Wash. gov OKs tax cut for newspapers

Discussion in 'Economy' started by KMAN, May 13, 2009.

1. KMAN

KMAN Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +269
  2. WillowTree

WillowTree Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,713
    tax cuts for business??? :eek: John effen Kerry is writing legislation to give tax cuts to NYT etc etc etx... hypocrites oh,, I heard it on tv so don't have a link.

3. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Remarkable is it not? The leftists are openly admitting that tax cuts ENHANCE opportunity for business growth and sustainability, but only doing so for selective examples that suit their personal political goals.

This is blatant statism here - choose certain businesses for tax cuts, thus ensuring future support by said businesses.

Good lord what a joke - and a dangerous one at that...

4. Seraega

Seraega Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27
    bleh... this sucks. Newspapers are going to die one way or the other. No sense throwing money at them.

5. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    Giving the fact we had one major newspaper shut down already and a few other small ones I think she might be trying to save their jobs. And the reason she is not cutting anyone else's taxes is because the state is going bankrupt, we just laid off 100 teachers in the district here in spokane alone yesterday because lack of state funding. They are cutting programs at all the colleges and have to raise tuition for next year and our unemployment rate has been higher than the national average a few times in the last few months. The newspapers should feel lucky that she is doing anything to help them stay in business.

6. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    not when the deficit is so high here, you can't cut taxes on all businesses when you are not even paying your other bills. And when you are having to cut so many programs just to stay a float.

7. Sinatra

Sinatra Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    So tax cuts save jobs?

So why not tax cuts for ALL business? Would that not save jobs in the private sector which in turn would greatly increase the potential public funding of government jobs such as education? Education specifically is a balance between local, state, and federal funding, all of which suffer when the private sector economy has a downturn.

To have a governor of a state selecting which business sector gets tax cuts over others is a dangerous thing. It has been done in the past, and it simply muddies the waters between the public and private sector ensuring corruption to take place.

Your seeming support of this scenario shows an alarming lack of understanding, and equally alarming nonchalant approach to government control of the private sector. What Gregoire is doing is absolute statism.

Also, lack of state funding is just as much the result of gross mismanagement of the public funds going to education. I strongly suggest you do some research into how the vast sums going for public education are actually spent. Public education has long been among the most corrupted and mismanaged institutions in America. Perhaps only Washington DC is a greater example of such mismanagement.

Perhaps though you support statism.

If so, I would sincerely like to hear your rationals as to why.

8. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    Giving the fact she raised such a deficit she really shouldn't be cutting taxes on anyone and I never said I supported it, I said they should feel lucky they are getting the tax break. And if you read the article washington state has done the same thing for Boeing and Timber industry before.
    Do you take pay decrease when you have more bills to pay? I don't think so!

By the way we spend less per student for public education than most any other liberal state and have been able to keep are tuition costs down until now for public colleges and still have a good education system but that will probably change soon.

9. Hillbilly

Hillbilly Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Here's my backwards view on it. This action undermines the impartiality of the press and is therefore a violation of the Constitutional right to freedom of the press. It is also protecting certain particular businesses and naturally preventing others from sprouting up.

10. Luissa

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    why don't you read this.

Newspaper publishers seek tax cut from Wash. state - Yahoo! Finance

and the bill was not started by the governor.