Warmer Water GOOD for Corals it seems.

...or it could just be real science.

It is real science, I am not doubting its validity, I am questioning the motivation for posting it.

So a person can post any random bit that supports AGW and that is OK but anyone posting something that doesn't support it is "suspect". Who appointed you dictator?

Dictator? That's a little melodramatic. I am really tired of the republican storyline. It is obviously self-serving to adopt beliefs that allow you continue a lifestyle without having to consider its effects. By denying AGW, people are able to do this. This is my opinion of this disagreement over AGW.

Last edited:
It is real science, I am not doubting its validity, I am questioning the motivation for posting it.

So a person can post any random bit that supports AGW and that is OK but anyone posting something that doesn't support it is "suspect". Who appointed you dictator?

Dictator? That's a little melodramatic. I am really tired of the republican storyline. It is obviously self-serving to adopt beliefs that allow you continue a lifestyle without having to consider its effects. By denying AGW, people are able to do this. This is my opinion of this disagreement over AGW.

Thought police are tools of the totalitarian state, read your Orwell. Scepticism of AGW is not a repub storyline no matter how much you wish it to be so. I am very liberal in most things. I am also however an earth scientist and I abhor the politicisation of science to support a takeover of peoples lives.

If you truly want to help save the planet, then pour money into a system to protect us from a asteroid strike. That really can wipe us out. AGW is a joke at best. Go ahead and research what happens when the Earth is cold as opposed to warm.

Go ahead, I dare you.

A lifestyle like enslavement to entitlements? Looks like a long way down from your high horse there. I just recognize that the Earth has gone through cycles many times before man arrived. Our influence is minimal. In your eyes, you are all powerful, so to acknowledge my truth would run counter to that.

Hmmm...... so we had two coral bleaching events in the Western Carribean in 2010. One due to unusual cold, one due to unusual heat. But 2010 went down as equal in warming to 1998, in spite of the cold snaps in North America in that year. Once again, 'Weather swings that are wider and wilder, with an overall warming'.

There's no evidence of "weather swings" that are wilder and wilder. I've been watching weatherman talk about "record temperatures" ever since I was a kid. The record depends on how long they've been keeping track. There's also the fact of urban heat islands.

If talk of records is constant, then temps must be going up. If they weren't, talk of records would be going DOWN.

Wrong assumption. A record can be "the hottest in 10 years, hottest in 100 years. Coldest in 10 years. There are a million ways for weathermen to claim some event is a "record."

another republican attempt to justify continued excess and lack of caution by the human race...

Another left-wing drone attempt to induce mass hysteria and stampede the voters into approving their totalitarian agenda.

Thought police are tools of the totalitarian state, read your Orwell. Scepticism of AGW is not a repub storyline no matter how much you wish it to be so. I am very liberal in most things. I am also however an earth scientist and I abhor the politicisation of science to support a takeover of peoples lives.

If you truly want to help save the planet, then pour money into a system to protect us from a asteroid strike. That really can wipe us out. AGW is a joke at best. Go ahead and research what happens when the Earth is cold as opposed to warm.

Go ahead, I dare you.

Go ahead and research what happens when there is a rapid change in temperature, either down or up. Pretty much the same, and not good for the life at the time.

We know that we will take a major asteroid strike within the next million years or so. We also know that at the present rate of warming that there are going to be some very unpleasant consequences in the coming years, likely, months.

A lifestyle like enslavement to entitlements? Looks like a long way down from your high horse there. I just recognize that the Earth has gone through cycles many times before man arrived. Our influence is minimal. In your eyes, you are all powerful, so to acknowledge my truth would run counter to that.

Considering what blue green algae did to the Earth, I hardly think that your assumption that we are too small to have an effect is some really flawed logic.

Go ahead, I dare you.

An Earth scientists that post drivel from rightwingnut blogs, and swears all the peer reviewed journals in the world are in on a conspiracy to sell the idea of global warming.
'Sheesh!

Considering what blue green algae did to the Earth, I hardly think that your assumption that we are too small to have an effect is some really flawed logic.

Yes, and they were working on it for 3.5 billion years before there was free O2 in the atmosphere. Nice analog there, flap yapper.

Go ahead, I dare you.

An Earth scientists that post drivel from rightwingnut blogs, and swears all the peer reviewed journals in the world are in on a conspiracy to sell the idea of global warming.
'Sheesh!

That's the best you've got? :lol: That's just sad, really sad.

Look at the board which conrols peer reviewed journals then. The faithers got a lock on it. Its political, not scientific.

Ruh Rohhhh, the AGW cultists didn't know about this I bet. It seems that the last 110 years of warmer waters off of the coast of Australia has been good for coral reef growth.
Yet ANOTHER assertion cast into doubt. Will they ever get something right? I doubt it...

The second link is to the Science abstract.......ruh rohhhhhh!

"A GOVERNMENT-RUN research body has found in an extensive study of corals spanning more than 1000km of Australia's coastline that the past 110 years of ocean warming has been good for their growth.

The findings undermine blanket predictions that global warming will devastate coral reefs, and add to a growing body of evidence showing corals are more resilient than previously thought, up to a certain point.

The study by the commonwealth-funded Australian Institute of Marine Science, peer-reviewed findings of which are published in the leading journal Science today, examined 27 samples from six locations from the West Australian coast off Geraldton to offshore from Darwin.

At each site, scientists took cores from massive porites corals - similar to a biopsy in humans - and counted back to record their age in much the same way tree rings are counted. Although some cores extended back to the 18th century, they focused on the period from 1900 to 2010.

The researchers found that, contrary to their expectations, warmer waters had not negatively affected coral growth. Quite the opposite, in fact: for their southern samples, where ocean temperatures are the coolest but have warmed the most, coral growth increased most significantly over the past 110 years. For their northern samples, where waters are the warmest and have changed the least, coral growth still increased, but not by as much.

"Those reefs have actually been able to take advantage of the warmer conditions," said Janice Lough, a senior AIMS research scientist and one of the study's authors.

Maria Byrne, a professor of marine biology at Sydney University, said after reading the paper that its findings "made perfect sense". "Temperature rules metabolism, so it's a no-brainer that if you get more temperature you will get more metabolism."

Cookies must be enabled | The Australian

Growth of Western Australian Corals in the Anthropocene

Oh walleyedretard, you are such a silly ignorant high school dropout. Your denier cult sources lie to you all the time but you're just too stupid to ever check up on the nonsense they feed you.

Ocean temps drive coral growth — and decline
New study helps pinpoint global warming impacts

February 5, 2012
(excerpts)

Drilling into coral reef growth bands — much like dendrochronologists study tree rings — enabled Australian researchers to pinpoint impacts of changing sea temperatures, showing that warming oceans have boosted coral growth in some areas — at least in the short-term. In other areas, oceans have already become too warm for optimum coral growth. The scientists from the Australian Institute of Marine Science cautioned that, despite those findings, rising ocean temperatures and ocean acidification pose serious long-term threats to coral reefs, explaining that their research helps clarify the relative impact of these two threats to date.

“Rapid warming of parts of the tropical oceans, observed to date, appears to be driving coral calcification responses. Some corals in some locations are able to keep up with these changes, whilst others are already showing that the temperature changes have exceeded optimal conditions for coral growth,” said Dr. Tim Cooper, a former research scientist with the marine science institute. “We are now in an era of rapid environmental change for the world’s coral reefs and this study provides another line of evidence that coral reefs are sensitive to these changes,” said Dr. Janice Lough, the senior principal research scientist at AIMS. “Coral calcification rates are clearly responding in the short term to temperatures, but in the longer term these responses will be compounded by the progressive impacts of ocean acidification,” she said. “Limiting the magnitude of these rapid environmental changes is fundamental to providing coral reefs, as we know them, with a future.”

Yes, and they were working on it for 3.5 billion years before there was free O2 in the atmosphere. Nice analog there, flap yapper.

And the coal and petroleum that we are burning took hundreds of millions of years to accumulate, yet we have burned a significant percentage of it in only 150 years.

So, the carbon that nature has sequestered over a period of hundreds of millions of years will be released in less than 250 years. And that will have no effect on the atmosphere or Earth. Some kinds of idiocy are beyond belief.

And the coal and petroleum that we are burning took hundreds of millions of years to accumulate, yet we have burned a significant percentage of it in only 150 years.

So, the carbon that nature has sequestered over a period of hundreds of millions of years will be released in less than 250 years. And that will have no effect on the atmosphere or Earth. Some kinds of idiocy are beyond belief.

So you say, the Earth on the other hand seems to be ignoring your prognostications. So sad for you.

So you say, the Earth on the other hand seems to be ignoring your prognostications. So sad for you.
The Earth isn't "ignoring" anything, nitwit, you just have your head jammed too far up your ass to see what is happening and you're too politically brainwashed to accept the scientific evidence so you moronically deny the reality of our situation and cling to debunked denier cult myths and lies.

It is going to be rather amusing to watch you denier cult retards try to explain away the new record high world average temperatures that will surely occur in the next few years as we approach a solar maximum and enter a new El Nino phase. 2010 was tied with 2005 as the hottest year on record even with a persistent solar minimum and multiple La Nina events that slightly inhibited the rising temperature trend. With the natural cycles reinforcing the persistent upward trend caused by AGW, the next few years will be record breaking. Meanwhile the obvious evidence of climate changes, melting ice, seasonal shifts and weird weather also continues to accumulate and get even stronger and more undeniable. Except of course to the hard core reality deniers like some of the stooges on this forum. Their official position, coupled with their ingrained ignorance and stupidity, will probably always inhibit their ability to perceive the facts, no matter how obvious the facts and evidence are to any reasonable person of even average intelligence.

ass.jpg

The Official Position of the Cult of AGW Denial

Last edited:
What was that denier cultist retard? No temp increase for the last 10 years at least. Nice try but even with Hansens fraud you are losing. Now you're losing the Germans. Nice job, you let a bunch of denier "retards" wipe the floor with your ass.

I guess you're not as smart as we are.

No temperature increase, yet the last ten years are the hottest on record. No contradicton there, none at all. Just keep moving, folks, nothing to see here.

No matter how many times you repeat a stupid lie, it remains a stupid lie.

Forum List

Back