Was watching some old TV shows with my kid,

Discussion in 'TV Forum' started by Crixus, Jun 10, 2017.

1. Frankeneinstein

Frankeneinstein Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,528
    lol...Lassie comes to mind

2. aaronleland

aaronleland Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +33,382
    "According to his Instagram feed Timmy is trapped in a well. Why do we own this stupid dog again?"

3. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,769
    Some things I failed to mention in this message are the fact that cigarette companies did all they could to encourage smoking. Back then there would be pretty girls in all the bus and train stations and airports, dressed in dance costumes with high-heels and web stockings, carrying trays filled with sample packs of one brand of cigarette or another. They would hand these free samples out to GIs in uniform.

When I was stationed in Japan and Okinawa the price of cigarettes at the PX was one dollar per carton

In 1985 I attended a lecture by a pathologist at Columbia University. During this lecture the doctor uncovered two large laboratory jars and invited the audience to file past the table and examine the contents of those jars. One contained the bisected lungs of a 45 year-old non-smoker, an accident victim. The interior of these lungs was a healthy pink. The other jar contained the bisected lungs of a 50 year-old cigarette smoker who died of lung cancer. The lungs were about half the size of the healthy ones and their internal condition was disgusting -- a dark purplish brown with small patches of dark yellow. The sight of them was sufficient to make me quit smoking after thirty-five years, which I managed to do with the aid of Nicorette gum and Tootsie Roll lollipops.

The most difficult stage of quitting was the first few months when the urge to light up was constant. The urge gradually withdrew, but never completely and was most intense after meals and coffee. It's been 33 years since I quit smoking but every now and then I will experience a brief, mild urge to smoke. So the nicotine addiction is more tenacious than any other, including the heroin addiction.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,676
    I quit cold turkey 20+ years ago after a 30yr+ two-pack a day habit. Never had a desire since.

5. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,769
    You just quit cold and never had an urge to smoke?

Did you use anything -- like Nicorette gum or patches? Did you need to do anything to compensate for lost hand and mouth activity, like chew on toothpicks, suck on lollipops (as I did)?

6. longknife

longknife Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23,676
    I got up one morning and, as I got ready to brush my teeth, coughed up bright red blood into the sink. Didn't do anything about it until noon when I coughed up some more. Went to the ER and was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit. They did some tests and diagnosed me with pneumonia. I stayed 3 days and, from the moment I was released, never smoked another cigarette or had a desire for one. In fact, the smell disgusted me and has ever since.

7. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,769
    I can understand your never smoking another cigarette after that experience, but the trauma must have been very intense to completely eliminate the compulsive effects of a 30 year addiction. I had a hell of a time for the first year and I've known several individuals who tried valiantly to quit smoking but couldn't get past that first wall-climbing month.

8. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +41,072
    I watched The Man Who Knew Too Much a while back, Jimmy Stewart and Doris Day.

He makes her take a SEDATIVE before he tells her the couple they allowed to take their kid (in Morocco) abducted him.

It's just a fun movie on so many levels. Plus she sings Que Sera Sera for like 20 minutes straight.

That will make you go insane.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. koshergrl

koshergrl Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +41,072
    42:48 is where he dopes her..after telling her she's crazy and he knows best. He gives her the drugs and then it's like oh yeah, you know those people we don't know in Morocco who we left our darling heir with? Yeah they took him.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Dan Stubbs

Dan Stubbs FORGET ---- HELL Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,892
    Been trying to shorten mine, and its not working, or should I have started sooner. LOL