Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
:eusa_doh:

U.K. Professor Wants Government To Fight Obesity

POSTED: 1:14 pm EST December 15, 2006

How intrusive is too intrusive?

Survey: Warning On Clothing?
A leading professor in the U.K. said that obese people should be warned about the health risks of their weight when buying clothes, according to The Daily Mail.

Naveed Sattar, professor of metabolic medicine at the University of Glasgow, said that oversized clothing should have obesity help line numbers sewn on them to try to reduce Britain's obesity crisis.

The professor made the recommendations in this week's issue of the British Medical Journal.

Sir George Albert, the U.K.'s national director for emergency care, joined other health professionals in their recommendations. He wants the government to take a more proactive response to obesity.

The suggestion would be to put the label on all clothes with waist sizes over 37 inches for boys or 31 inches for girls. Women's clothes over size 16 would also get a label.

The paper reported that Sattar also believes new urban roads should only be built if they include a separate lane for bicyclists.The professor also said that new housing complexes should all include sports facilities and park areas.

Britain's obesity problem could bankrupt its health system if nothing is done to stop it, according to Sattar. The British Medical Journal reported that more than half of the U.K.'s population is overweight and more than one in five adults is obese.

Treating obese people in that country takes up about 9 percent of the health budget, the Mail reported.

Sattar thinks there should be more political intervention. He told the journal that he also wants food manufacturers to display nutrition information on the content of all meals and snacks at retail and catering outlets.

"People clearly have some responsibility for their health, but society and government have a responsibility to make the preferred, easy choices healthier ones," Sattar said.

Sattar said in the journal that education should be provided at all levels to change behavior towards diet and physical activity, and obesity made a core part of all medical training, according to a press release.
http://www.theindychannel.com/health/10546326/detail.html

I don't think it's "mean." It's "meaner" to allow people to think they are "okay" being grossly overweight, that fat is somehow beautiful, and it doesn't do any harm to people.

However, I don't think it's the government's business to regulate people's food intake.

I don't think it's "mean." It's "meaner" to allow people to think they are "okay" being grossly overweight, that fat is somehow beautiful, and it doesn't do any harm to people.

However, I don't think it's the government's business to regulate people's food intake.

You think someone buying fattie clothes doesn't already know she's overweight?

You think someone buying fattie clothes doesn't already know she's overweight?

Of course he/she probably knows they are overweight. What they may NOT know is what to do to fight the problem. A discreet label inside plus-sixe clothes is not "mean." It could be very helpful.

I think Professor Sattar needs a life. That might be one of the dumbest and meanest things I've ever heard of. :cuckoo:

Yeah, I have to agree. Most obese people already know they are in a health risk. Imagine two ton Tom going to buy clothes at the BIG & LARGE clothing store then he comes across a label on his clothes, "Umm, well ok this label is warning me of being overweight. Yes right, I will change my ways". The idea is absurd.

Of course he/she probably knows they are overweight. What they may NOT know is what to do to fight the problem. A discreet label inside plus-sixe clothes is not "mean." It could be very helpful.

And we have 10 year old anorexics because we're already obsessed as a society about weight. If you've ever known anyone with an eating disorder, whether it's anorexia, bolemia, or obesity, you'd know that this is just an evil idea. I know size 4's who make themselves throw up after eating a teaspoon of ice cream. The last thing obese people need is a warning label. Unlike smoking, the results are in their faces pretty much all the time.

How about any affirmative action ? Here--you get to do this because you black and can't figure out how to do it yourself?? I guess you think that's mean too?

And we have 10 year old anorexics because we're already obsessed as a society about weight. If you've ever known anyone with an eating disorder, whether it's anorexia, bolemia, or obesity, you'd know that this is just an evil idea. I know size 4's who make themselves throw up after eating a teaspoon of ice cream. The last thing obese people need is a warning label. Unlike smoking, the results are in their faces pretty much all the time.

Then, why don't they get help? People can be very adept at ignoring what is right in front of their faces. The label is not saying "YOU ARE HELPLESSLY FAT!" The proposed label gives a help number, so that people who may not know what to do might be given hope. Others who do not want help will just ignore it, the way they ignore the discomfort of obesity or of vomiting.

Just to clarify my position, I am not "for" the label; I just don't think it is mean to offer a help number to people who need it.

Then, why don't they get help? People can be very adept at ignoring what is right in front of their faces. The label is not saying "YOU ARE HELPLESSLY FAT!" The proposed label gives a help number, so that people who may not know what to do might be given hope. Others who do not want help will just ignore it, the way they ignore the discomfort of obesity or of vomiting.

Just to clarify my position, I am not "for" the label; I just don't think it is mean to offer a help number to people who need it.

Nienna---people are easily offended by everything. We are not to help unless it is asked for. :cuckoo: :rofl:

If people want help, they'll seek it out. Plus, I've known some really overweight people and they already find shopping torturous.

Forum List

Back