warning : discussion of race in America, likely to be unpleasant

I think we know the answer to that question.

If Government force were removed....life would go on like usual

- People realized it was no big deal for their children to attend schools with blacks
- The military worked just fine once it was integrated
- The world did not end when blacks and whites were allowed to marry

Or people will start showing their racist colors because using force doesn't fix the problem, but only makes it go underground.

I'd rather someone was openly racist than pretending to be nice because the government told them to be. It's only with the truth that we can fix the real problems which are problems of the heart, not the problems of law.

- People realized it was no big deal for their children to attend schools with blacks

Or people will start showing their racist colors because using force doesn't fix the problem, but only makes it go underground.

I'd rather someone was openly racist than pretending to be nice because the government told them to be. It's only with the truth that we can fix the real problems which are problems of the heart, not the problems of law.

Are you actually implying we would return to the racist America of the 50s if Government regulations were removed?

Are you actually implying we would return to the racist America of the 50s if Government regulations were removed?

No. I'm saying racism is still a problem with people. You just drove it underground. It doesn't fix the problem.

The fact that numerous segregation laws were repealed would prevent it from going back to the 50s.

Actualy, most of the progress in the racial tolerance of this country came about because of government mandates. People did not integrate on their own free will
Let's suppose for the moment that your last statement is entirely accurate, RW. What do you think that implies for the future?If it's done by government force, what happens, when that force is no longer applied (or possibly no longer can be applied)? What happens then; something like the former Yugoslavia? If you have to force people together, do you not raise the question of what happens if they don't like it, but only do it because they are made to? Is America to be kept together only by force of arms? Is it then worth that?

I wonder if this nation will exist, a generation from now, in anything like its present form. Won't make much difference to either of us, of course; we won't be here to see it.

You and I, RW, and a great many other Americans, may feel that way, but the fact remains, too many (of BOTH races) do not. You can legislate overt behavior (to some extent); you cannot legislate the way people think, and that's the problem. The remaining problem is to win over these people, one heart, one mind at a time. Otherwise, race will remain a potentially dangerous wild card in whatever other political/societal divisions may erupt into conflict. It's unlikely to be a primary cause of conflict, in itself; but it could well be an aggravating factor which could make a bad situation much worse. I don't really want to find out, because if we do, it will likely be the hard way.

When a race portrays itself with an image, others will view the whole as that way. The rap culture is destroying the image of the black race. It glorifies guns, crime, violence, degrading women. The people involved in the rap culture, and the millions of kids who mimic it, try to put forth an image of a short temper, willingness to commit crime, carry weapons and drugs, etc, etc, whether it's all an act or not, they portray it.

Until the black race comes out in whole against that culture, it's gonna keep hurting them. YouTube videos of them acting like absolute scum in public dont help.

Utter nonsense.

Your post makes a lot of ASSumptions.

1. That blacks were perceived greatly by whites (and/or others) pre-rap. So until rap music/culture came around, whites saw all blacks as totally awesome, things were peachy clean until rap/culture came and spoiled it all.

2. That a musical genre, essentially a form of entertainment is what SHOULD be used to judge an entire people. So we should judge ALL Italians by mobster movies essentially.

Hogwash.

With that said, rap isn't helping, but it sure isn't the Genesis of the problem...it's simply adding to the problem.

Try again.

Let me explain that whole "I have Black friends" thing. It's not that people consider the phrase itself racist. But it's an indicator. The conversation happens a lot. Someone will say something racist, get called on it, and then say "but I have Black friends." It a very recognizable pattern, and it makes people groan. Especially since if you press the person, it usually turns out that they're pretty racist, regardless of who their friends are. Very racist people often have good friends that they don't apply their racist beliefs to. Once someone becomes an individual, that trumps people's preconceived notions of them.

It's kind of like when someone says "I don't want to offend you, but," you know they're about to offend you. It's not that they said "I don't want to offend you" that makes them offensive. It's what they say next.

Republicans do tend more towards racism than Democrats. It's a demographics thing, I think. Republicans are older and live in the South. That sort of thing perpetuates itself. Republicans play to their base, which isn't Black. So Blacks vote for Democrats. And the whole thing just keeps going. Not necessarily overt racism, but the parties looking out for different people's interests. Urban vs. rural is often Black vs. White, for instance.

And Democrats by virtue of their policies, (affirmative action), are actually telling blacks that they are not equal so they need the help of the govt to get jobs. Lowering test scores (as was done in Ohio with the police candidates), seem to show blacks that they are not as smart as whites and therefore need help with the grading system. An "F" is now a passing grade. This does several things; It creates a negative feeling with the black officers as they know the fellow officers and the public feel that they may not be as smart or as good as white officers and the trust in them is reduced.

This does nothing but hinder race relations and to simply blame Repubs only is to be ignorant to the policies of the Dems. This is not a partisan political issue, it is a cultural issue and the more we allow govt to set guidelines, the greater the racial divide.

Could it just simply be that blacks are not on par with other races?

while it is true that the races have different potentials, black are being hamstrung by lowered standards that thwart the inculcation of 'hard work and effort pays off'.

I have no problem giving blacks extra rewards for personal accomplishment but I think it is counter productive to reward skin colour for mediocre results.

Racism in America. Everyone says it's there. But not very many people will fess up to it. There was that couple in Alabama that picked me up hitch hiking. They were not ashamed of being racist. I asked them why they were racist. They said hey, Black people are just stupid and lazy. What about Miles Davis? They gave me Miles Davis.

But that's not most racism in America. Most people who consider themselves racists don't talk about it publicly, because they know it's not acceptable, except I guess in Alabama. I think that most racists today don't even consider themselves racist. And yet racism continues.

There is something in America that persistently disadvantages Black people. It happens all the time and everywhere, in thousands of ways, big and small. I would be interested to hear someone who is perceived as Black speak to this.

Color blindness seems to be popular nowadays. Just don't talk about race. I don't see very many Black people taking this view. It seems to be a comfortable thing for the privileged to think. And I don't agree. To be color blind is to deny that people who are perceived differently have had different experiences. It's a different country if you're Black. A much worse place to live.

I think that those who benefit from racism, and do nothing to dismantle it, are participating. They may not consider themselves racist. They may not even look at Black people differently from White people. But they are complacent. It's like buying a used bicycle for 20 bucks when it's worth 2000. You may not have stolen it. But if you're honest with yourself, you know that someone else did, and you're participating in the crime.

I did read your Post, and without specifics, it seems that you are baiting. Have you ever tried to look past Race? Deal with Each Individual you encounter without baggage or preconceived notion or expectation? It's not for you or I to meter or measure, what is not Ours. You seem to be placing false values on other people's property, manipulating worth, to your own end. That in itself id a form of theft. I'm not making excuses, and I'm not asking you to. Within your means, effect change by example, that is a good as place to start as any without pointing fingers.

Yes.

However, admitting this is something most whites are loathe to do. It essentially means that "Hitler was right." And "the American dream is kind of a lie." And "all men are NOT created equal." And so on.

Nobody wants to believe this.

Forum List

Back