warning : discussion of race in America, likely to be unpleasant

It's easy to see why Black women would prefer to date out of the race. 50% of young Black men are or have been involved in the prison system in some way. Only some of that is caused by police prejudice. Some of it has to do with the fact that Black men are the most violent and lawless demographic we've got.

But maybe your coworker would have done better by asking if you had any mature friends she could go out with. By writing off all Black men, she's narrowing her world.

Maybe she was generalising

Quoting myself here.

"So if I meet a Black person, does that mean that I assume they voted Democratic? No."

Come on man, make the effort.

True enough, I had a brain-fart there I think.

It's unpleasant only because people are unwilling to face the truth. The truth about themselves and the truth about others. They would rather paint each other with a stereotype rather than look at themselves and change their own hearts and minds.

You criticize those who advocate a color blind society. How do you expect people to get over race hang ups until they start ignoring race and looking at the merits of their actions?

We all need to take responsibility for our actions as individuals and learn to love our neighbor as ourself. I don't think this will ever happen as long as we continue to emphasize race as important when it's not.

Well I'll disagree right back.
Generalising about a race is applying a blanket assessment/judgement/understanding upon the whole population within that race.
It's bound to be wrong.
You, yourself, then pointed out that judging individuals based on a generalisation of their race is bad, which seems to contradict your first point.
In any case, I do agree that you can't pretend that race isn't an issue and shouldn't be discussed.

How about this as an example? 90% of Black voters vote for Democrats. That's a generalization. It's also true. So if I meet a Black person, does that mean that I assume they voted Democratic? No.

It's just about impossible to resolve our race relations if we don't talk about race. Is there any other way to talk about race than by making generalizations? The important thing is to form the right generalizations, based on real information and interaction, and to always keep in mind that any particular person may or may not match.

So when you meet a black person you'll immediately label them a Democrat voter based on your generalisation of blacks?

That swings both ways.

My wife is black, and when she voted in the primary a few years ago a black woman was running the voting machines, never even asked her which party. She just loaded Democrat in the machine.

My wife went off.

It's unpleasant only because people are unwilling to face the truth. The truth about themselves and the truth about others. They would rather paint each other with a stereotype rather than look at themselves and change their own hearts and minds.

You criticize those who advocate a color blind society. How do you expect people to get over race hang ups until they start ignoring race and looking at the merits of their actions?

We all need to take responsibility for our actions as individuals and learn to love our neighbor as ourself. I don't think this will ever happen as long as we continue to emphasize race as important when it's not.

Actually, the conversation turned out to be pretty pleasant. I'm surprised. I think maybe I kinda forced everyone to be civil and nonpartisan.

But to your point. I think that color blind society is the end goal. For instance in King's speech, his dream. But that was in the future. He didn't try to give the whole speech from a color blind perspective.

Why do we need to talk about race? Because it is so central to our society, and that's not going to change if we ignore it. People are perceived differently. And then people are treated differently. So people have similar opportunities, similar obstacles. They end up in similar situations.

This would happen whether we talked about it or not. Further more, it's not just a mistake. There are still those who are proudly racist. And they're not just going to stop because we stop talking about race. We have a responsibility to stop them, in word and in deed, and to do that we need to talk about it.

Most people that I know could care less what color your skin is. It’s you the person that matters much of the problem is the culture that more than anything else its he stumbling block to good relations.

If a person is all decked out in gang wear yes I’m going to look and treat you like a little douche waffle and quite frankly not give you a chance. However if you dress and act like any other level headed individual that you get the same respect as everyone else.

The race thing is entirely 20 years ago in today society it simply doesn’t exist if it did than how would you explain other races doing so well.

There needs to be a fundamental change in the black culture Cosby has it right when he took his culture to task for not doing the right thing. Mind you this was a Black man telling his people they and they alone are responsible.

How about this as an example? 90% of Black voters vote for Democrats. That's a generalization. It's also true. So if I meet a Black person, does that mean that I assume they voted Democratic? No.

It's just about impossible to resolve our race relations if we don't talk about race. Is there any other way to talk about race than by making generalizations? The important thing is to form the right generalizations, based on real information and interaction, and to always keep in mind that any particular person may or may not match.

So when you meet a black person you'll immediately label them a Democrat voter based on your generalisation of blacks?

That swings both ways.

My wife is black, and when she voted in the primary a few years ago a black woman was running the voting machines, never even asked her which party. She just loaded Democrat in the machine.

My wife went off.

Like a sign "Black Vote Here" with an arrow pointing to a garbage can.

Actually, the conversation turned out to be pretty pleasant. I'm surprised. I think maybe I kinda forced everyone to be civil and nonpartisan.

But to your point. I think that color blind society is the end goal. For instance in King's speech, his dream. But that was in the future. He didn't try to give the whole speech from a color blind perspective.

Why do we need to talk about race? Because it is so central to our society, and that's not going to change if we ignore it. People are perceived differently. And then people are treated differently. So people have similar opportunities, similar obstacles. They end up in similar situations.

This would happen whether we talked about it or not. Further more, it's not just a mistake. There are still those who are proudly racist. And they're not just going to stop because we stop talking about race. We have a responsibility to stop them, in word and in deed, and to do that we need to talk about it.
You could start with Louis Farrakhan and then move on to The New Black Panthers. That would be a great start.

^^^"Mind you this was a Black man telling his people they and they alone are responsible."

False. Watch the end of the video. Also, I disagree with your point in general. That racism is dead. There are still active white supremacist groups, for christ' sake. Storm Front and Aryan Nation and all that. And those are just the fuckers who aren't ashamed to admit it. How many more people discriminate in little ways every day? And what about racial profiling by police?

^Could you try being non partisan for a little bit. Just give it a try. Bitch about someone on the right that you disagree with. Or maybe you should spend a post or two not bitching at all. Try saying something constructive.

Last edited:

That swings both ways.

My wife went off.

Like a sign "Black Vote Here" with an arrow pointing to a garbage can.

You're talking about Blue States, and the sign says "military votes go here".

Remember, if you vote (D) vote early and vote often.

^^^"Mind you this was a Black man telling his people they and they alone are responsible."

False. Watch the end of the video. Also, I disagree with your point in general. That racism is dead. There are still active white supremacist groups, for christ' sake. Storm Front and Aryan Nation and all that. And those are just the fuckers who aren't ashamed to admit it. How many more people discriminate in little ways every day? And what about racial profiling by police?

^Could you try being non partisan for a little bit. Just give it a try. Bitch about someone on the right that you disagree with. Or maybe you should spend a post or two not bitching at all. Try saying something constructive.

I wonder if any of those groups made it to the White House guest-list.

You seem to confuse human nature with an deliberate act of institutional racism.

Racism, bigotry and all the other trigger words are nothing more than human nature it will never go away it will never change.

Racial profiling by Police LMAO!! WTF? you do know there are about the same number of white cops as black right.. are you calling the black officers racists?

We are what we are despite the lefts attempts to demonize everyone they disagree with.

Its a dead overused wedge issue that the left used as a tool nobody buys into it any longer.

Attitude and action control my beliefs. Not all blacks are lazy and not all lazy people are black. When I am out on the street in Houston the attitude of some of the population is such that I can't help buy form an opinion on this person. My father told me once that all lady's are women but not all women are lady's. I have to give them the benefit of the doubt until they prove otherwise. I think this same thinking applies to the black/white issue.

Obama has set race relations back 50 years.

Who are you referring to here?

I've been lucky in life. I was born in the inner city around almost only blacks, moved out to the sticks with pretty much all country whites, now live in suburbia around all types. I work in a large corporate office with christians, gays, muslims, jews etc.

Having been around all these groups it's very obvious to me that all forms of bigotry are purely based on ignorance.

The inner city blacks were more likely to be bigotted towards whites than suburban blacks, why? No interaction with them.

The country whites were more likely to be bigotted towards blacks than the inner city and suburbia whites, why? No interaction.

Same with the people of different religions, different lifestyles, the human race is overall good. A religious view, a skin color, gender, a lifestyle choice doesn't automatically make someone bad. In my experience they don't even increase someone's chances of being a bad person on a marginal scale.

The problem is we're only left to our imaginations in things we don't know about. Also being as busy as we are we tend to be quickly grabbed by quick sensationalized headlines or short crazy stories. Saying "most people of all backgrounds are good people" is boring, saying ******, whitey, evil muzzies, dirty jew, lezzy, fag etc etc is a lot more likely to grab at emotions thus getting attention.

Forum List

Back