Was Peter Really The First Pope?

Eightball

Oct 13, 2004
Through my study's of the bible, I've seen no clear reference that Peter was called the "Pope".

Jesus did say to Peter, "Upon this rock I shall build my church." That was in reference to Peter or the "Rock".

Now Peter was the first Apostle to break the Jew/Gentile barrier when he had a heavenly vision from God that told him to meet with a Gentile and tell them the "Good News" or Gospel of Jesus Christ.

If anyone would be claimed as the "Pope", I would think it would have to be the Apostle Paul, who made the incredible inroads with the Gospel all over Asia-Minor. In fact it was Paul who reprimanded Peter for being hypocritical before the Gentiles when in the presence of the Jews and Jewish believers(Acts).

Can the Catholic church truly be traced back to the time when the first churches were happening as recorded in Luke's book, called Acts. These churches were not initially started in Rome, but actually started throughout the Mediteranean coastal cities, as attested by Paul's letters to the Ephesians, Galatians, Phillipians, Corinthians, Colossians, and of course Romans.

Did Jesus say anywhere in the bible that there should be a person with the influence of the Pope? In fact, is there any reference to believers having dead Saints intercede for them(their prayers)? Did Jesus tell his disciples, or did the Disciples tell their followers after Pentecost, that they should look to Jesus's earthly Mother Mary, or the 12 Apostles as intermediators between God and them when praying?

I'm not writing this to slam the Pope as a person. I just would like some biblical perspective from the folks in this forum. Can the Catholic church truly trace it's roots to the first home churches of Acts, or did it really start under the direction of the first Christian Roman Emperor, and that would put it later than the beginning of the church that actually started at Pentecost. Is it possible that Peter was literally claimed by the Church of Rome as their first leader although there isn't any historical connection between Peter, and the beginning Roman church?

Try to eliminate dogmas or traditions, and just look at the scripture.........What does it say about church offices. Do these office holders have a better connection to God than the penniless pauper who is a believer? Does the common believer need interceding from dead Saints to "ASAP" needs before God?

Doesn't Paul refer to all believers as Saints?

My issues with saying Peter was the first Bishop of Rome is it seems inconsistant with what happens now.

For one if I have my facts in the time line correct the second and third popes all died before Peter did.

Also if Peter was the first Pope and ordained his successor it seems the current Church has broken with that tradition of having the Pope choose his successor.

Also just the history of it, the Bishop of Rome was no greater than any others until after Constantine converted the empire to Christianity. And even then there seemed to be struggles between Rome and Constantinople on who was the head of the Church. It was only after the Turks conquored Constantinople that the Bishop of Rome was seen as the Pope. Even then there were periods of the Church that demand some questions such as the time when there were three Popes. Although honestly if i were catholic i could reconcile that easily.

All and all with everything i see it seems that if Peter did ordain the Bishop of Rome to succeed him, (Something I highly doubt because I believe only Apostles can succeed Apostles and that Bishops are local leaders), that chain has been broken well over a millinium ago.

With all that said im grateful for the good the Catholic Church and the Pope does in the world and I hope they are able to work harder to eliminate the problems they face. The fact of the matter is that Catholics are the largest Christian denomination and for that reason any problems they might have give the rest of us a hard time sharing our message to those who arent Christian. If I have to hear the inquisition and crusade as a reason not to believe again or even homosexual pedaphile priests as a reason not to believe in Christ in any denomination im going to have to bash my head against the wall a bit.

Forum List

Back