Wargames

CSM

Jul 7, 2004
Northeast US
Anyone here play wargames (besides PC and console)? I used to play a lot of board games by Avalon Hill (Panzerblitz/Panzer Leader/Squad leader, etc.) and was just curious.

I play Risk with some of my friends a few times a year. I have Axis and Allies but nobody knows how/ is willing to play it with me. Probably because it takes up[wards opf a day and the first few moves are pretty redundant.

I've played Risk, and once Diplomacy. Diplomacy was a lot of fun, but as was mentioned, these games can take hours and hours, so it's tough to get everyone together to play.

Used to play risk. One session lasted round the clock for a whole weekend. When it was all over...... emotional letdown. Haven't tried any of the others.

Yeah, my friends always betray my alliances. I've thus learned to expect an attack from ANYONE andf postition my troops likewise. There were almost fistfights a few times.

Every variety of Risk ever made except Godstorm, and that's only cause I don't have it yet. I've also played Axis and Allies, but only when I actually have the time. I've also played a civil war game by them, but I don't remember the name. A long time ago, I also used to play this hypercomplicated Revolutionary War game called "Rebels & Redcoats."

Semper Fi said:
I play Risk with some of my friends a few times a year. I have Axis and Allies but nobody knows how/ is willing to play it with me. Probably because it takes up[wards opf a day and the first few moves are pretty redundant.

I've played all three with my husband, friends and family. A&A is quite the marathon but we usually incorporate into a weekend where we can walk away and takes breaks and then get back to it.

I never win at either Risk or A&A.....I'm the only civilian that plays in the group!!! LOL!!!

But I kick ass on Scrabble! :bow3:

I have a friend who is also very much into strategy games. When I first got Star Wars Risk, we played 2 games. Only people to play with had girlfriends. Nobody with a girlfried wants to divide up into fair teams, they want to team with the girlfriend. First game, we played Republic. We swept up the Seperatists before they could call order 66 (order 66 is BAD for the Republic). Second game, we played the Seperatists and never called order 66 because we didn't need to.

I do think the problems with wargames is that they take huge amounts of time and/or the rules are so complicated that no one wants to actually read them.

Avalon Hill has a new game called Axis and Allies Miniatures which is supposed to take only an hour or two to play.

Axis & Allies
Fortress America
Shogun (eh, not so good)

They also came out with two new versions of A&A: Europe and Pacific theatres.

I own all of these except Shogun, though I rarely get to play any of them.

Pacific theatre I've only played once, and then as the Japanese. It's tough. You need to take India or Australia (technically you could take the U.S. too, but yeah right), before the Americans are able to build up and come stomp your ass. It's not easy to do, and I failed to accomplish it, though I think the second time around I could. I was surprised how fast the U.S. got going.

European theatre is much more realistic as compared to the old version with respect to the Eastern front. Germany is huge, Russia is huge, tons of tanks and infantry. I've always been the allies here (got to be Russia) and I haven't had too much trouble with Germany.

For old school fans, you can put the two boards together and play them both at once, though you'd probably have to keep money and forces seperate to keep it fair, or just to keep the confusion down.

Never really liked Risk. Too simplistic.

Forum List

Back