warning : discussion of race in America, likely to be unpleasant

Well, I disagree. Generalizing about race is simply describing things as they are. Or sometimes describing them as they are not, which is bad. What's wrong is when people apply those generalizations to individuals unconsciously. We all do it to one degree or another. And we're not going to get any better if we don't talk about it.

For many, not being racist means being color blind. It means pretending that race is not an issue in our society. If you have a thought that's based on a generalization, you're supposed to push it down, blot it out, and not talk about it. That kind of attitude isn't helping, because it gets in the way of addressing systemic racism.

Last edited:
There's including. And then there's dominating. Most threads around here are dominated by partisans screaming about how the other side is ruining everything. Pretending to care about things that they don't care about just to make cheap points. I'm trying to avoid that.

You're back to calling Obama racist now. But you said he was right a little while ago. Makes me think you're still just out to score cheap points.

He was right, in that most white people would try to avoid a ghetto looking black person. He was wrong in saying it, with the phrase, "typical white person". If I said a "typical black person" doesn't pay rent on time, is late to work, beats their kids, does drugs, plays the lottery, and spends more on their car's rims than their kids education, well, I'd be partly right, but wrong for saying it.

But we all have to stop making those generalizations. Its just hard when social leaders wont take the lead in doing so.

See, now we're getting into the territory that Chanel was talking about. .That there are certain words or phrases that are not supposed to be said. That there are things that everyone thinks but no one is allowed to say. That sort of situation doesn't help. Things work themselves out better when they're out in the open.

As long as everyone agrees that blacks can't be prejudice everybody's happy.

We can still have our BET programming and our NAACP telling everyone that the Tea Party is racist.

Criticizing our President in any shape or form is automatically deemed racist. It has to be. Who cares that the worst President in our history is now pulling up a close second to our first black President.

We don't know what word or phrase to call them. We can't use black or even talk about it without some black thinking we're prejudice. We can't go out of our way to be nice to them without blacks making fun of the stupid white people.

I mean, it really doesn't matter what you say or do. If you're white, you're wrong.

"The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity, but that she is a typical white person. If she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know - there's a reaction in her that's been bred into our experiences that don't go away and sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society. We have to break through it. What makes me optimistic is you see each generation feeling less like that. And that's pretty powerful stuff"

I agree with everything he said there. I'm glad that the President is talking about this kind of thing. I think he's spot on, in that that is how typical White people act, and I think it's counterproductive to bitch about how someone said something if you agree with his underlying point.

Ok, fair enough. Can we start talking about how typical black people act then? Is that something we need to do?

Well, I disagree. Generalizing about race is simply describing things as they are. Or sometimes describing them as they are not, which is bad. What's wrong is when people apply those generalizations to individuals unconsciously. We all do it to one degree or another. And we're not going to get any better if we don't talk about it.

For many, not being racist means being color blind. It means pretending that race is not an issue in our society. If you have a thought that's based on a generalization, you're supposed to push it down, blot it out, and not talk about it. That kind of attitude isn't helping, because it gets in the way of addressing systemic racism.

Ok, heres a thought, why to typical black people have such difficulty controlling their tempers? It's quite rude and annoying.

"The point I was making was not that my grandmother harbors any racial animosity, but that she is a typical white person. If she sees somebody on the street that she doesn't know - there's a reaction in her that's been bred into our experiences that don't go away and sometimes come out in the wrong way and that's just the nature of race in our society. We have to break through it. What makes me optimistic is you see each generation feeling less like that. And that's pretty powerful stuff"

I agree with everything he said there. I'm glad that the President is talking about this kind of thing. I think he's spot on, in that that is how typical White people act, and I think it's counterproductive to bitch about how someone said something if you agree with his underlying point.

Your typical white person doesn't know to act that way automatically. They learn to be that way because of bad life experiences or constant stereotypes, and negative reinforcement in movies, TV, you name it.

The bad apples tend to stick out more then the others. Some blacks on this site talk about racism constantly. To be honest, nobody wants to hear it. Some blacks even have said they all should move back to Africa. Having been there I can assume they'll discover that was a serious mistake.

Sorry if I sound so negative but I'm tired of telling it like it is and being called a racist, even though half my family is ether Native-American or African-American.

Your typical white person doesn't know to act that way automatically. They learn to be that way because of bad life experiences or constant stereotypes, and negative reinforcement in movies, TV, you name it.

The bad apples tend to stick out more then the others. Some blacks on this site talk about racism constantly. To be honest, nobody wants to hear it. Some blacks even have said they all should move back to Africa. Having been there I can assume they'll discover that was a serious mistake.

Sorry if I sound so negative but I'm tired of telling it like it is and being called a racist, even though half my family is ether Native-American or African-American.

I thank God for the opportunity I had earlier in life with sports, in college, playing football. I met so many people, white and black, and saw how people can see everything EXCEPT race in a common goal.

But if not for that...the image I'd have of blacks would come from TV, rap music, the news and sports: Violent, rude, late to work, proud of not assimilating with the business world, vulgar, drunk and/or high. They portray themselves that way, then get mad when the world sees them that way. The black on black crime rate is pure insanity. If they treat each other that way, how would they treat a white stranger?

Since we're now being honest and all.

Well I'll disagree right back.
Generalising about a race is applying a blanket assessment/judgement/understanding upon the whole population within that race.
It's bound to be wrong.
You, yourself, then pointed out that judging individuals based on a generalisation of their race is bad, which seems to contradict your first point.
In any case, I do agree that you can't pretend that race isn't an issue and shouldn't be discussed.

I don't consider myself racist, but I do consider myself judgemental. Or prejudiced I guess could fit in some ways. Depends on the situation.
I was semi in love with a black man years ago. But, he was married and so was I. He didn't cheat, and neither did I. So, that kind of left us both in a bad place. He moved to detroit and his wife passed away. I was divorced but here in California. Many years had passed by then. He moved on with his life, as I did mine. So no. I am not racist.
Seeing vids of black women act like lowlifes in a McD's? Or how they talk? "I called the POH leese" or "I axed my fren" or "Ma went off in da amboo lance" or "come to my betroom" and "ho" and "nigguh" and other terms (enbonics) make me shudder. Am I judgemental? Yes. Is it racist? I don't honestly know.

I think racism is rampant and it is on both sides. Black this, black that...but the same is not allowed for white this or white that. I'm tired of being blamed for something I didn't do. Slavery was before my time. I have never been bigoted in how I treat anyone, regardless of their skin color but I have been treated poorly by blacks if I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Honky, cracker, whitey. Do I hold that against ALL blacks? No. I want equality for all.
So what am I?

Have you ever run across a black person who hated dating his/her own color? I have. I dated this black girl for a short period of time many years ago. The subject of race would come up once in a while. I learned that she dated white guys in the past and prefered them.

I asked why and she said that "Black men are all animals". (Her words, not mine) She obviously had bad experiences in the past. I suddenly felt kind of weird in that I felt that she was not really going out with me, but going out with my race. It didn't last long as I really felt left out of the relationship.

He was right, in that most white people would try to avoid a ghetto looking black person. He was wrong in saying it, with the phrase, "typical white person". If I said a "typical black person" doesn't pay rent on time, is late to work, beats their kids, does drugs, plays the lottery, and spends more on their car's rims than their kids education, well, I'd be partly right, but wrong for saying it.

But we all have to stop making those generalizations. Its just hard when social leaders wont take the lead in doing so.

See, now we're getting into the territory that Chanel was talking about. .That there are certain words or phrases that are not supposed to be said. That there are things that everyone thinks but no one is allowed to say. That sort of situation doesn't help. Things work themselves out better when they're out in the open.

We can still have our BET programming and our NAACP telling everyone that the Tea Party is racist.

Criticizing our President in any shape or form is automatically deemed racist. It has to be. Who cares that the worst President in our history is now pulling up a close second to our first black President.

We don't know what word or phrase to call them. We can't use black or even talk about it without some black thinking we're prejudice. We can't go out of our way to be nice to them without blacks making fun of the stupid white people.

I mean, it really doesn't matter what you say or do. If you're white, you're wrong.

Cry me a river.

I don't consider myself racist, but I do consider myself judgemental. Or prejudiced I guess could fit in some ways. Depends on the situation.
I was semi in love with a black man years ago. But, he was married and so was I. He didn't cheat, and neither did I. So, that kind of left us both in a bad place. He moved to detroit and his wife passed away. I was divorced but here in California. Many years had passed by then. He moved on with his life, as I did mine. So no. I am not racist.
Seeing vids of black women act like lowlifes in a McD's? Or how they talk? "I called the POH leese" or "I axed my fren" or "Ma went off in da amboo lance" or "come to my betroom" and "ho" and "nigguh" and other terms (enbonics) make me shudder. Am I judgemental? Yes. Is it racist? I don't honestly know.

I think racism is rampant and it is on both sides. Black this, black that...but the same is not allowed for white this or white that. I'm tired of being blamed for something I didn't do. Slavery was before my time. I have never been bigoted in how I treat anyone, regardless of their skin color but I have been treated poorly by blacks if I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Honky, cracker, whitey. Do I hold that against ALL blacks? No. I want equality for all.
So what am I?

Have you ever run across a black person who hated dating his/her own color? I have. I dated this black girl for a short period of time many years ago. The subject of race would come up once in a while. I learned that she dated white guys in the past and prefered them.

I asked why and she said that "Black men are all animals". (Her words, not mine) She obviously had bad experiences in the past. I suddenly felt kind of weird in that I felt that she was not really going out with me, but going out with my race. It didn't last long as I really felt left out of the relationship.

I had a similar experience. A coworker, black female, great woman. Anyway, she was asking if I had any "single white boys" she could meet. She laughed at that description, and I asked if she wanted to meet only white guys? And she said "Yeah, black men ain't shit, they are so worried about street cred that they'll be 50 years old still acting 18". Sadly, I didnt have any single friends to set her up with though.

So what am I?

Everyone has the right to their preferences. I know several black women like that. They just told me that for some reason they aren't attracted to black guys. Black guys are always trying to talk them into going out with them saying it's their duty. They just tell em to eat shit in so many words.

Cry me a river.

The truth hurts, doesn't it.

Fucken tool.

Last edited:

Generalising about a race is applying a blanket assessment/judgement/understanding upon the whole population within that race.
It's bound to be wrong.
You, yourself, then pointed out that judging individuals based on a generalisation of their race is bad, which seems to contradict your first point.
In any case, I do agree that you can't pretend that race isn't an issue and shouldn't be discussed.

How about this as an example? 90% of Black voters vote for Democrats. That's a generalization. It's also true. So if I meet a Black person, does that mean that I assume they voted Democratic? No.

It's just about impossible to resolve our race relations if we don't talk about race. Is there any other way to talk about race than by making generalizations? The important thing is to form the right generalizations, based on real information and interaction, and to always keep in mind that any particular person may or may not match.

Last edited:
If you tell it like it is some cocksucker always gets up in your face. Dipshit showed us a prime example.

That's why nobody talks about the subject.

It's quite simple.

Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Muslims are all encouraged to talk about race, and how they are oppressed.

Whites shut the f**k up or else.

Easy enough I suppose.

It's bound to be wrong.

How about this as an example? 90% of Black voters vote for Democrats. That's a generalization. It's also true. So if I meet a Black person, does that mean that I assume they voted Democratic? No.

It's just about impossible to resolve our race relations if we don't talk about race. Is there any other way to talk about race than by making generalizations? The important thing is to form the right generalizations, based on real information and interaction, and to always keep in mind that any particular person may or may not match.

So when you meet a black person you'll immediately label them a Democrat voter based on your generalisation of blacks?

Quoting myself here.

"So if I meet a Black person, does that mean that I assume they voted Democratic? No."

Come on man, make the effort.

If you tell it like it is some cocksucker always gets up in your face. Dipshit showed us a prime example.

That's why nobody talks about the subject.

It's quite simple.

Blacks, Asians, Hispanics, Muslims are all encouraged to talk about race, and how they are oppressed.

Whites shut the f**k up or else.

Easy enough I suppose.

The primary reason our government encourages them is because of votes and cash.

Piss minorities off, paint the GOP as racist whites, and you've got a loyal voting block.

Forget the fact that many of the Dems are racist whites. I mean, the KKK was Democrats.

Last edited:
It's easy to see why Black women would prefer to date out of the race. 50% of young Black men are or have been involved in the prison system in some way. Only some of that is caused by police prejudice. Some of it has to do with the fact that Black men are the most violent and lawless demographic we've got.

But maybe your coworker would have done better by asking if you had any mature friends she could go out with. By writing off all Black men, she's narrowing her world.

It's easy to see why Black women would prefer to date out of the race. 50% of young Black men are or have been involved in the prison system in some way. Only some of that is caused by police prejudice. Some of it has to do with the fact that Black men are the most violent and lawless demographic we've got.

But maybe your coworker would have done better by asking if you had any mature friends she could go out with. By writing off all Black men, she's narrowing her world.

I think she wanted a man with A) A job B) No rap sheet C) No kids out of wedlock D) No weapons or drug habits E) The ability to keep his penis contained to one woman.

I think she had no choice but to write them off.

Forum List

Back