Was Al Gore Right?

Superlative

Mar 13, 2007
UN climate report approved

Top climate experts have warned that global warming will cause faster and wider damage than previously forecasted, ranging from hunger in Africa and Asia and rising ocean levels.

Around 100 nations in the UN climate panel agreed on a final text after all-night disputes, with scientists accusing governments of watering down their findings.

"We have an approved report," Rajendra Pachauri, the chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), said on Friday after the talks in Brussels.

The report by the IPCC, the top world authority on climate change grouping 2,500 scientists, will guide policy in coming years on issues such as extending the UN's Kyoto Protocol beyond 2012.

Gary Yohe, one of the report's lead authors, said China, Russia and Saudi Arabia had raised most objections during the night to a 21-page summary which makes clear that the poor will suffer most. Other participants also said the United States had toned down some passages.

Some scientists objected after China tried to eliminate a note saying that there was "very high confidence" that climate change was already affecting "many natural systems, on all continents and in some oceans".

China, the second largest source of greenhouse gases after the United States and ahead of Russia, wanted no mention of the level of confidence.

Bleakest report yet

Despite US and Chinese objections, delegates still managed to add a warning that some African nations might have to spend 5 to 10 per cent of gross domestic product on adapting to climate change.

Overall, the report is the bleakest UN assessment yet of the threat of climate change, predicting water shortages that could affect billions of people, extinctions of species and a rise in ocean levels that could go on for centuries.

The United States, China and Saudi Arabia lodged objections to sections of text and graphics that gave high-level warnings about some of these effects.

It says human greenhouse gas emissions, mostly from burning fossil fuels, are very likely to be the main cause of warming. It also says climate change could cause a sharp fall in crop yields in Africa, a thaw of Himalayan glaciers and more heat-waves for Europe and North America.

In one section, the IPCC toned down risks of extinctions, delegates said.

"Approximately 20 to 30 per cent of plant and animal species assessed so far are likely to be at increased risk of extinction if increases in global average temperature exceed 1.5 to 2.5 degrees Celsius [2.7 to 4.5 Fahrenheit]," the text said.

A previous draft had said 20 to 30 per cent of all species would be at "high risk" of extinction with those temperature rises.

Objections

The objections sparked a protest that politicians were meddling in the scientific assessment about climate change, the delegates said.

"This is the first time that the science is being questioned by politicians," one angry delegate was quoted as saying.

Data on the "highway to extinction" charts showed the deteriorating conditions in much of the world, particularly in poorer countries, with every degree of warming.

One delegate told the AFP news agency that while European members of the panel sought to include stronger language and hard statistics about the dangers of global warming, the US preferred general statements instead.

"The Europeans want to send a strong signal. The US does not want as much quantification," he said.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/D2A235BB-85A7-4C88-9847-A61622F524A2.htm

In February, the panel released a report that for the first time concluded with 90-percent certainty that humans were the main cause of warming since 1950.
At a news conference capping four days of debate between scientists and representatives from more than 100 governments....

The report, written by hundreds of scientists and reviewed by outside experts and government officials, warned that adaptation is essential because decades of rising temperatures and seas are already inevitable due to the buildup of carbon dioxide and other long-lived greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

Final details were completed by hundreds of scientists in Brussels early this morning and approved by officials from more than 100 countries. The report, focusing on measured and projected effects of warming and possible responses, was scheduled to be posted on the Web this morning at www.ipcc.ch.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/06/science/earth/06cnd-climate.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

Who cares if Al Gore was right or wrong? All you have to do is pay attention to the weather/climate and you can see that it's changing.

For instance, last summer we had a heat wave here where the temps exceeded 112 degrees for days... whereas that might be normal for some regions, it wasn't here. I live near the California coast, less than fifty miles as the crow flies. In all the years I have lived in this area, that was the hottest I have ever seen.

There are those that claim that global warming aka climate change is cyclic, and it very well may be. But...

One should ask anyone that'll listen, how many people were adversely affected by GW/CC the last time it happened? How many were displaced by the rising seas? How many starved because of drought induced crop failures? How many died in the land wars that are sure to ensue when populations are forced to move inland? What was the economic impact to civilization the last time we had GW/CC?

There are alot of people of the mind set that we have nothing to do with Climate change, and they have slammed Gore and his movie for it.

There are alot of people of the mind set that we have nothing to do with Climate change, and they have slammed Gore and his movie for it.

I know... and I bet that there are a few of them here too... laffs... so we'll see if they have any answers to my questions...

I doubt it. Cuz nay sayers rarely do, they just go "nay nay nay..."

:rofl:

The movie was very intersting...and I thought he presented himself well..and his arguement.

Our lakes are drying up here slowly..in my state.

Sure we get rain..here & there..It sure aint like it use to be.

We've had glaciers come & go...

What caught my eye was..the CO2 tests..and Earth's history levels of CO2...If that plays a major factor...then we are most definate helping it along.

I don't think we can stop it..I think we'd all have to be dying of thirst before most of us would lift a finger.

Where I live now..and having to haul my water up from a well...conserve my wood comsumption has made me play as..at least trying to do good.

It is hard...living in a city,so use to the faucet..and the thought everything is limitless.

If we can conserve..walk to the store a little more often..Maybe we can give our future kids down the road at least an extra glass of water...when the time comes.

I've seen huge factories puting crap into the air...beyond a doubt I know it makes this planet sick.

Creek

Of course he is right, he won an Oscar, didn't he? The academy is never wrong, are they?

I suggest you immediately stop driving your car and heating your house!

Also, don't buy anything that was made in a factory either.

Live up to your hero's ideals. :D

Of course you can always buy some asshole credits:

Scenes from Al Gore’s ENVIRONMENTAL BATTLEFIELD USA

me: “So let me get this straight: I pay you five dollars, and in return, you promise not to eat an ounce of roughage for, say, three days. Meanwhile, I can eat as much in the way of beans and cabbage as I want—and in the end, we’re both absolved from any responsibility for personal methane production...?”

poor Mexican migrant worker: ”Si.”

me: “Interesting.

me: “—So. Does this mean you have to follow me around and take the blame if I let one rip in a crowded elevator? Or is that, like, extra...?”

http://proteinwisdom.com/index.php?/weblog/entry/22542/

The U.N. report is a political, not a scientific, document. Many of the "scientists" they claim support the findings are social, not environmental, scientists. The pool was also carefully selected to exclude anyone who disagrees with the IPCC. IOW, it is not valid from either a statistical or scientific viewpoint.

Is global warming real? Yes.

Is global warming cyclical? Yes.

Do the activities of humans on the planet contribute to global warming? Yes.

How much do these activities contribute to global warming? I for one do not know and I'm not sure anyone else knows with any real certainty. It has been said that livestock raised for food contribute more to global warming than do humans.

Should we as a species do something to curtail the impact we have on the environment? Wouldn't hurt.

Remember, in the 1970's scientists were warning us about the next ice age. They were wrong.

"In February, the panel released a report that for the first time concluded with 90-percent certainty that humans were the main cause of warming since 1950."

In the early part of the twentieth century, more than 90% of scientists and doctors thought eugenics was a good idea. Again, they were wrong.

Is global warming real? Yes.

Is global warming cyclical? Yes.

Do the activities of humans on the planet contribute to global warming? Yes.

How much do these activities contribute to globalwarming? I for one do not know and I'm not sure anyone else knows with any real certainty. It has been said that livestock raised for food contribute more to global warming than do humans.

Should we as a species do something to curtail the imapact we have on the environment? Wouldn't hurt.

Remember, in the 1970's scientists were warning us about the next ice age. They were wrong.

"In February, the panel released a report that for the first time concluded with 90-percent certainty that humans were the main cause of warming since 1950."

In the early part of the twentieth century, more than 90% of scientists and doctors thought eugenics was a good idea. Again, they were wrong.

Very well said....The Earth has had a cycle of change...many a times.

Maybe we as a species are at the begining of a new change...

It also brings on evolution..things evolve to adapt.

This..whatever is happening...whether one way..or another has to be looked at.

Even if this is a natural course of life....we got to..well...I have a loss of words.

It's hard to even use CO'2 readings from the past..(100,000 years ago..to say that is the downfall as of what is happening today.

Our we living in a 100 year drought?..Maybe....

It sure is amazing one apartment..in an apartment complex can stink the whole place up....

You can only smoke so much in a room..a window has to be opened.

Even how we forested this planet..has not been taken serious since the begining of the mid 50's...

Did outerspace make all the air we breath?..and the water we drink?

This planet did..

Even if no global warming..or no change is happening...How we garden this planet is going to hell..on a shitter.

Global warming...is gona have to have proof like smoking is bad for your health...for any change here.

I've heard old peat fires burning in Russia...have an effect...Forest fires...Forests leveled to the ground etc..

Nature has a way of taking care of itself..If this be nature..so be it....But we have plundered this Earth....big time.

No...not keep your lights off...Throw the keys to your car away...Not gona happen..and a dam good point.

Sure as hell would be interesting..if each community had a control on the enviroment & the air they breath...I bet folks would wise up then.

Cities like the boy in the plastic bubble...

I am just bumbed..If this be the case...It be up to us...We are lucky to be bitching about it now..in the debate stage.

Good post....Made me think some...(handshake).

Creek

The IPCC report has been found to have more than a few holes in it.

I hate to keep repeating myself to anyone who read my reccomendation somewhere else, but check out 'Unstoppable Globabl Warming'. Science wise it's a little dense, but I learned a lot in the first 10 pages alone. One tid bit that they found was that increased CO2 does not cause the temperature to rise but exactley the opposite. Another is assuming this is cyclical we should be in a warming trend now and for about the next 400 years. So Creek, us MN boys may not see a decent winter like the one of our youths again, which is a bummer, gone may be the days for us of jumping off the roof into 10 ft snow banks.

Now, I'm not quite naive enough to say that humans aren't impacting the environment, but the more I read the more man made global warming doesn't add up. Specifically the lead proponent of it is not a scientist. I did watch the movie the other day. Well done from a dramatic stand point, and had I never read anything else I'd be inclined to believe him, but if you look at a few things you will notice there are no sources cited for any of the neato graphs he puts up and quotes extensively from the IPCC study which again has more than issue or two.

I reiterate.

There are those that claim that global warming aka climate change is cyclic, and it very well may be. But...

One should ask anyone that'll listen:

How many people were adversely affected by GW/CC the last time it happened?
How many were displaced by the rising seas?
How many starved because of drought induced crop failures? How many died in the land wars that are sure to ensue when populations are forced to move inland?
What was the economic impact to civilization the last time we had GW/CC?

Any answers?

A baseball game was snowed out yesterday in Cleveland. I have never seen that before.

Our contribution is about 5% of the co2 put into the enviorment. Cow farts contribute more, lets kill all the cows, and eat less beans.

Three days ago it was in the 70's here - today it is cold, windy, with snow flurries

What global warming?

I bet it won't be the last time, though. Baseball games snowed out in April, that is. Global warming is supposed to contribute to extremes in weather. Do you consider 112 degree heat where it's never been that hot before extreme? Do you consider the snow in Cleveland last night to be extreme? How about the snow in Atlanta?

Fifteen hundred climatologists/scientists contributed their views to the report that came out yesterday. They all agreed that we humans are the cause of the phenomenom usually referred to as Global Warming. Now I'm sure you'll find a scientist or two, paid by this oil company or that, that will be skeptical of what the IIPC says... but... for your children's future, how can you be sure that the 1500 are wrong?

How many people were adversely affected by GW/CC the last time it happened?
How many were displaced by the rising seas?
How many starved because of drought induced crop failures?
How many died in the land wars that ensued when populations were forced to move inland?
What was the economic impact to civilization the last time we had GW/CC?

As Temps Go Below Freezing & Snow Falls in April, Net Hype 'Dire' Global Warming
Posted by Brent Baker on April 6, 2007 - 20:34.
The ABC, CBS and NBC evening newscasts on Friday all hyped the “dire” warning on global warming from the UN's “prestigious” Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), with the CBS Evening News leading with two full stories. But ABC's Charles Gibson acknowledged “a bit of irony on the day global warming report was released,” given “parts of the Northeast are digging out from April snow” as “temperatures could be 20 to 40 degrees below normal,” making it “colder on Easter day than on Christmas day." NBC anchor Brian Williams followed up his newscast's global warming story with how “the problem isn't warming but what could be a record cold Easter weekend in parts of this country.” CBS anchor Russ Mitchell didn't point out any contradiction with the hyperbolic stories on global warming as he described the current weather simply as “strange” since “a Spring freeze is on” in the Northeast.

Mitchell teased his top story of the day: “Tonight, dire new predictions about disappearing species, melting glaciers, shrinking continents and more. Scientists say all the results of global warming.” Over on ABC, Gibson echoed: “Dire warning. The world's top scientists issue a stark forecast of drought, crop failure and floods because of climate change.” NBC's Williams hailed the “new report on global warming from a prestigious panel of scientists” who issued “blunt” findings: “Climate change is happening, it will lead to tremendous changes around the world that could have a very negative impact on the well-being of people, animals and entire ecosystems.”

The intros, and post-notes about the current weather, of the global warming stories on the April 6 evening newscasts:

ABC's World News. Charles Gibson, after leading with the return home by the Brits held in Iran:

“And the other major story today, a highly-anticipated report from the world's top scientists on the global warming. It is the clearest, most comprehensive statement yet on how industrial and motor vehicle emission are affecting the planet. It is a gloomy picture. And the report says in the immediate future, the effects of global warming can't be changed. Man just has to adapt. Which won't be easy.”
Gibson, after the story from Bill Blakemore:

“A bit of irony on the day global warming report was released. Parts of the Northeast are digging out from April snow. Much of the East is in for a very cold Easter weekend. Temperatures could be 20 to 40 degrees below normal. Colder on Easter day than on Christmas day.”

CBS Evening News. Fill-in anchor Russ Mitchell led:

“Good evening, Katie is off tonight. We are beginning this evening with that dramatic changes that are coming to our world, at least according to scientists out tonight with their latest predictions. They say heat waves will cut food production and increase wildfires. By 2020 as many as 250 million more people could go thirsty and if average temperatures increase just two degrees, it could put 30 percent of the world's species at a greater risk of extinction.”
Mitchell, after reports from Mark Phillips and Jerry Bowen:

“Strange weather is certainly on a lot of minds in the Northeast tonight where a Spring freeze is on. Up to a foot and a half of snow fell this week in parts of Maine and New Hampshire, bringing down trees and power lines. Utility crews are still working tonight to get power back. At one point, 180,000 homes and businesses were in the dark. And it was cold, relatively speaking, in paradise. The temperature in Hawaii yesterday got as low as 57 degrees. It was a record for that date.

NBC Nightly News. Brian Williams:

“Now to a new report on global warming from a prestigious panel of scientists convened by the UN. The findings are blunt: Climate change is happening, it will lead to tremendous changes around the world that could have a very negative impact on the well-being of people, animals and entire ecosystems.”
Williams, after Anne Thompson's piece:

“Now we should add for the near future, this weekend, the problem isn't warming but what could be a record cold Easter weekend in parts of this country, especially the South. Much of the nation feeling the grip of a cold weather system that has already led to the cancellation of two major league ball games and a snow delay for the Mariners-Indians game this afternoon. And, by the way, it's predicted to be freezing, 32 degrees at tee-off time at the Masters final round on Sunday in Augusta, Georgia.”

http://newsbusters.org/node/11891

UN climate report

Climate change. its called Climate change, and it was originally dubbed incorrectly as Global Warming, and people still use it cause that was the first term that was forced down their throats.

Its funny that you make fun of that fact that people do exactly what you do and REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT what they've memorized so unthinkingly.

Draw light to the fact that it was incorrectly dubbed "Global Warming", and the planets weather changes and gets colder in regions, hilarious.

UN climate report

Climate change. its called Climate change, and it was originally dubbed incorrectly as Global Warming, and people still use it cause that was the first term that was forced down their throats.

Its funny that you make fun of that fact that people do exactly what you do and REPEAT REPEAT REPEAT what they've memorized so unthinkingly.

Draw light to the fact that it was incorrectly dubbed "Global Warming", and the planets weather changes and gets colder in regions, hilarious.

I was to attend the last Congressional hearing on Climate Change but it was cancelled due to a snow storm in DC

Forum List

Back