Was Einstein wrong?

UPDATE:

Turns out they found out what was wrong after all.
A loose cable between the GPS and the computer was giving an improper time reading.
Sorry Neutrinos don't travel faster then light after all and relativity is safe (once again).
Was Einstein wrong - or was the cable loose? | Reuters

Not so fast: Scientists rethink stunning, faster-than-light particle finding | Fox News

A loose connection between a timer and a computer led some of the world’s smartest particle physicists to conclude that certain tiny particles called neutrinos moved faster than the speed of light -- a declaration that shocked the science world and would have called into questions Einstein’s theories.

But rather than invalidating the stunning superspeed finding, the flaw may have led scientists to underestimate it.

Citing sources familiar with the experiment, Science magazine’s website reported Wednesday that the 60-nanoseconds discrepancy that led to the startling speed conclusion came from a bad connection in a fiber optic cable connecting a GPS receiver (used to correct the timing of the neutrinos' flight) and a computer....

Yet a Thursday morning statement from CERN's OPERA team, the European science group that first reported the faster-than-light finding, noted that the faulty cable could have led to an undercalculation instead.

Neutrinos could move even faster than the speed of light than previously suggested, in other words.

Lol, God is fucking with the science community.

...and he doesnt exist...he's a gas card :lol:

UPDATE:

Turns out they found out what was wrong after all.
A loose cable between the GPS and the computer was giving an improper time reading.
Sorry Neutrinos don't travel faster then light after all and relativity is safe (once again).
Was Einstein wrong - or was the cable loose? | Reuters

Not so fast: Scientists rethink stunning, faster-than-light particle finding | Fox News

A loose connection between a timer and a computer led some of the world’s smartest particle physicists to conclude that certain tiny particles called neutrinos moved faster than the speed of light -- a declaration that shocked the science world and would have called into questions Einstein’s theories.

But rather than invalidating the stunning superspeed finding, the flaw may have led scientists to underestimate it.

Citing sources familiar with the experiment, Science magazine’s website reported Wednesday that the 60-nanoseconds discrepancy that led to the startling speed conclusion came from a bad connection in a fiber optic cable connecting a GPS receiver (used to correct the timing of the neutrinos' flight) and a computer....

Yet a Thursday morning statement from CERN's OPERA team, the European science group that first reported the faster-than-light finding, noted that the faulty cable could have led to an undercalculation instead.

Neutrinos could move even faster than the speed of light than previously suggested, in other words.

Lol, God is fucking with the science community.

...and he doesnt exist...he's a gas card :lol:
I am POSITIVE the upcoming tests will reveal the true answer, and I bet on Bachmann to be the Republican nominee.

The gist of the article as I read it is that it is not settled yet. The loose cable might not explain anything, but in fact might have masked an even faster trans-light speed.

Here is the press release from CERN

Also
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/24/s...use-of-technical-problems-cern-says.html?_r=1

The second potential error is in the fiber-optic cabling that carried the GPS data five miles to the underground detector. The investigation discovered that for dimmer light pulses, the circuit receiving the data introduced delay — up to 60 billionths of a second — that could bring the neutrinos’ speed back under the speed of light. The circuit has now been fixed.

The wire is now fixed and another round of tests will begin next month. The first error wont be fixed until May, so.... I guess we will be waiting til May or later, with a slight update in March or April.

I think you affirm the report I gave here in more detail.

But the important point is that we still dont know if the neutrinos went faster than light.

No we definetly still can't say that for sure based on these tests.
Further, it gives me doubts about other tests conducted over a (relatively) short distance. When one loose connection throws your entire experiment completely off, it gives me doubts about any experiment done at 2 different locations, when the travel time is probably less then 1 sec, involving most likely hundreds of cables. Further given that they can't even get an exact creation time for these nuetrinos, just an average creation time.

Forum List

Back