalant approach to government control of the private sector. What Gregoire is doing is absolute statism.

Also, lack of state funding is just as much the result of gross mismanagement of the public funds going to education. I strongly suggest you do some research into how the vast sums going for public education are actually spent. Public education has long been among the most corrupted and mismanaged institutions in America. Perhaps only Washington DC is a greater example of such mismanagement.

Perhaps though you support statism.

If so, I would sincerely like to hear your rationals as to why.
Giving the fact she raised such a deficit she really shouldn't be cutting taxes on anyone and I never said I supported it, I said they should feel lucky they are getting the tax break. And if you read the article washington state has done the same thing for Boeing and Timber industry before.
Do you take pay decrease when you have more bills to pay? I don't think so!

By the way we spend less per student for public education than most any other liberal state and have been able to keep are tuition costs down until now for public colleges and still have a good education system but that will probably change soon.

Here's my backwards view on it. This action undermines the impartiality of the press and is therefore a violation of the Constitutional right to freedom of the press. It is also protecting certain particular businesses and naturally preventing others from sprouting up.

Let me get this right... The state of Washington is cutting taxes for newspapers to help them stay in business....

I'm no economics major but wouldn't it make since to cut taxes for all businesses? Wouldn't this help all companies?

We don't have a very smart government lately ... sorry. Our state has been fucking up a lot since the morons who have been put into power and with all the people moving here from other states (oh, look, it's a pretty place, let's move there and buldoze all the trees so we can build houses instead!). Anyhoo, it's a stupid movement, print media is obsolete, we are the fifth highest city in technology here in Seattle, seemed for a moment we were going to continue to progress, but then they pull this. Oh well, I'll be sending letters to USMB through snail mail at the rate they're going.

We don't have a very smart government lately ... sorry. Our state has been fucking up a lot since the morons who have been put into power and with all the people moving here from other states (oh, look, it's a pretty place, let's move there and buldoze all the trees so we can build houses instead!). Anyhoo, it's a stupid movement, print media is obsolete, we are the fifth highest city in technology here in Seattle, seemed for a moment we were going to continue to progress, but then they pull this. Oh well, I'll be sending letters to USMB through snail mail at the rate they're going.
I would have to agree with you on our state government.

I love it when the party in office, having accussed the other of being conservative and unwilling to consider new ideas, goes about doing exactly the same thing themselves.

Here's my backwards view on it. This action undermines the impartiality of the press and is therefore a violation of the Constitutional right to freedom of the press. It is also protecting certain particular businesses and naturally preventing others from sprouting up.
why don't you read this.

Newspaper publishers seek tax cut from Wash. state - Yahoo! Finance

and the bill was not started by the governor.

Ok, I read it, what was I supposed to learn? The only thing I can guess that you wanted me to get out of that was that it was the newspapers who were asking for the money or tax breaks or whatever? Makes no difference.

not when the deficit is so high here, you can't cut taxes on all businesses when you are not even paying your other bills. And when you are having to cut so many programs just to stay a float.

Good point... Hard to cut taxes and still pay for the Governor's spending spree... Still, cutting taxes is good for business... Seems to me the way to go is to cut spending and cut taxes... Does that sound crazy?

Last edited:

Good point... Hard to cut taxes and still pay for the Governor's spending spree... Still, cutting taxes is good for business... Seems to me the way to go is to cut spending and cut taxes... Does that sound crazy?[/QUOTE]

NO! It is simple and sound economics. But you see, such economics does little to ensure further growth of government, so elected officials have little use for such sound simplicity.

Instead, the Washington Governor gives highly selective tax cuts to a particular industry while allowing others to waste away.

Liberals will argue that those tax cuts will save newspaper jobs - but in the very same breath, declare that no government should cut taxes when faced with such deficit spending. The contradictory quality of the liberal mind is both humorous, and worrisome, as unfortunately, that same quality of liberal mind is running the show in Washington State and Washington DC.

Very well said - thank you!

:clap2:

Oh, and what are they doing with our taxes right now in Seattle, spending millions on a viaduct tunnel ... just because they have to tear down the current elevated one, but instead of making the motorists pay for it at least, or at best saying "use the many, many alternate routes morons" ... they are using money that was suppose to benefit health care! Yeah, we have a smart government here.

Oh, and what are they doing with our taxes right now in Seattle, spending millions on a viaduct tunnel ... just because they have to tear down the current elevated one, but instead of making the motorists pay for it at least, or at best saying "use the many, many alternate routes morons" ... they are using money that was suppose to benefit health care! Yeah, we have a smart government here.

At least the Lotto funds have been going to education all these years.

Oh, wait........

Forum List

Back