Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Research Articles

Warming of the World Ocean
Sydney Levitus, * John I. Antonov, Timothy P. Boyer, Cathy Stephens

Warming of the World Ocean -- Levitus et al. 287 (5461): 2225 -- Science

We quantify the interannual-to-decadal variability of the heat content (mean temperature) of the world ocean from the surface through 3000-meter depth for the period 1948 to 1998. The heat content of the world ocean increased by ~2 × 1023 joules between the mid-1950s and mid-1990s, representing a volume mean warming of 0.06°C. This corresponds to a warming rate of 0.3 watt per meter squared (per unit area of Earth's surface). Substantial changes in heat content occurred in the 300- to 1000-meter layers of each ocean and in depths greater than 1000 meters of the North Atlantic. The global volume mean temperature increase for the 0- to 300-meter layer was 0.31°C, corresponding to an increase in heat content for this layer of ~1023 joules between the mid-1950s and mid-1990s. The Atlantic and Pacific Oceans have undergone a net warming since the 1950s and the Indian Ocean has warmed since the mid-1960s, although the warming is not monotonic.

National Oceanographic Data Center/National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NODC/NOAA), E/OC5, 1315 East West Highway, Silver Spring, MD, 20910, USA.

It's more like:

Research Articles

We believe we have successfully hidden the decline in the ocean's temperature the Argo Buoys showed in a six year test using well over 3000 of these buoys. We won't release any raw data though for others to study, even with Freedom of Information Act requests pending.

We're pretty sure our faithful minions of religious zealots out there will cut and paste this report all over the internet, satisfying their desire to follow our religious teachings no matter the cost to their self esteem.

Thank you.

Last edited:
It's more like:

Research Articles

We believe we have successfully hidden the decline in the ocean's temperature the Argo Buoys showed in a six year test using well over 3000 of these buoys. We won't release any raw data though for others to study, even with Freedom of Information Act requests pending.

We're pretty sure our faithful minions of religious zealots out there will cut and paste this report all over the internet, satisfying their desire to follow our religious teachings no matter the cost to their self esteem.

Thank you.

OC will be very disappointed you are not bowing down to St. Albert.

It's more like:

Research Articles

Thank you.

OC will be very disappointed you are not bowing down to St. Albert.
NPR, in the story I linked, did their best not to ruffle any Goreian feathers with their spin of this disaster.

Of course, answers like these simply indicate the intellectual poverty of those in denial of reality.
That's you.

The REALITY is, the Argo's measured and proved ocean COOLING, not warming. AND NOAA and NASA are stalling on FOIA requests for raw data. Have been stonewalling it for years.

That's part of science? You're okay with it?

Research Articles

We quantify the interannual-to-decadal variability of the heat content (mean temperature) of the world ocean from the surface through 3000-meter depth for the period 1948 to 1998. The heat content of the world ocean increased by ~2 × 1023 joules between the mid-1950s and mid-1990s, representing a volume mean warming of 0.06°C. This corresponds to a warming rate of 0.3 watt per meter squared (per unit area of Earth's surface). Substantial changes in heat content occurred in the 300- to 1000-meter layers of each ocean and in depths greater than 1000 meters of the North Atlantic. The global volume mean temperature increase for the 0- to 300-meter layer was 0.31°C, corresponding to an increase in heat content for this layer of ~1023 joules between the mid-1950s and mid-1990s. The Atlantic and Pacific Oceans have undergone a net warming since the 1950s and the Indian Ocean has warmed since the mid-1960s, although the warming is not monotonic.

National Oceanographic Data Center/National Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (NODC/NOAA), E/OC5, 1315 East West Highway, Silver Spring, MD, 20910, USA.

No go, ol' Midnight.

I gave you a peer reviewed current article concerning the warming of the oceans.

You gave me a crock of shit with no backing links or articles.

Of course, answers like these simply indicate the intellectual poverty of those in denial of reality.

One reality of this article is that it was written in the year 2000. Another reality is that the array of Argo Buoys was not deployed until 2003.

Data available to these folks was spotty at best compared to today's capabilities. Thier conclusions are, for all intents and purposes, wothless by today's standards.

Research Articles

No go, ol' Midnight.

I gave you a peer reviewed current article concerning the warming of the oceans.

Weren't Jones' and Mann's articles peer reviewed?

No go, ol' Midnight.

There was an article, and a link. You're too stupid to notice.

And we all know now what "peer reviewed" really means.

Again, you dodge. You're okay with NOAA and NASA stonewalling FOIA requests for raw data? For years?

No go, ol' Midnight.

There was an article, and a link. You're too stupid to notice.

And we all know now what "peer reviewed" really means.

Again, you dodge. You're okay with NOAA and NASA stonewalling FOIA requests for raw data? For years?

of course he's ok with it. they bow down to St. Albert.

I guess OldCrocks thinks that article is "current" because he just found it today, and faithfully regurgitated it without even looking!

This thread's gonna be a CLASSIC! :rofl:

Warming ocean melts Greenland glaciers

AP) -- With whale fins splashing in the distance, Ruth Curry hauls up her catch from the blustery deck of an icebreaker.

An orange tube fixed to a metal frame breaks the surface as the motorized winch stops groaning. Inside: data on the water temperature deep down in this glacial fjord off southeast Greenland.

"If you were to dip your hand in it, it doesn't seem that warm," says Curry, an American climate scientist. "But it is. It's warm enough to melt ice. And that's the important thing here."

Curry and her colleagues from the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution in Massachusetts zigzagged between majestic icebergs in the Sermilik fjord last month in search of proof that waters from warmer latitudes, or subtropical waters, are flushing through this remote and frigid region.

They found it - all the way up to the base of the outlet glaciers that spill into the ocean like tongues of ice from Greenland's massive ice sheet.

Skeptical Science explains how we know global warming is happening: It’s the oceans, stupid! « Climate Progress

The empirical data has spoken. Cancel the global cooling party. Global warming is still happening.

The planet is heating up, thanks to human-generated emissions of greenhouse gases. But as a new NOAA-led study, “An observationally based energy balance for the Earth since 1950” (subs. req’d, release here) concluded:

ince 1950, the planet released about 20 percent of the warming influence of heat-trapping greenhouse gases to outer space as infrared energy. Volcanic emissions lingering in the stratosphere offset about 20 percent of the heating by bouncing solar radiation back to space before it reached the surface. Cooling from the lower-atmosphere aerosols produced by humans balanced 50 percent of the heating. Only the remaining 10 percent of greenhouse-gas warming actually went into heating the Earth, and almost all of it went into the ocean.

Note that this Journal of Geophysical Research-Atmospheres study was done “without using global climate models.”

That's you.

The REALITY is, the Argo's measured and proved ocean COOLING, not warming. AND NOAA and NASA are stalling on FOIA requests for raw data. Have been stonewalling it for years.

Where the link?

That's you.

Where the link?

Are you trying to learn ebonics now?

Forum List

Back