Was Al Gore Right?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Superlative, Apr 6, 2007.

1. Superlative

Superlative Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    UN climate report approved

Top climate experts have warned that global warming will cause faster and wider damage than previously forecasted, ranging from hunger in Africa and Asia and rising ocean levels.

Around 100 nations in the UN climate panel agreed on a final text after all-night disputes, with scientists accusing governments of watering down their findings.

"We have an approved report," Rajendra Pachauri, the chair of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), said on Friday after the talks in Brussels.

The report by the IPCC, the top world authority on climate change grouping 2,500 scientists, will guide policy in coming years on issues such as extending the UN's Kyoto Protocol beyond 2012.

Gary Yohe, one of the report's lead authors, said China, Russia and Saudi Arabia had raised most objections during the night to a 21-page summary which makes clear that the poor will suffer most. Other participants also said the United States had toned down some passages.

Some scientists objected after China tried to eliminate a note saying that there was "very high confidence" that climate change was already affecting "many natural systems, on all continents and in some oceans".

China, the second largest source of greenhouse gases after the United States and ahead of Russia, wanted no mention of the level of confidence.

Bleakest report yet

Despite US and Chinese objections, delegates still managed to add a warning that some African nations might have to spend 5 to 10 per cent of gross domestic product on adapting to climate change.

Overall, the report is the bleakest UN assessment yet of the threat of climate change, predicting water shortages that could affect billions of people, extinctions of species and a rise in ocean levels that could go on for centuries.

The United States, China and Saudi Arabia lodged objections to sections of text and graphics that gave high-level warnings about some of these effects.

It says human greenhouse gas emissions, mostly from burning fossil fuels, are very likely to be the main cause of warming. It also says climate change could cause a sharp fall in crop yields in Africa, a thaw of Himalayan glaciers and more heat-waves for Europe and North America.

In one section, the IPCC toned down risks of extinctions, delegates said.

"Approximately 20 to 30 per cent of plant and animal species assessed so far are likely to be at increased risk of extinction if increases in global average temperature exceed 1.5 to 2.5 degrees Celsius [2.7 to 4.5 Fahrenheit]," the text said.

A previous draft had said 20 to 30 per cent of all species would be at "high risk" of extinction with those temperature rises.

Objections

The objections sparked a protest that politicians were meddling in the scientific assessment about climate change, the delegates said.

"This is the first time that the science is being questioned by politicians," one angry delegate was quoted as saying.

Data on the "highway to extinction" charts showed the deteriorating conditions in much of the world, particularly in poorer countries, with every degree of warming.

One delegate told the AFP news agency that while European members of the panel sought to include stronger language and hard statistics about the dangers of global warming, the US preferred general statements instead.

"The Europeans want to send a strong signal. The US does not want as much quantification," he said.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/D2A235BB-85A7-4C88-9847-A61622F524A2.htm

2. Superlative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    In February, the panel released a report that for the first time concluded with 90-percent certainty that humans were the main cause of warming since 1950.
    At a news conference capping four days of debate between scientists and representatives from more than 100 governments....

The report, written by hundreds of scientists and reviewed by outside experts and government officials, warned that adaptation is essential because decades of rising temperatures and seas are already inevitable due to the buildup of carbon dioxide and other long-lived greenhouse gases in the atmosphere.

Final details were completed by hundreds of scientists in Brussels early this morning and approved by officials from more than 100 countries. The report, focusing on measured and projected effects of warming and possible responses, was scheduled to be posted on the Web this morning at www.ipcc.ch.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/06/science/earth/06cnd-climate.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin

3. TheStripey1

TheStripey1 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Who cares if Al Gore was right or wrong? All you have to do is pay attention to the weather/climate and you can see that it's changing.

For instance, last summer we had a heat wave here where the temps exceeded 112 degrees for days... whereas that might be normal for some regions, it wasn't here. I live near the California coast, less than fifty miles as the crow flies. In all the years I have lived in this area, that was the hottest I have ever seen.

There are those that claim that global warming aka climate change is cyclic, and it very well may be. But...

One should ask anyone that'll listen, how many people were adversely affected by GW/CC the last time it happened? How many were displaced by the rising seas? How many starved because of drought induced crop failures? How many died in the land wars that are sure to ensue when populations are forced to move inland? What was the economic impact to civilization the last time we had GW/CC?

4. Superlative

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +109
    There are alot of people of the mind set that we have nothing to do with Climate change, and they have slammed Gore and his movie for it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. TheStripey1

TheStripey1 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I know... and I bet that there are a few of them here too... laffs... so we'll see if they have any answers to my questions...

I doubt it. Cuz nay sayers rarely do, they just go "nay nay nay..."

:rofl:

6. Creek_George

Creek_George Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The movie was very intersting...and I thought he presented himself well..and his arguement.

Our lakes are drying up here slowly..in my state.

Sure we get rain..here & there..It sure aint like it use to be.

We've had glaciers come & go...

What caught my eye was..the CO2 tests..and Earth's history levels of CO2...If that plays a major factor...then we are most definate helping it along.

I don't think we can stop it..I think we'd all have to be dying of thirst before most of us would lift a finger.

Where I live now..and having to haul my water up from a well...conserve my wood comsumption has made me play as..at least trying to do good.

It is hard...living in a city,so use to the faucet..and the thought everything is limitless.

If we can conserve..walk to the store a little more often..Maybe we can give our future kids down the road at least an extra glass of water...when the time comes.

I've seen huge factories puting crap into the air...beyond a doubt I know it makes this planet sick.

Creek

7. roomy

roomy The Natural

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +950
    Of course he is right, he won an Oscar, didn't he? The academy is never wrong, are they?

8. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Bad Mother****er

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +503
    Saving Private Ryan losing to Shakespeare in Love....'nuff said.

9. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    I suggest you immediately stop driving your car and heating your house!

Also, don't buy anything that was made in a factory either.

Live up to your hero's ideals. :D

Of course you can always buy some asshole credits:

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  10. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,732
    The U.N. report is a political, not a scientific, document. Many of the "scientists" they claim support the findings are social, not environmental, scientists. The pool was also carefully selected to exclude anyone who disagrees with the IPCC. IOW, it is not valid from either a statistical or scientific viewpoint.