was Obama being elected merely a fluke?

Obama won because the Bush Administration was so alarmingly bad that there was a tremendous backlash against the "conservative brand" that was sufficient enough to elect the first black President in this country.

Conservatives always seem to want to gloss over that and act like their piss-poor leadership had nothing to do with Obama winning.

Conservatism is not a brand. It is an ideology. "Republican" is a brand.

Lookie, another thread where the weak of mind try to rationalize why Obama won. Fact is that he ran the better campaign.

I agree with that too. Obama ran a brilliant grass roots campaign. It was organized and effective. He forgot to switch into leadership mode and that is why he now has the devil to pay (on top of the typical midterm trend).

He'd better get to work quickly or he will be a one termer.

I think he can and will do it, but he needs to make some fundamental changes.

Obama won because the Bush Administration was so alarmingly bad that there was a tremendous backlash against the "conservative brand" that was sufficient enough to elect the first black President in this country.

Conservatives always seem to want to gloss over that and act like their piss-poor leadership had nothing to do with Obama winning.

Not true. Most conservatives I know were well aware that the republican leadership had abandoned their conservative base. Which they compounded by nominating McCain, who did not even try to appear conservative except in contrast to Obama. Had a true conservative run, Obama would currently be on the road promoting the latest book Bill Ayers wrote for him. (Or perhaps he would have purchased his old senate seat from Blago).
In the primary campaigns of 2008, the Conservatives ate their own. You couldn't rally enough support to Huckabee, you castigated Romney for his religion and blamed teh Democrats for the nomination of McCain!

All Conservatives can do is shout. They can't form policy and enact it, they refuse to build political coalitions to advance any agenda but their own and they stand ram rod straight and shout "Hell NO!".

Go ahead. Win some elections. Then when the genie doesn't magically appear and make everything better in less than TWO YEARS, don't get pissed when you're kicked to the side like in 2006 and 2008.

All during the campaigning last year, the only numbers talked about in spite of a few of their posted "plans" and modern version of Contract With America" was proposing $100 million in cuts to domestic programs passed each year by Congress. Yowza. That's not even pocket change.

50% of the popular vote is NOT a landslide. :lol:

Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections

very few (if any) landslides in American elections in my lifetime or yours.

It is why media and spin doctors will always focus on electoral college votes.

Nixon won every state but Massachusetts in 1972. But there was no happy ending after all.

50% of the popular vote is NOT a landslide. :lol:

Dave Leip's Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections

very few (if any) landslides in American elections in my lifetime or yours.

It is why media and spin doctors will always focus on electoral college votes.

Nixon won every state but Massachusetts in 1972. But there was no happy ending after all.

1970s bumper sticker: Don't blame me, I'm from Massachusetts..

I think it was except Massachusetts and Washington D.C. - where they knew Nixon well. :lol:

and you are talking about an electoral college sweep. Nixon did win in a popular landslide in 1972, but we know why -- money in politics. The man was a crook and a liar. Welcome back to teh future

Obama got elected because most of those voting were not educated enough to know who would have been a better candidate. Most of them went off of what the media was feeding them. If every voter did their homework on all the candidates then we most likely would not be in the shape we are in now. In every election we have people voting on what they were told by their family, best friend, or the media rahter than finding out the facts themselves.

If you go to Youtube and look up some of the interviews of voters 'before' the election you will find many saying they were voting for Obama but not know why or their reasons would make no sence. My favorites were 'because he is a 'black' man' and 'because he is leading in the polls'. LOL, no intelligence there!

I didn't want either Obama nor McCain. I wanted Ron Paul as President. He was the only one with a good track record. He voted as he preached so to speak :D. If more people would have done the homework, I believe Ron Paul would have won.

I always liked Ron Paul's honesty. But he just is not an effective communicator, and he still isn't. At the time of the 08 campaign he hammered away on the follies of the federal reserve and I can guarantee only about 10% of the population had a clue what he was talking about. Now, of course, following the meltdown and the financial disaster which includes the fed's attempts to prop up the economy, more people have done their homework and have a better idea of what it's all about. Thus, Ron Paul's (and Rand's) sudden popularity.

Ronald Reagan 1980 = between 50% + 51% of the popular voted equaled a landslide? :lol:

1984 is the election everyone considers Reagan's landslide. 1980 was closer than it should have been, but then again incumbent Presidents don't lose.
unless you're Jimmy Carter.

I repeatedly hear the media talking heads and the con jobbers, refer to Reagan's landslide over Carter in 1980.

analysis fail..............

thats the sentiment only of the dummies on the far left.

The answer to this question is simple: Obama bamboozled the independents who elected him. Now they know he's a phoney which explains why a poll yesterday by Gallup had Bush at 44% and Obama at 46%. How fcukking funny is that?
Absolutely correct skook!

Obama was elected by ignorant people who were dazzled by the way he spoke. They didn't give a shit that he was nothing more than an empty suit. They would have voted for a fucking corpse if it were propped up in front of a podium and made to look all shiney and pretty.

Fact is, the majority of those who voted for Obama seriously thought the man farted rose scented fairy dust and shit ribbons of rainbows. SUBSTANCE BE DAMNED!.....''Obama's gonna pay my rent"

And now, we are paying a heavy price for these fools abject stupidity......Fuckin' idiots!

Thankfully, the independents woke up. And now, it is Obama and his fellow left wing loons who will be riding in the back of the bus. The independents FINALLY woke the fuck up and decided to "kick the tires". What they found was a vehicle that was nothing more than a giant piece o' shit, hence, a liberal drubbing last week.

Wicked bro......Im always right. the internet k00ks in here like to make this particular forum about ideology. Its a "Politics" forum:lol: People on the left hate to hell what I say but politics is a bottom line deal. In 2008, the left stood on top of the mountain. Politically, there was zero doubt. Now however, theres been a 180 degree turn and it is what it is. When 682 state legislators flip........THATS fcukking monumental. Its spinless.............except for the efforts of the k00ks

1984 is the election everyone considers Reagan's landslide. 1980 was closer than it should have been, but then again incumbent Presidents don't lose.
unless you're Jimmy Carter.

Or George H.W. Bush.

special circumstances.. 3 candidate race.

that doesn't matter. people voting for a candidate is what it is all about. at least in discussions about landslides and how well a candidate personally does.

analysis fail..............

thats the sentiment only of the dummies on the far left.

The answer to this question is simple: Obama bamboozled the independents who elected him. Now they know he's a phoney which explains why a poll yesterday by Gallup had Bush at 44% and Obama at 46%. How fcukking funny is that?

He's not being compared to Obama in a matchup, fool. Bush has gotten a slight bump because of all his appearances on television.

As Book Tour Begins, George W. Bush's Favorable Rating at 44%
Bush receives a 44% favorable and 53% unfavorable rating from Americans. This is up slightly from a 40% favorable rating in January 2009 when he left office

if people knew president obama as well as they have gotten to know him by now, would he defeat a relatively poor mccain campaign peddling an unknown female as vice? what about the race element?

The press failed miserably during the 2008 Campaign both the Primary and the General election. So enamored were they with a viable black candidate that they did no in depth fact checking, no in depth reporting and in fact most of them RAN INTERFERENCE for him.

The information was there the press either did not want to report it or did not even look.

The truth is, of course, that there were millions of bloggers digging around looking for (and posting/publishing) everything there was to be known about Obama. And when they ran out of dirt to embellish, some of them just made up shit.

if people knew president obama as well as they have gotten to know him by now, would he defeat a relatively poor mccain campaign peddling an unknown female as vice? what about the race element?

The press failed miserably during the 2008 Campaign both the Primary and the General election. So enamored were they with a viable black candidate that they did no in depth fact checking, no in depth reporting and in fact most of them RAN INTERFERENCE for him.

The information was there the press either did not want to report it or did not even look.

You're right and it is a fact that if you went against Obama then you were demonized as being racist. Also they new his eligibility problems and absolutely ignored it. Not one single MSM reporter never asked him face to face in a interview about why his college records were all sealed or asked him how he could be eligible for the office with a father who was a british national gave him dual citizenship. Obama admitted he wasn't a natural born citizen on his own website Fight The Smears during the campaign. Again, not one single reporter never brought it up to him in any interview.

I rest my case about making up shit.

The people choose Obama in retaliation for the Bush II's incompetence.

They just gave the GOP control of the house in retaliation for Obama's inability to solve the financial/employment crises.

Do you imagine that McCain/Palin would be doing any better?

I don't.

There is a limit to what government can do to change the fundamental problems we have in our economy.

Strangely, in this age of the ability to self-educate via the Internet, one would think a more enlightened electorate would know that. Instead, we have the radical proclamations that the government should stay the hell out of the business of private sector and the free market process, but on the next page the screaming turns to why hasn't the government done anything about jobs? WTF?

The truth is, of course, that there were millions of bloggers digging around looking for (and posting/publishing) everything there was to be known about Obama. And when they ran out of dirt to embellish, some of them just made up shit.

sweets.............you live in a fcukking bubble!!! How do yo miss THAT many meetings?

Look.......liberals would not exist except for making shit up, and I must admit, they do it well.

2653667060096575173MbjXKR_ph.jpg

Last edited:

i agree, but there was also abject denial. the information was out there, but there was also a fog of a dreamstate , and crowds of glossy eyed people, many of whom i thought i knew well.
there was a sutained mesmorization, lots of pretty lights, music and political poetry readings. i still think that he appealed to the weaker characters among us.
i still get a tingle up my leg just thinking about how great he is, has anyone ever gotten a second nobel peace prize?

Ronald Reagan seemed to have that same mezmerizing effect on people. I remember getting shivers up my spine whenever he spoke of America's greatness and the bands began playing. Is that also funny to you?

Forum List

Back