Warmest May on record

Ravi

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2008
Hating Hatters
The Associated Press: May the heat be with you _ another record month

(AP) – 16 hours ago WASHINGTON — And the heat goes on: It was the warmest May on record.
Worldwide, the average temperature for the month was 58.6 degrees Fahrenheit (14.8 Celsius), the warmest May on record, back to 1880.
That was 1.24 degrees F (0.69 C) warmer than average for the month as the planet's temperature continues to climb. Atmospheric scientists generally attribute the rising readings to the greenhouse effect, with man-made chemicals added to the atmosphere trapping heat from the sun that previously would have gone back out into space.
This year has also marked the warmest January-May period on record, according to the report from the National Climatic Data Center, an arm of the government's National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
Looking at just the United States, May temperatures were near average with cooler-than-normal temperatures in the West balanced by warmer-than-normal readings East.

This is clearly evidence that we are all going to die when the polar icecaps melt in 3 years and turns Earth into Waterworld.

I will be in panic mode from now until it snows in New York one day in late September and someone creates a thread about it to let us know that it proves algore is really trying to take our money and climate-nazify the world.

Last edited:
Is it warmer than when there were no polar ice caps and the Western US was under the Great Inland Sea?

Is it warmer than when there were no polar ice caps and the Western US was under the Great Inland Sea?

No, but what's your point? I don't want to see those times. Humans evolved during a relatively cooler era of earth's history. Why the Age of the Dinosaurs or some other epoch would have anything to do with today, is beyond me, except to serve as a distraction for the deniers when they can't answer the real questions.

No, but what's your point? I don't want to see those times. Humans evolved during a relatively cooler era of earth's history. Why the Age of the Dinosaurs or some other epoch would have anything to do with today, is beyond me, except to serve as a distraction for the deniers when they can't answer the real questions.

Yes, I'm denying that we have anything at all to do with Global Climate changes which have been ongoing before we got here and will continue after we're all gone.

You deny that CO2 traps radiation? Where's the extra gas above historical averages coming from , if not from man, considering that we emit more in a day than all the volcanoes on earth do in a year?

You deny that CO2 traps radiation? Where's the extra gas above historical averages coming from , if not from man, considering that we emit more in a day than all the volcanoes on earth do in a year?

If that's what really happening, why can't you repeat it in a laboratory using real values for the teeny tiny increases in CO2?

Why is it easier to replicate conditions nanosecond after the Big Bang than to add 200PPM of CO2 to a controlled experiment tank?

0.04% of atmospheric composition. Of which we produce 0.06% of it. Yeah, it's a threat.

I found it interesting when recently I learned that professional greenhouses pump up their CO2 content to bout 1400ppm. The plants love it and not a single worker has experienced ill effects. what're we predicted to get up to in our most fevered imagination? 360? 420? Oh noes! We're all gonna .... oh wait.. no we're not.

How's that water vapor problem coming along? About 4% total atmospheric composition with a far higher green house gas effects. Have we been able to stop the damage it's doing to the environment?

Yes, I'm denying that we have anything at all to do with Global Climate changes which have been ongoing before we got here and will continue after we're all gone.

Frank denies that all the Scientific Societies in the world, all the National Academies of science, and all the major Universities of the word know what they are talking about when they state that AGW is a fact, and a clear and present danger.

Yet Frank believes some kooks claim that the moon is hollow:cuckoo:

0.04% of atmospheric composition. Of which we produce 0.06% of it. Yeah, it's a threat.

I found it interesting when recently I learned that professional greenhouses pump up their CO2 content to bout 1400ppm. The plants love it and not a single worker has experienced ill effects. what're we predicted to get up to in our most fevered imagination? 360? 420? Oh noes! We're all gonna .... oh wait.. no we're not.

How's that water vapor problem coming along? About 4% total atmospheric composition with a far higher green house gas effects. Have we been able to stop the damage it's doing to the environment?

Well Fritz, this has been explained to you before. But here we go again. By the way, if you are a schoolteacher, I am damned glad that I never had such an incompetant teacher.

Water vapor is the most powerful greenhouse gas

Water vapor is the most powerful greenhouse gas

"Water vapour is the most important greenhouse gas. If you get a fall evening and the sky is clear, heat will escape, the temperature will drop. If there's cloud cover, the heat is trapped by water vapour and the temperature stays warm. If you go to In Salah in southern Algeria, they recorded at noon 52°C. By midnight, it's -3.6°C. It's caused because there is very little water vapour in the atmosphere and is a demonstration of water vapour as the most important greenhouse gas." (Tim Ball)

What the science says...
Water vapour is the most dominant greenhouse gas. Water vapour is also the dominant positive feedback in our climate system and amplifies any warming caused by changes in atmospheric CO2. This positive feedback is why climate is so sensitive to CO2 warming.
Water vapour is the most dominant greenhouse gas. The greenhouse effect or radiative flux for water is around 75 W/m2 while carbon dioxide contributes 32 W/m2 (Kiehl 1997). These proportions are confirmed by measurements of infrared radiation returning to the Earth's surface (Evans 2006). Water vapour is also the dominant positive feedback in our climate system and a major reason why temperature is so sensitive to changes in CO2.

Unlike external forcings such as CO2 which can be added to the atmosphere, the level of water vapour in the atmosphere is a function of temperature. Water vapour is brought into the atmosphere via evaporation - the rate depends on the temperature of the ocean and air, being governed by the Clausius-Clapeyron relation. If extra water is added to the atmosphere, it condenses and falls as rain or snow within a week or two. Similarly, if somehow moisture was sucked out of the atmosphere, evaporation would restore water vapour levels to 'normal levels' in short time.

Anyone else notice that every month is at first the warmest ever?? yeah starts out that way but when reality and actual numbers are tallied they quietly change the claim and go silent.

If that's what really happening, why can't you repeat it in a laboratory using real values for the teeny tiny increases in CO2?

Why is it easier to replicate conditions nanosecond after the Big Bang than to add 200PPM of CO2 to a controlled experiment tank?

Sorry, but a 25-30% increase ISN'T teeny-tiny. How about actually studying the science, instead of merely turning this into a political question? In a real laboratory it's almost trivial to demonstrate the ability of CO2 to trap infra-red radiation. Since properties in the lab and in the wild would be the same, more CO2 means more trapped radiation. Given the principle of Conservation of Energy, where's the part that isn't re-emitted into space going, except to heat the earth?

Now Suckeee...... post a link to back that lie.

More yap-yap as you deny reality.

Don't have to you and your socks do so every month.... And somehow the data for that month when you show it in the current month doesn't match.... So when you start telling the truth on here and stop lying we can have proper debate....

BTW I folowed the link the OP article said they got their data from... And surprise it leads to the homepage of the NOAA and no data..... More atypical fear mongering bullshit...

Don't have to you and your socks do so every month.... And somehow the data for that month when you show it in the current month doesn't match.... So when you start telling the truth on here and stop lying we can have proper debate....

I have posted links from Dr. Spencer, and from Dr. Hansen, as well as others in climate science, and all you have posted is yap-yap.

Thus far, from all concerned is that 2010 matchs or exceeds 1998 and 2005.

Now your turn, post something from a credible source that denies that? You can do that to back up your ceaseless yap-yap, can't you?

Now this is the fellow that Limpbaugh considers to by his climatologist.

May 2010 UAH Global Temperature Update: +0.53 deg. C. Roy Spencer, Ph. D.

The global-average lower tropospheric temperature remains warm: +0.53 deg. C for May, 2010. The linear trend since 1979 is now +0.14 deg. C per decade.Tropics picked up a bit, but SSTs indicate El Nino has ended and we may be headed to La Nina. NOAA issued a La Nina Watch yesterday.

In the race for the hottest calendar year, 1998 still leads with the daily average for 1 Jan to 31 May being +0.65 C in 1998 compared with +0.59 C for 2010. (Note that these are not considered significantly different.) As of 31 May 2010, there have been 151 days in the year. From our calibrated daily data, we find that 1998 was warmer than 2010 on 96 of them

I have posted links from Dr. Spencer, and from Dr. Hansen, as well as others in climate science, and all you have posted is yap-yap.

Thus far, from all concerned is that 2010 matchs or exceeds 1998 and 2005.

Now your turn, post something from a credible source that denies that? You can do that to back up your ceaseless yap-yap, can't you?

NO liar I have shown your lies and twisting of the data you post here using your own links and posts...

I use your data and your links and you call it yap yap? Well then they are yap yap when you post them....:lol:

New Topics

Forum List

Back