CDZ War vs. Cannibalism: Parallax?

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
War can involve killing people on a massive scale.

Cannibalism is the banned practice of eating human flesh.

There are many social critics who condemn humanity's quest for war and competitive obsession, but it is still legal, and federally-mandated declarations of war are considered very civilized.

However, it is not universally agreed therefore that war is an unethical practice, while cannibalism is considered universally to be unethical.

So we can use these two practices, seen in various human groups across world history, as useful 'debate/dialogue tokens' for our continuing civilization discussion about the contours of killing.

Here's a mock dialogue between Shiva (Hindu god of destruction) and Pennywise (the demonic fictional clown created by American horror novel writer Stephen King), two 'folk mythos avatars' symbolizing philosophical self-control, about the parametrics of killing as they can be evaluated through the lens of the war-cannibalism dualism. The dialogue is meant to stir comments and critiques.

=====
SHIVA: The evaluation of war crimes clearly makes cannibalism more unethical.
PENNYWISE: Oh, you mean, there's no 'manners' to cannibalism?
SHIVA: Correct. Furthermore, cannibals never feel regret.
PENNYWISE: Yes, war veterans sometimes feel regret.
SHIVA: Which is why veterans deserve moral support --- unlike cannibals.
PENNYWISE: What about vigilantes? They believe in self-determined governance.
SHIVA: A 'maniac cop' is not too different from a bullyish soldier, but cannibals are inhuman.
PENNYWISE: Brutality and savagery are not unlinked.
SHIVA: Yes, but savagery implies a species-wide problem (perhaps even genetic).
PENNYWISE: Brutality could be an inherited trait.
SHIVA: But brutality is not a brainwashing plague.
PENNYWISE: The Bible forbids killing of any kind.
SHIVA: The spy-film License to Kill speaks to 'democratic intrigue.'
PENNYWISE: I suppose cannibals do not champion democracy.
=====

SAMPLE COUNTER-POINT: War does not necessarily champion democracy.
SAMPLE DEFENSE POINT: The Bible elucidates the war between Michael and Satan.

Hope that helps!
Enjoy!

shiva-pennywise.jpg

Parallax is a displacement or difference in the apparent position of an object viewed along two different lines of sight, and is measured by the angle or semi-angle of inclination between those two lines (source: Wikipedia).

I didn't use the word 'paradox' since 'parallax' is more inviting and open to more criticism/dialogue regarding this war-cannibalism contour.

Feel free to use 'paradox' if you like. Do you think the difference is a clear paradox?

Parallax is a displacement or difference in the apparent position of an object viewed along two different lines of sight, and is measured by the angle or semi-angle of inclination between those two lines (source: Wikipedia).

I didn't use the word 'paradox' since 'parallax' is more inviting and open to more criticism/dialogue regarding this war-cannibalism contour.

Feel free to use 'paradox' if you like. Do you think the difference is a clear paradox?
Here is not the place for me to share what I think about the thread topic.

Forum List

Back