Was It Better Times Back Then?

How Were The 'Old Days' Better Than Today For You?

• Grew up in the 50s-60s.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Grew up in the 60s-70s

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Grew up in the 70s-80s

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Freely called minority groups slang names with no harm, mal-intent or fear.

• White was right, but you neither minded minorities and they didn't mind you.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cars actually looked different from one another and were really cool.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • Took guns and knives to school and no one cared.

• You got into fights, dusted yourself off, there was a winner and loser and no one freaked out.

• You went to school in all kinds of weather and didn't need mothered or protected getting there.

• You had a real stereo and played hard rock very loud.

• You built your own engines and hot rods and drove like a bat out of hell because gas was cheap.

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Smoked a lot of refer, pot, hash.

• Took LSD.

• Took a lot of pills.

• Took the hard stuff.

• Chased grls and they didn't mind.

• Took off every summer day on your bike for hours far and wide from home with your buddies.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • Threw apples on your neighbor's roofs.

• Pulled various neighborhood pranks, soaped windows, TP, stole X-mas lights.

• Didn't need supervised every hour of the day and your partents were glad you were gone.

Votes: 7 77.8%

• Total voters
Simpler or just more basic? Those 5 TV stations had more stuff on than 30 channels do now. It was GOOD programming, original ideas, comedy, variety shows not reality TV, and they only showed things ONCE.

Are you fucking kidding me? Television in the 1970's was largely CRAP!

And, no, frankly, all you really had on most of these channels were reruns of stuff that was cancelled in the 1950's and 1960's. It's how Star Trek got so popular.

Using a slide rule rather than an electronic calculator that just gives you the answer, watching The Big Valley and Perry Mason over 'America Can Dance' and 'Cops,' and having to actually find and research in books, understanding and putting things in your own words rather than clicking, copying and pasting and having everything right at your fingertips BUILT CHARACTER.

No, it just took longer. Heck, in my previous career, I had to do math pretty much all day. I'd never get anything done without a calculator and a computer spreadsheet.
70s had some amazing shows

All in the Family
MASH
Taxi
Barney Miller
Rockford Files
Columbo

And the debut of Saturday Night Live and Sesame Street

Last edited:
I would go back to the fifties for the music and the cars if I could take the net and central ac with me.

You ARE fucked in the head, admit it! The 1970s was perhaps the greatest epic period of television, including many pioneering and cutting edge programs including:

MASH
All In The Family
Happy Days
The Rockford Files
Taxi
Saturday Night Live
Hawaii Five-O
Kung Fu
Gunsmoke
Bonanza
Kolchak The Night Stalker
The Streets of San Francisco
Monty Python
Laugh-In and
Space: 1999

Okay. Space 1999 was crap. Kolchak got cancelled after one season. Kung Fu was crap. So were most of the rest of them.

You ARE fucked in the head, admit it! The 1970s was perhaps the greatest epic period of television, including many pioneering and cutting edge programs including:

MASH
All In The Family
Happy Days
The Rockford Files
Taxi
Saturday Night Live
Hawaii Five-O
Kung Fu
Gunsmoke
Bonanza
Monty Python
Laugh-In and

Okay. Space 1999 was crap. Kolchak got cancelled after one season. Kung Fu was crap. So were most of the rest of them.

MASH, All in the Family, Rockford, Taxi are classics and have held up well over time

Saturday Night Live and Sesame Street are still going strong after 40 years

MASH
All In The Family
Happy Days
The Rockford Files
Taxi
Saturday Night Live
Hawaii Five-O
Kung Fu
Gunsmoke
Bonanza
Monty Python
Laugh-In and

Star Trek was almost cancelled after one season. Proves nothing. These shows were so bad that is why they are STILL on TV being shown as reruns more than 40 years after their inception! Joe you obviously don't have the ability to tell the difference between good and bad, and things you simply do not like.

Really? How? When I was a kid we had a million things to do. We came home from school excited and energized. Now all the kids I see come home quiet, demoralized, tired-looking, go in their houses, lock the doors and get back on their cellphones and social media living in an unreal world while their parents worry they might get a pimple.

Actually, I remember being bored most days after school. At least after puberty when playing outside wasn't all that anymore.

Of course, I grew up in Chicago before Global Warming and we used to actually have winters.

Well if the murder rate stays about the same in Chicago the depopulation should help curb all the global warming.

Keep up the good work.

No question kids had more freedom

I got home from school, got on my bike and was gone till dinner. During the summer we were gone all day.
Sports were pickup games with whatever kids showed up. We made up the rules to accommodate
In the summer, I went camping with my friends. Not backyard camping, we would grab our tents and sleeping bags and go to a nearby creek or nearby mountain

Oh dear, another regressive trying to turn back the clock.

I thought you were a Progressive?

I got home from school, got on my bike and was gone till dinner. During the summer we were gone all day.
Sports were pickup games with whatever kids showed up. We made up the rules to accommodate
In the summer, I went camping with my friends. Not backyard camping, we would grab our tents and sleeping bags and go to a nearby creek or nearby mountain
So why do you insist on destroying such a society today?

Simpler or just more basic? Those 5 TV stations had more stuff on than 30 channels do now. It was GOOD programming, original ideas, comedy, variety shows not reality TV, and they only showed things ONCE.

Are you fucking kidding me? Television in the 1970's was largely CRAP!

And, no, frankly, all you really had on most of these channels were reruns of stuff that was cancelled in the 1950's and 1960's. It's how Star Trek got so popular.

Using a slide rule rather than an electronic calculator that just gives you the answer, watching The Big Valley and Perry Mason over 'America Can Dance' and 'Cops,' and having to actually find and research in books, understanding and putting things in your own words rather than clicking, copying and pasting and having everything right at your fingertips BUILT CHARACTER.

No, it just took longer. Heck, in my previous career, I had to do math pretty much all day. I'd never get anything done without a calculator and a computer spreadsheet.
The 70s was a goldmine of television entertainment compared to the shit we have today.

At my age, I've learned that you cannot turn back the clock. You accept what is and do your best to deal with it. I love reruns and watch them avidly. That is only because so much of what is produced today is pure garbage.

So why do you insist on destroying such a society today?
No idea what you are babbling about

Forum List

Back