Warning for NYC

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
I'd say put this with the Mexican one from yesterday. Something seems to be up! :terror:

found several more stories, but this one seems to have the most info:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/217989p-187540c.html

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...01/ap_on_re_us/terror_threat&cid=519&ncid=716

NYC Police Issue Warning of Terror Threat

48 minutes ago

NEW YORK - New intelligence that the al-Qaida terrorist network plans to attack commercial or financial institutions in New York City has prompted police to urge security directors at various city buildings to take extra precautions.

The warning, announced Saturday night, didn't say how the attacks might be carried out or when they would occur.

But ABC News, citing anonymous sources, reported Saturday night that al-Qaida planned to send terrorists across the Mexican border into the United States, and that suicide attacks were being planned in the city.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne told The New York Times for Sunday editions that the warning to bolster security came after talks Friday night and Saturday between Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly and Pasquale Damuro, assistant director in charge of the FBI (news - web sites)'s New York office.

Browne would not elaborate further, the Times said.

The city's alert level remained at "orange," the second-highest point on the five-step terror alert program set up after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. The city has stayed at that level since the attacks.

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge was expected to visit the city Sunday, but his agenda was not disclosed.

Oh yeah. Now I gotta worry about an unspecific threat on financial and commercial institutions in NYC. That's my entire job - to be in financial and commercial institutions! I even commute through Grand Central...there's a joke about how many people do that. Now I gotta find another way to get to NYC?????

Moi said:
Oh yeah. Now I gotta worry about an unspecific threat on financial and commercial institutions in NYC. That's my entire job - to be in financial and commercial institutions! I even commute through Grand Central...there's a joke about how many people do that. Now I gotta find another way to get to NYC?????

I thought of you and Jim right away. The other day I saw some of the posts from back about what everyone was doing on 9/11. I'm getting creepy feelings this morning, finding the oddest things and too many of them.

Kathianne said:
I thought of you and Jim right away. The other day I saw some of the posts from back about what everyone was doing on 9/11. I'm getting creepy feelings this morning, finding the oddest things and too many of them.
Don't worry about Jim...he's not in NYC anymore. His new job is in the suburbs and we don't actually live in NYC anymore either. Just outside.

Man, these dingbats in the government better learn to give out useful information...either that or allow me to carry during the day. At least then I'd have a fighting chance!

I carry two $100 bills on my person now at all times so I can hire a car to take me home in an emergency...mostly because of the blackout last year...I spent the night in my office. But, it never hurts to be prepared.

Moi said:
Don't worry about Jim...he's not in NYC anymore. His new job is in the suburbs and we don't actually live in NYC anymore either. Just outside.

Man, these dingbats in the government better learn to give out useful information...either that or allow me to carry during the day. At least then I'd have a fighting chance!

I carry two $100 bills on my person now at all times so I can hire a car to take me home in an emergency...mostly because of the blackout last year...I spent the night in my office. But, it never hurts to be prepared.

Glad to hear it! I think ultimately we have to just be as aware as we can-seems the info is always sketchy and they give as much as they have-at least regarding 'potential attacks.' I think we hear very little about thwarted attacks, though I'm unsure why.

Kathianne said:
I'd say put this with the Mexican one from yesterday. Something seems to be up! :terror:

found several more stories, but this one seems to have the most info:

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/local/story/217989p-187540c.html

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...01/ap_on_re_us/terror_threat&cid=519&ncid=716

Yahoo has updated and added:

Looks like that Mexico connection did exist! Sometimes I scare myself. (note to self: Get rid of creepy feeling!)

NEW YORK - New intelligence that the al-Qaida terrorist network plans to attack financial or international institutions in New York City has prompted police to urge extra security precautions at various city buildings.

The warning, announced Saturday night, didn't say how the attacks might be carried out or when they would occur.

But ABC News, citing anonymous sources, reported Saturday night that al-Qaida planned to send terrorists across the Mexican border into the United States, and that suicide attacks were being planned in the city, possibly using trucks.

The network said attacks may be planned between now and Election Day. The Republican convention begins in New York on Aug. 30.

A woman with a South African passport was arrested near the U.S.-Mexico border last week when she tried to board a flight to New York with about $7,000 in cash. Officials told The Associated Press they were investigating whether Farida Goolam Mohamed Ahmed, 48, had ties to al-Qaida or other terrorist groups.

The city's alert level remained at "orange," the second-highest point on the five-step terror alert program set up after the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. The city has stayed at that level since the attacks.

Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge was expected to visit the city Sunday, but his agenda was not disclosed.

According to court documents, Ahmed, 48, provided a South African passport that was missing four pages. ABC reported that she was of Pakistani origin.

According to flight itineraries, Ahmed traveled from Johannesburg through Dubai, United Arab Emirates, to London and on to Mexico City. Authorities said she later told them she was smuggled into the United States from Mexico by crossing the Rio Grande.

Kyle Welch, Ahmed's court-appointed attorney, said his client is not charged with any terrorist activity and does not have a criminal record. She was denied bond on Tuesday.

Rep. Solomon Ortiz (news, bio, voting record), the ranking Democrat on the House Armed Services Subcommittee on Readiness, said "very credible" people told him Ahmed has traveled within the United States more than 250 times.

The Associated Press reported last week that authorities believed crime syndicates operating within the South African government were believed to be selling illegal passports for as little as $77 apiece.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne told The New York Times for Sunday editions that the warning to bolster security came after talks Friday night and Saturday between Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly and Pasquale Damuro, assistant director in charge of the FBI (news - web sites)'s New York office.

Police had no additional comment when contacted by The Associated Press on Sunday.

The warning gave tips on general business security measures, such as checking employee identification cards and updating emergency plans.

It also gave some things to look out for, including unanticipated deliveries or maintenance work, people taking unusual video or photographs, and visitors claiming to be lost or looking disoriented. The warning also said bomb threats may be used to evaluate emergency response time.

Fox News reporting a press conference from Tom Ridge coming some time today. I think they said a couple of hours. Supposedly very unusual to do this on a Sunday. Somethings a brewin. Like I said in my other thread,the NY threats,the churches in Iraq,the story of the lady and all the Arabs on the airplane. I think they are just trying to figure out exactly when it will happen as opposed to if it will happen at all.

krisy said:
Fox News reporting a press conference from Tom Ridge coming some time today. I think they said a couple of hours. Supposedly very unusual to do this on a Sunday. Somethings a brewin. Like I said in my other thread,the NY threats,the churches in Iraq,the story of the lady and all the Arabs on the airplane. I think they are just trying to figure out exactly when it will happen as opposed to if it will happen at all.

All you said and that Mexican connection. :terror:

krisy said:

Press conference set for 2 EST.

Kathianne said:
Press conference set for 2 EST.

Bloomberg to be giving press conference at 4 EST. Just announced.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040801/ap_on_re_us/terror_threat

Government Considers Raising Threat Level

1 minute ago

By JENNIFER C. KERR, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The government is considering raising the threat level in Washington and New York City and for financial companies, a Homeland Security Department official said Sunday.

Secretary Tom Ridge planned to discuss the alert status at an afternoon news conference at department headquarters. It was not immediately known what intelligence was leading the government to consider such action.

New York's status has remained at orange, indicating a high risk of terrorist attack, since Sept. 11, 2001, and a change to red would not mean dramatic changes in the city, said the Homeland Security official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Washington and elsewhere are on yellow, or elevated status of risk; that is in the middle of the five-color scale.

New intelligence that the al-Qaida terrorist network plans to attack financial or international institutions in New York has led police to urge extra security precautions at various city buildings.

Listening to Mayor Bloombergs' conference now----and it took less than 5 minutes for some reporter to suggest it was a political ploy. The media is REALLY gonna help us thru this one !
:blowup:

dilloduck said:
Listening to Mayor Bloombergs' conference now----and it took less than 5 minutes for some reporter to suggest it was a political ploy. The media is REALLY gonna help us thru this one !
:blowup:

Doesn't that make you sick?!!! Sometimes(well a lot) the media just makes complete fools of themselves by completely taking the attention of the real subject and putting it on their political side. I'm sure they are going to go through all this crap today just so Bush can get re elected.

:slap: :bs1:

Just found this;

U.S. Warns of Threat to Financial Icons

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge gestures as he holds a press conference at the Office of Homeland Security Sunday, Aug. 1, 2004 in Washington. The federal government warned Sunday of possible terrorist attacks against "iconic" financial institutions in New York City, Washington and Newark, New Jersey, saying a confluence of intelligence over the weekend pointed to a car or truck bomb. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

August 1, 2004 03:35 PM EDT

WASHINGTON - The federal government warned Sunday of possible terrorist attacks against "iconic" financial institutions in New York City, Washington and Newark, N.J., saying a confluence of chilling intelligence in recent days pointed to a car or truck bomb.

The government said the new intelligence indicated the meticulous planning of al-Qaida. Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge identified explosives as the likely mode of attack, as opposed to a chemical or biological attack or a radiological "dirty" bomb.

In an unprecedented action, the government named these specific buildings in densely populated areas as potential targets:

-Citigroup buildings and the New York Stock Exchange in New York City.

-The International Monetary Fund and the World Bank buildings in Washington.

-Prudential financial in northern New Jersey.

"The preferred means of attack would be car or truck bombs," Homeland Security Secretary Tom Ridge said in a briefing with journalists. "That would be a primary means of attack," he said.

The government said the new intelligence indicated the meticulous planning of al-Qaida. Ridge identified explosives as the likely mode of attack, as opposed to a chemical or biological attack or a radiological "dirty" bomb.

Ridge said the government's threat level for financial institutions in just these three cities would be raised to orange, or high alert, but would remain at yellow, or elevated, elsewhere.

The official said the intelligence gathered from several sources included security in and around these buildings; the flow of pedestrians; the best places for reconnaissance; how to make contact with employees who work in the buildings; the construction of the buildings; traffic patterns; locations of hospitals and police departments; and which days of the week present less security at these buildings.

To illustrate the level of detail included in the intelligence, the official cited these examples: midweek pedestrian traffic of 14 people per minute on each side of the street for a total of 28 people; that some explosives might not be hot enough to melt steel; and that the construction of some buildings might prevent them from falling down.

The official said he had not seen such extraordinary detail in his 24 years in intelligence work.

A U.S. counterterrorism official said the threat information is based in large part on documentary evidence obtained by CIA in successful counterterrorist operations, working independently and in concert with other countries. Some other information also played a part in the warning.

Ridge said it would be up to New York City officials to decide whether to move to the highest level, red. The city has remained on orange since the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001.

The threat potential remains through the Nov. 2 elections, Ridge said.

The secretary said the government took the unprecedented step of naming particular buildings because of the level of specificity of the intelligence. "This is not the usual chatter. This is multiple sources that involve extraordinary detail," Ridge said. He said the government decided to notify the public because of the specificity of detail it had obtained.

Ridge acknowledged that protecting these buildings, located in heavily populated areas, would require additional security measures, especially because thousands of cars and trucks travel through these cities daily.

"Car and truck bombs are one of the most difficult tasks we have in the war on terror," Ridge said.

Local and state officials were notified earlier in the day and Ridge said new security procedures were already being put in place.

The exchange and the Washington institutions were to open for business Monday.

An NYSE spokesman declined comment on security, but increased measures since the Sept. 11 attacks have included barricades on all sides and checkpoints to enter the building. A Citigroup spokesman cited a company e-mail to employees that said they should expect to see tighter security at all of its New York buildings.

In the capital, the FBI, Secret Service and city police will provide additional security. Messages for Prudential officials were not immediately returned.

A White House spokeswoman, Erin Healy, said the intelligence on the threat was "very new, coming in during the last 72 hours."

"The president made the final decision today agreeing with the recommendation of Secretary Ridge to go ahead and raise the threat level in these select areas," Healy said.

This was the first time the color-coded warning system had been used in such a narrow, targeted way, Ridge said at a news conference at department headquarters.

"With this kind of information comes action," Ridge said. "This is sobering news."

Referring to terrorists who are hostile to the United States, Ridge said, "Iconic economic targets are at the heart of their interest."

He said workers at the five specific buildings should get guidance from security officers at each site and remain alert as they go to work.

The government's warning came four weeks before the Republican National Convention in New York, which will draw more than 30,000 people, including top government officials and the president.

Ridge sidestepped a question about whether the convention should go ahead - its main item of business is formally nominating Bush. Ridge said only that New York already operates at an extraordinary level of security and the city would draw additional protective measures from the government as a national security event.

The Democratic National Convention just ended Thursday night in Boston, where nominee John Kerry emphasized his national security credentials. Some Democrats had grumbled last month when the Justice Department announced a higher threat existed in the window through the elections.

An intelligence briefing with federal officials was trying to be arrange for Kerry on Sunday night while he was campaigning in Michigan.

I watched this press conference. Very interesting. Of course,is nothing happens,someone will be running their mouth-mark my words. There is a lot going on right now and I am glad they are being so cautious. The terrorist have had plenty of time to regroup and come into more money. Hopefully,we will be successful in stopping it from going any further.

krisy said:
I watched this press conference. Very interesting. Of course,is nothing happens,someone will be running their mouth-mark my words. There is a lot going on right now and I am glad they are being so cautious. The terrorist have had plenty of time to regroup and come into more money. Hopefully,we will be successful in stopping it from going any further.

Does anyone feel suspicious of the fact that everyone now knows about a suspected NY Wallstreet attack which is pretty well known and expected. With all the intelligence assests America posses, does anyone feel that this attack scare is either an Islamic ruse or is really planned somewhere else in the USA where not expected?

Look at it. The attack damage is now accomplished without any attack by terrorists by the fear and panic being spread through the media and Internet. Tomorrow the market will drop like a rock on all this unidentifiable and unverifiable early warnings.

Does anyone really believe that the terrorists are so stupid as to attack the US again without real repercussions from the hawkish President Bush? Do you think Israel will not react when their apparent ally is attacked this time?

Forum List

Back