Warm again in the Arctic

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
‘Beyond the extreme’: Scientists marvel at ‘increasingly non-natural’ Arctic warmth

Capital Weather Gang
‘Beyond the extreme’: Scientists marvel at ‘increasingly non-natural’ Arctic warmth

imrs.php

The Arctic is so warm and has been this warm for so long that scientists are struggling to explain it and are in disbelief. The climate of the Arctic is known to oscillate wildly, but scientists say this warmth is so extreme that humans surely have their hands in it and may well be changing how it operates.

Temperatures are far warmer than ever observed in modern records, and sea ice extent keeps setting record lows.

View image on Twitter
2016 was the warmest year on record in the Arctic, and 2017 has picked up right where it left off. “Arctic extreme (relative) warmth continues,” Ryan Maue, a meteorologist with WeatherBell Analytics, tweeted on Wednesday, referring to January’s temperatures.

Veteran Arctic climate scientists are stunned.

“[A]fter studying the Arctic and its climate for three and a half decades, I have concluded that what has happened over the last year goes beyond even the extreme,” wrote Mark Serreze, director of the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colo., in an essay for Earth magazine.

At the North Pole, the mercury has rocketed to near the melting point twice since November, and another huge flux of warmth is projected by models next week. Their simulations predict some places in the high Arctic will rise over 50 degrees above normal.

imrs.php

Once again, the Arctic extremes are puzzling even the 'alarmists'. Going to be another interesting year.

One chart, in particular, is a jaw-dropping and emblematic display of the intensity and duration of the Arctic warmth. It illustrates the difference from normal in the number of “freezing degree days,” a measure of the accumulated cold since September.

imrs.php

The number of freezing degree days is far lower than any other period on record. Eric Holthaus, a meteorologist and science writer who first posted the chart to Twitter, remarked it illustrated a “stunning lack of freezing power” over the Arctic. “This is happening now,” he added. “Not in 50 or 100 years — now.”

The chart was created by Nico Sun, a citizen scientist, using temperature data from the high Arctic, north of 80 degrees latitude, furnished by the Danish Meteorological Institute.

When spring starts, we are going to have the smallest, thinnest ice pact on record.

Capital Weather Gang

imrs.php

The Arctic is so warm and has been this warm for so long that scientists are struggling to explain it and are in disbelief. The climate of the Arctic is known to oscillate wildly, but scientists say this warmth is so extreme that humans surely have their hands in it and may well be changing how it operates.

Temperatures are far warmer than ever observed in modern records, and sea ice extent keeps setting record lows.

View image on Twitter
2016 was the warmest year on record in the Arctic, and 2017 has picked up right where it left off. “Arctic extreme (relative) warmth continues,” Ryan Maue, a meteorologist with WeatherBell Analytics, tweeted on Wednesday, referring to January’s temperatures.

“[A]fter studying the Arctic and its climate for three and a half decades, I have concluded that what has happened over the last year goes beyond even the extreme,” wrote Mark Serreze, director of the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colo., in an essay for Earth magazine.

At the North Pole, the mercury has rocketed to near the melting point twice since November, and another huge flux of warmth is projected by models next week. Their simulations predict some places in the high Arctic will rise over 50 degrees above normal.

imrs.php

Once again, the Arctic extremes are puzzling even the 'alarmists'. Going to be another interesting year.

More fake news

Capital Weather Gang

imrs.php

View image on Twitter

imrs.php

Non-natural is only their opinion, nothing more.

Notice how the Leftists aren't whining about the Arctic Ice Caps any more? Gee, I wonder why that is.

Wake me up when you see a study that explores the benefits of global warming. There are many, many benefits, particularly in the upper temperate regions, but NOBODY WILL WRITE ABOUT THEM because they are politically unpopular.

Notice how the Leftists aren't whining about the Arctic Ice Caps any more? Gee, I wonder why that is.

Wake me up when you see a study that explores the benefits of global warming. There are many, many benefits, particularly in the upper temperate regions, but NOBODY WILL WRITE ABOUT THEM because they are politically unpopular.

And the "Arctic is 50F warmer" meme is Fake news

Real fucking dumb on your part;

N_stddev_timeseries_thumb.png

S_stddev_timeseries_thumb.png

Arctic Sea Ice News and Analysis | Sea ice data updated daily with one-day lag

The sea ice, at both poles, are at record lows for this time of year.

2/3/17 830 EST

Barrow 14F
Kotelny -15F
Golomjannyi -9F
Thule -4F

Where is this warming?

Arctic Weather Map

DMI and NOAA use the same satellite and algorithm to create their graphs. The dead giveaway that there is a problem, is the base line shift of 7 deg C. The upward shift is NOT seen in earth stations and only the 'infilled' (made up data) modeling shows warming..

Statistical parlor trick bull shit.. FAKE NEWS!

you see the shit that we normal, hardworking, sane Oregonians have to put up with?

it sucks.

you see the shit that we normal, hardworking, sane Oregonians have to put up with?

it sucks.
You, sane? LOL All the meteorological agencies of the industrial nations say the same. The Arctic Ice is going away. Now, fruitloops like you posit an international conspiracy involving all these scientists from all the different nations and cultures, with absolutely no one squealing on it? LOL No, you and the orange clown are not sane.

it sucks.
You, sane? LOL All the meteorological agencies of the industrial nations say the same. The Arctic Ice is going away. Now, fruitloops like you posit an international conspiracy involving all these scientists from all the different nations and cultures, with absolutely no one squealing on it? LOL No, you and the orange clown are not sane.
If only you could convince the actual temperature readings to agree with your failed theory

it sucks.
Funny how empirical observations say differently..

The cold has moved south..........its actually quite common. Ive posted up several links on this already. But...........boring.:bye1:
Why, yes, it has. And the warmth normal to the south has moved north, and is decreasing the freezeup, and, occasionally, even melting some of the ice in the dead of the polar night. That is not usual. It is caused by the increase in waviness and slowing of the jet stream due to the warming of the Arctic, and the vast increase in open water there in the summer.

it sucks.
Yes it sucks , but that`s all the suckers can do (now after the election).
Just remember this WW2 motto: Illegitimi non carborundum (don`t let the bastards grind you down)

Forum List

Back