Warmest May on record

Has anybody even bothered to read the little story? I did and here it is in its entirety. Notice anything unusual? I'll highlight it for the thinking impaired......

May the heat be with you _ another record month
(AP) – 1 day ago

WASHINGTON — And the heat goes on: It was the warmest May on record.

Worldwide, the average temperature for the month was 58.6 degrees Fahrenheit (14.8 Celsius), the warmest May on record, back to 1880.

That was 1.24 degrees F (0.69 C) warmer than average for the month as the planet's temperature continues to climb. Atmospheric scientists generally attribute the rising readings to the greenhouse effect, with man-made chemicals added to the atmosphere trapping heat from the sun that previously would have gone back out into space.

This year has also marked the warmest January-May period on record, according to the report from the National Climatic Data Center, an arm of the government's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Looking at just the United States, May temperatures were near average with cooler-than-normal temperatures in the West balanced by warmer-than-normal readings East.

Idaho had its second coolest May on record, for example, while Rhode Island had its second warmest and Florida tied for its second warmest.

That means that IT WAS WARMER WAY BACK IN 1880 before all the supposed CO2 was introduced to the atmosphere......put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Has anybody even bothered to read the little story? I did and here it is in its entirety. Notice anything unusual? I'll highlight it for the thinking impaired......

(AP) – 1 day ago

Worldwide, the average temperature for the month was 58.6 degrees Fahrenheit (14.8 Celsius), the warmest May on record, back to 1880.

That was 1.24 degrees F (0.69 C) warmer than average for the month as the planet's temperature continues to climb. Atmospheric scientists generally attribute the rising readings to the greenhouse effect, with man-made chemicals added to the atmosphere trapping heat from the sun that previously would have gone back out into space.

This year has also marked the warmest January-May period on record, according to the report from the National Climatic Data Center, an arm of the government's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

Looking at just the United States, May temperatures were near average with cooler-than-normal temperatures in the West balanced by warmer-than-normal readings East.

Idaho had its second coolest May on record, for example, while Rhode Island had its second warmest and Florida tied for its second warmest.

That means that IT WAS WARMER WAY BACK IN 1880 before all the supposed CO2 was introduced to the atmosphere......put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Not even close to as warm today and in fact the 19th century was coming out of the little ice age with solar minimums like the dalton ending only about 30 years earlier. No way was it warmer then today in 1880.

1880 is all there record goes back. Not to impressive, but that sure don't say that 1880 was warmer then 2010.

I believe we have been warming out of this little ice age and that accounts for most of the warming.

(AP) – 1 day ago

Not even close to as warm today and in fact the 19th century was coming out of the little ice age with solar minimums like the dalton ending only about 30 years earlier. No way was it warmer then today in 1880.

1880 is all there record goes back. Not to impressive, but that sure don't say that 1880 was warmer then 2010.

I believe we have been warming out of this little ice age and that accounts for most of the warming.

This is completely untrue Mathew. There are excellent temperature records for the entire northeast going back to 1760 or there abouts. Yale has a superb record going back to its inception in point of fact so no the records don't stop at 1880. During the year without a summer (attributed to the volcanic eruption of Tambora in 1815 or 1816 (I can't remember the exact date) there are temp records from Maine to Virginia that show the effect of the volcanic ash. They are extensive and very accurate.

Additionally there were two little Ice Ages that hit from 1150-1460 and a second cooling period from 1560-1850. By 1880 most of the effects of that were long over....of course there are some who believe we are still emerging from the last LIA which is why the temps were rising till 1998. They now believe we are headed back down to a colder cycle.

(AP) – 1 day ago

This is completely untrue Mathew. There are excellent temperature records for the entire northeast going back to 1760 or there abouts. Yale has a superb record going back to its inception in point of fact so no the records don't stop at 1880. During the year without a summer (attributed to the volcanic eruption of Tambora in 1815 or 1816 (I can't remember the exact date) there are temp records from Maine to Virginia that show the effect of the volcanic ash. They are extensive and very accurate.

Additionally there were two little Ice Ages that hit from 1150-1460 and a second cooling period from 1560-1850. By 1880 most of the effects of that were long over....of course there are some who believe we are still emerging from the last LIA which is why the temps were rising till 1998. They now believe we are headed back down to a colder cycle.

Possibly for Europe and the United states
, but the majority of the world it was true. Also that is as far back as they wish to push it with the data being as crappy that it was. You also have to consider that if area's outside of europe or the United states had thermometers at all that their accuracy or standards where crappy and there is no way you can trust it.. Outside of Europe and the US I wouldn't trust it anyways,,,Hell, I would trust the tree rings more in Africa and the middle east even 60-70 years ago.

How the hell do you get a accurate global measurement based on that? How can these people even claim any accuracy going back even 50 years globally? I believe we only have a global data set good enough for .25c +- measurement of the globe back only about 35 or 40 years. In fact what tells us of these cycles is ice cores, which tells us about the warm and cold periods. Some scientist like MANN and Hansen believe some how this is the warmest period in 600,000 years and some believe that the med evil and even the roman where warmer then today with the period between 4.5-7 thousand years ago. Not to go into the other periods. I happen to believe that this is not even close to the warmest period within this interglacial.

As for the little ice age, I believe Spore, Wolf, Maunder and finally the Dalton all where part of one period. Sure there was a little warm period between the Spore and the wolf as you say, but we quickly dived back into the little ice age. Most warm periods within the interglacial period has lasted between 200-500 years. Med evil 900-1150, roman 200 bc(or so) and 300 Ad with a cold period. This is a cycle, but I doubt we go into another little ice age within my life time.

Last edited:

Possibly for Europe and the United states
, but the majority of the world it was true. Also that is as far back as they wish to push it with the data being as crappy that it was. You also have to consider that if area's outside of europe or the United states had thermometers at all that their accuracy or standards where crappy and there is no way you can trust it.. Outside of Europe and the US I wouldn't trust it anyways,,,Hell, I would trust the tree rings more in Africa and the middle east even 60-70 years ago.

How the hell do you get a accurate global measurement based on that? How can these people even claim any accuracy going back even 50 years globally? I believe we only have a global data set good enough for .25c +- measurement of the globe back only about 35 or 40 years. In fact what tells us of these cycles is ice cores, which tells us about the warm and cold periods. Some scientist like MANN and Hansen believe some how this is the warmest period in 600,000 years and some believe that the med evil and even the roman where warmer then today with the period between 4.5-7 thousand years ago. Not to go into the other periods. I happen to believe that this is not even close to the warmest period within this interglacial.

As for the little ice age, I believe Spore, Wolf, Maunder and finally the Dalton all where part of one period. Sure there was a little warm period between the Spore and the wolf as you say, but we quickly dived back into the little ice age. Most warm periods within the interglacial period has lasted between 200-500 years. Med evil 900-1150, roman 200 bc(or so) and 300 Ad with a cold period. This is a cycle, but I doubt we go into another little ice age within my life time.

First point is no there were excellent instruments in Batavia by 1840, Australia had them by 1820, Goa 1820, South Africa 1840, etc. Only Japan and China were not represented.

The warmers are using proxy data for everything and claiming that proxy data is unusable for the MWP etc. However when it is finally surveyed in any particular region the MWP and the RWP are well represented everywhere they have been searched for. So the old standard warmer attack that the MWP was localised to Europe has been proven false.
Therefore it is not beyond the realms of reason to infer that what the global temperature was based on the data we do have....after all Mann was able to generate his infamous hockey stick graph from a SINGLE tree!:lol::lol:

1880 is not the furthest back we have information on. We know the planet was much warmer millions of years ago as well as before the last ice age. The entire premise that our records only go back to 1880 is false. Sure thats when tempatures were first being recorded, but there is geological information about Earth that goes back millions of years. These fearmongering, pro-AGW articles always omit that information in order to build a narrative that the earth is getting warmer ever since the industrial revolution. And the shitbag liberals buy it hook, line, and sinker.

We broke a record the other day, but it was for being cold. :lol:
It has rained for months here.. They were worried because of the lack of snow this year, but now it has rained for months. Of course now they worried about overgrowth. lol
With the record snow the two years before, and now with all the rain, it is nice and green here. We will be fucked if we get a dry August.

The Associated Press: May the heat be with you _ another record month

(AP) – 16 hours ago WASHINGTON — And the heat goes on: It was the warmest May on record.

so you think 30 days out of a 3 1/2 billion year period is an indication of anything at all except you can be led to false conclusions?

The earth has been cooling for the last 10-12 years

you would make one hell of a scientist- another al gore -
are you also a marriage counsellor?

1880 is not the furthest back we have information on. We know the planet was much warmer millions of years ago as well as before the last ice age. The entire premise that our records only go back to 1880 is false. Sure thats when tempatures were first being recorded, but there is geological information about Earth that goes back millions of years. These fearmongering, pro-AGW articles always omit that information in order to build a narrative that the earth is getting warmer ever since the industrial revolution. And the shitbag liberals buy it hook, line, and sinker.

OK, you fecal eating Conservative, we full well know, through proxy evidence, that the planet has been both warmer and colder in past geological times. Not only that, we know many of the reasons for those warm and cold periods.

In fact, if you have the balls, which I doubt, or the intellect to comprehend what is presented, even more doubtful, to watch a presentation by a real scientist to the American Geophysical Union at the fall, 2009 meeting.

A23A

Now Hawk, we can keep this exchange down in the gutter, as your post is, or we can exchange information. Your post was nothing but yap-yap, containing not a single referance to back your opinion. Post something from real scientists who actually study the subject.

(AP) – 16 hours ago WASHINGTON — And the heat goes on: It was the warmest May on record.

so you think 30 days out of a 3 1/2 billion year period is an indication of anything at all except you can be led to false conclusions?

Damn, another dingleberry posting this nonsense. 2000 to 2009 was the warmest decade on record. 2005 matched or exceeded 1998, depending on whose measurements that you go with. Very little differance in the measurements.

1990 to 1999 was the second warmest on decade on record. 1980 to 1989 was the third warmest decade on record. Notice the trend?

NASA - NASA Research Finds Last Decade was Warmest on Record, 2009 One of Warmest Years

NASA Research Finds Last Decade was Warmest on Record, 2009 One of Warmest Years WASHINGTON -- A new analysis of global surface temperatures by NASA scientists finds the past year was tied for the second warmest since 1880. In the Southern Hemisphere, 2009 was the warmest year on record.

Although 2008 was the coolest year of the decade because of a strong La Nina that cooled the tropical Pacific Ocean, 2009 saw a return to a near-record global temperatures as the La Nina diminished, according to the new analysis by NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York. The past year was a small fraction of a degree cooler than 2005, the warmest on record, putting 2009 in a virtual tie with a cluster of other years --1998, 2002, 2003, 2006, and 2007 -- for the second warmest on record.

"There's always interest in the annual temperature numbers and a given year's ranking, but the ranking often misses the point," said James Hansen, GISS director. "There's substantial year-to-year variability of global temperature caused by the tropical El Nino-La Nina cycle. When we average temperature over five or ten years to minimize that variability, we find global warming is continuing unabated."

Damn, another dingleberry posting this nonsense. 2000 to 2009 was the warmest decade on record. 2005 matched or exceeded 1998, depending on whose measurements that you go with. Very little differance in the measurements.

1990 to 1999 was the second warmest on decade on record. 1980 to 1989 was the third warmest decade on record. Notice the trend?

NASA - NASA Research Finds Last Decade was Warmest on Record, 2009 One of Warmest Years

NASA Research Finds Last Decade was Warmest on Record, 2009 One of Warmest Years WASHINGTON -- A new analysis of global surface temperatures by NASA scientists finds the past year was tied for the second warmest since 1880. In the Southern Hemisphere, 2009 was the warmest year on record.

Although 2008 was the coolest year of the decade because of a strong La Nina that cooled the tropical Pacific Ocean, 2009 saw a return to a near-record global temperatures as the La Nina diminished, according to the new analysis by NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies (GISS) in New York. The past year was a small fraction of a degree cooler than 2005, the warmest on record, putting 2009 in a virtual tie with a cluster of other years --1998, 2002, 2003, 2006, and 2007 -- for the second warmest on record.

"There's always interest in the annual temperature numbers and a given year's ranking, but the ranking often misses the point," said James Hansen, GISS director. "There's substantial year-to-year variability of global temperature caused by the tropical El Nino-La Nina cycle. When we average temperature over five or ten years to minimize that variability, we find global warming is continuing unabated."

What happened to the 800 year lag between warming and CO2 per the Vostok ice cores?

Are we dealing with mutant strain of CO2?

How are you coming along on writing your one sentence hypothesis regarding deminimus increases in CO2?

Not according to Phil Jones (the lead scientist of the AGW movement) he has admitted that there has been no warming since 1998. What gives old faud...who's lying?
Climategate U-turn: Astonishment as scientist at centre of global warming email row admits data not well organised | Mail Online

OK, you fecal eating Conservative, we full well know, through proxy evidence, that the planet has been both warmer and colder in past geological times. Not only that, we know many of the reasons for those warm and cold periods.

In fact, if you have the balls, which I doubt, or the intellect to comprehend what is presented, even more doubtful, to watch a presentation by a real scientist to the American Geophysical Union at the fall, 2009 meeting.

A23A

Now Hawk, we can keep this exchange down in the gutter, as your post is, or we can exchange information. Your post was nothing but yap-yap, containing not a single referance to back your opinion. Post something from real scientists who actually study the subject.

If you already agree that the Earth has already been warmer and colder in the past then what is your gripe about? :cuckoo:

I am so tired of this nonsense from you oldoscks...... You know dam good and well that is as ambiguous a claim as there is.... I already picked that claim apart last time you tried to use it. Please do not force me to pull the old posts back up....

The way they come to that claim is full of holes and misleading data.. I showed this before using your own links, and I will do so again...

Forum List

Back