Was this the best Republicans could really do?

JoeB131

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2011
Chicago, Chicago, that Toddling Town
I look at the less than Magnificiant Seven, and I ask, is this really the best we have?

There were so many good people who could have run and didn't.

Huckabee didn't run because he was doing his show.

Palin was too busy selling books and making speeches.

Mitch Daniels didn't want to answer questions about why he and his wife separated before they got back together, which sounds really trivial compared to Newt and Cain.

Tim Pawlenty Gave up after losing a meaningless straw poll. He's probably kicking himself now.

Jeb Bush would have been great, if not for his name. Although even now, the Bush years seem like a happy memory.

Thune, Barbor, Pataki, Guiliani... All taking a pass.

No one seems really happy with Newt, no one seems really happy with Romney, the Paul supporters are happy, but they're delusional. Bachmann is a joke, Perry has been a profound disappointment. Huntsman is in the wrong party.

I look at the less than Magnificiant Seven, and I ask, is this really the best we have?

There were so many good people who could have run and didn't.

Huckabee didn't run because he was doing his show.

Palin was too busy selling books and making speeches.

Mitch Daniels didn't want to answer questions about why he and his wife separated before they got back together, which sounds really trivial compared to Newt and Cain.

Tim Pawlenty Gave up after losing a meaningless straw poll. He's probably kicking himself now.

Jeb Bush would have been great, if not for his name. Although even now, the Bush years seem like a happy memory.

Thune, Barbor, Pataki, Guiliani... All taking a pass.

No one seems really happy with Newt, no one seems really happy with Romney, the Paul supporters are happy, but they're delusional. Bachmann is a joke, Perry has been a profound disappointment. Huntsman is in the wrong party.

That is because they know they can't beat Obama in 2012. That is why the second string is running

2016 should be a good year for republicans as long as Hillary doesn't run

I don't buy that, because I think Obama is very beatable.

Just not by one of these clowns.

If he had to run against McCain again, he'd be in real trouble. If he had to run against a Bush, he'd be in trouble.

Instead, he'll run against someone most Republicans can't get behind. And he might still lose if the economy doesn't get better.

Yeah, too bad we don't have an Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or Dennis Kucinich or Howard Dean or John Edwards or John Kerry or Jerry Brown, etc. type to stake our hopes on.

He's rocking an approval rating in the mid to high 40's and hasn't even begun to campaign yet with his silly sized war chest.

The only way he loses is if the economy tanks next year.

Winger is right. The GOP has better candidates who don't want to take an L and see 2016 as their chance.

He's rocking an approval rating in the mid to high 40's and hasn't even begun to campaign yet with his silly sized war chest.

The only way he loses is if the economy tanks next year.

Winger is right. The GOP has better candidates who don't want to take an L and see 2016 as their chance.

You might have a point, and we really do run on 8 year cycles, so we have to let this one run its course.

If he had to run against McCain again, he'd be in real trouble. If he had to run against a Bush, he'd be in trouble.

Instead, he'll run against someone most Republicans can't get behind. And he might still lose if the economy doesn't get better.

Obama is beatable only if the economy is in the tank in late 2012. The Republican A Team did not like the odds and decided to sit it out knowing, for a fact that Obama couldn't run in 2016

Jeb Bush would have had to sit out 2012 anyway. He has to wait for the stink of Bush to fade before he can enter the fray

Last edited:
Yeah, too bad we don't have an Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson or Dennis Kucinich or Howard Dean or John Edwards or John Kerry or Jerry Brown, etc. type to stake our hopes on.

That is a good analogy of the present GOP field. candidates who are severely wounded or are just running to see their names in the papers

The democrats are successful in telling republicans what horrible candidates they have and republicans are easily led and believe them. It doesn't matter who the republican candidates are, the democrats would have exactly the same complaints. How many times do we have to see Rudy Guliani going to a costume party as PROOF he is a cross-dresser.

The democrat lies never stop, they will never stop no matter who the republicans are.

The democrats are successful in telling republicans what horrible candidates they have and republicans are easily led and believe them. It doesn't matter who the republican candidates are, the democrats would have exactly the same complaints. How many times do we have to see Rudy Guliani going to a costume party as PROOF he is a cross-dresser.

The democrat lies never stop, they will never stop no matter who the republicans are.

The democrats do not have to tell the republicans anything. All one has to do is watch republicans jump from one flawed candidate to another to see how dissatisfied republicans are with this feeble bunch

I think we're seeing some political realignment going on. The corporatists and the neocons who have dominated the party simply don't offer much in the way of an alternative to the statist liberals. Obama's more or less co-opted their policies. They've largely lost the support of the religious right and libertarian leaning conservatives. The latter group, in particular, has been ignored by both parties for decades and the movement is growing.

I see great potential (as well as significant challenges) in seeking consensus between OWS progressives and libertarians. I think it could produce something like an anti-corporatist party that would provide real constrast to the ideology that currently dominates both major parties.

Last edited:

The democrats do not have to tell the republicans anything. All one has to do is watch republicans jump from one flawed candidate to another to see how dissatisfied republicans are with this feeble bunch

And let's not forget that it all started with them supporting Donald Trump before the race began. :lol:

Last edited:
I think we're seeing some political realignment going on. The corporatists and the neocons who have dominated the party simply don't offer much in the way of an alternative to the statist liberals. Obama's more or less co-opted their policies. They've largely lost the support of the religious right and libertarian leaning conservatives. The latter group, in particular, has been ignored by both parties for decades and the movement is growing.

I see great potential (as well as significant challenges) in seeking consensus between OWS progressives and libertarians. I think it could produce something like an anti-corporatist party that would provide real constrast to the ideology that currently dominates both major parties.

We might even see some meaningful campaign finance reform...

Getting harder and harder to find people who can sell trickle down voodoo economics with a straight face, they are going to beat that drum till they truly become a fringe party.

Getting harder and harder to find people who can sell trickle down voodoo economics with a straight face, they are going to beat that drum till they truly become a fringe party.

In order for trickle down to work, you must first knock a democrat on his ass to keep him from skimming what falls.

The best this field has to offer is Mitt Romney who was at best the second or third best candidate in 2008. Romney has no additional experience since the last election but is the GOPs only electable candidate

Save it.

The Republicans blew-it (like the genetic-wimps they are) when they allowed you Teabaggers to shanghai their Party. I guess they can Thank ol' John Boner for that one. The Silent Majority sat-back....and, allowed some loudmouth-drunk to run The House.....'cause why?.....he was another (one o' those guys) you could "Have a beer with?"????? How many times do Republicans MAKE that same, damned screw-up???!!!!

ONCE wasn't ENOUGH??!!!!

george%20bush%20looking%20stupid.jpg

So.....when does Exodus II begin?

How long do real Conservative-politicians wait.....before they start jumping to The Democratic Party.....and, allow those half-witted, new-to-politics Teabaggers continue to shit in the Republican Party's sandbox?

:eusa_whistle:

<tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick><tick>.....

boehnercries2-cropped-proto-custom_1.jpg

(That'll give ol' Boner something to cry-about.)​

Last edited:
Saying that the GOP first-string team decided to sit this one out is crediting them with too much prescience. Earlier this year, I'd have given Obama no better than even chances to be reelected. I've become more confident about it as the economy has started improving. If it continues to do so, yes, he'll win -- he'll be unbeatable -- but how would a Republican pol have known that last January or March?

I think dblack comes closer to the truth here. The party is undergoing an upheaval and realignment as a result of the Tea Party movement, which is in part a rebellion against the corporate domination of the GOP. The Republican Party is in the midst of a civil war within its own ranks. Romney represents the party establishment, while all the other candidates represent the insurgency. Hence the dynamic of one after another rising and falling (Paul's turn now, after Bachmann, Perry, and Cain all bit the dust). So if the strongest establishment candidates are indeed sitting the election out, I think it might have more to do with the nomination process than the general election.

The Democrats will go through the same thing. Occupy will make sure of it. At this point, I don't think any predictions can be made about 2016. One thing for sure, don't count on Hillary Clinton or anyone else visible right now to be the Dem nominee.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back