Was Reagan Responsible for Assault Weapons Ban?

In 1994, former President Ronald Reagan's health was still good enough for him to, occasionally, participate in politics, and his agenda that year was clear: Helping President Bill Clinton pass the Assault Weapons Ban.

Reagan had been ardent supporter of stricter gun laws after his presidency for intensely personal reasons, as he wrote in a 1991 an op-ed the NY Times in 1991 entitled "Why I'm for the Brady Bill."

"'Anniversary' is a word we usually associate with happy events that we like to remember: birthdays, weddings, the first job. March 30, however, marks an anniversary I would just as soon forget, but cannot," he wrote. "It was on that day 10 years ago that a deranged young man standing among reporters and photographers shot a policeman, a Secret Service agent, my press secretary and me on a Washington sidewalk."

As the assault weapon ban voted neared, Reagan — who as president had signed 1986 legislation loosening restrictions on guns — wrote a letter with former Presidents Ford and Carter to the House of Representatives urging them to vote in favor of the ban.

"We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety," the letter said.

While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons," the letter said concluding.

The vote on the assault weapon ban was contentious and barely passed the House of Representatives. At least two members of the House of Representatives credited Reagan with influencing their votes. The bill passed 216-214, a margin of two votes.

How Ronald Reagan Passed The Assault Weapon Ban

As the assault weapon ban vote neared, Reagan — who as president had signed 1986 legislation loosening restrictions on guns — wrote a letter with former Presidents Ford and Carter to the House of Representatives urging them to vote in favor of the ban.

"We are writing to urge your support for a ban on the domestic manufacture of military-style assault weapons. This is a matter of vital importance to the public safety," the letter said.

"While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons," the letter said concluding.

Imagine that... :thup:

In 1994, former President Ronald Reagan's health was still good enough for him to, occasionally, participate in politics, and his agenda that year was clear: Helping President Bill Clinton pass the Assault Weapons Ban.

Reagan had been ardent supporter of stricter gun laws after his presidency for intensely personal reasons, as he wrote in a 1991 an op-ed the NY Times in 1991 entitled "Why I'm for the Brady Bill."

"'Anniversary' is a word we usually associate with happy events that we like to remember: birthdays, weddings, the first job. March 30, however, marks an anniversary I would just as soon forget, but cannot," he wrote. "It was on that day 10 years ago that a deranged young man standing among reporters and photographers shot a policeman, a Secret Service agent, my press secretary and me on a Washington sidewalk."

As the assault weapon ban voted neared, Reagan — who as president had signed 1986 legislation loosening restrictions on guns — wrote a letter with former Presidents Ford and Carter to the House of Representatives urging them to vote in favor of the ban.

While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons," the letter said concluding.

The vote on the assault weapon ban was contentious and barely passed the House of Representatives. At least two members of the House of Representatives credited Reagan with influencing their votes. The bill passed 216-214, a margin of two votes.

How Ronald Reagan Passed The Assault Weapon Ban

As the assault weapon ban vote neared, Reagan — who as president had signed 1986 legislation loosening restrictions on guns — wrote a letter with former Presidents Ford and Carter to the House of Representatives urging them to vote in favor of the ban.

"While we recognize that assault weapon legislation will not stop all assault weapon crime, statistics prove that we can dry up the supply of these guns, making them less accessible to criminals. We urge you to listen to the American public and to the law enforcement community and support a ban on the further manufacture of these weapons," the letter said concluding.

Imagine that... :thup:

I know... that's why i always say that this ronald reagan they have in their fantasies was not ronald reagan who was actually president.

Statists trying to limit 2nd amendment rights? No way! :rolleyes:

reagan was a statist? i thought reagan was the rightwing adonis

don't you think that word is a bit silly?

I think you're beyond silly. That's why I label your type LOLberal.
Reagan is a rightwing figure to some. Your lumping people together. The only thing that separates the right from teh left in this country is in which ways you statist turds want to run everyones life. You argue about it to no end.

Right or left, most, MOST of the people in the establishment political body of the US are statists. You love and adore the state, not the liberties and rights granted by the constitution.

Im sure some right side of the paradigm will come in to defend Reagan. The same as you would to defend Clinton or Obama.

i've noticed you do that. it's kind of funny.

perhaps you don't realize how it kind of screams 'scroll on by'

just saying.

as far as the absurd term 'statists', i think there are things government can, and should, do. so did the founders, which is why they left broad latitide in the actions government could take in regard to the general welfare and commerce clause.

the nonsense that the government is supposed to do nothing but wage war is probably the most bizarre thing i've ever heard.

oh..., and TASB, as for obama and clinton... there are things they did right... and things they've done wrong. i'd defend either of them against what i think is wingnuttery, but if asked in a rational way, by a rational person, what i didn't agree with, i'm not exactly shy and i'd elaborate

I know... that's why i always say that this ronald reagan they have in their fantasies was not ronald reagan who was actually president.

Many posters here were in diapers in the 80s so they follow the herd sentiment and act as if the 2nd amendment is in some major crisis now because Obama and the Libtards are conspiring to take their precious guns away. Dishonest, but not surprising...

Damn shame the bans kept getting lifted too, because by now we could have, would have, should have made much better progress in getting these weapons off the street.

Forum List

Back