Was Teddy Roosevelt wrong?

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
Was Teddy Roosevelt wrong when he told Panama that the US would support their claim to independence after Colombia turned down his canal proposal?

Or was this blatant act of imperialism justified? Especially since the canal itself later proved to be a major factor in defeating the Axis in WW2?

Was Teddy Roosevelt wrong when he told Panama that the US would support their claim to independence after Colombia turned down his canal proposal?

Or was this blatant act of imperialism justified? Especially since the canal itself later proved to be a major factor in defeating the Axis in WW2?
:rofl:

Dubya is no Teddy Roosevelt.

• Banned

<bump>

Seriously folks. I recently watched a History Channel feature on Teddy and this was briefly discussed. I think it's an interesting matter to consider.

If we had a history forum, I would've put it there. But since we don't, politics seemed like the next best thing.

no, he wasn't wrong. he dealt with the Colombians in good faith. When the Colombians tried to jack the price up and cut the French out altogether, he supported the Panamanian independence movement.

He should have made it a National Park, though.

Forum List

Back