War protestor abuses dead soldier's family

LuvRPgrl

Aug 11, 2005
This is currently on AOL news

"The parents of a slain Tennessee soldier are suing the maker of this T-shirt for including their son's name on a list of soldiers who died in the Iraq war. The shirt has "Bush Lied" on the front and "They Died" on the back. Robin and Michael Read of Greeneville, Tenn., claim the online merchant has intentionally inflicted them emotional harm.

The lawsuit filed by Robin and Michael Read of Greeneville, Tenn., accuses Dan Frazier of Flagstaff of intentionally inflicting emotional harm by including Spc. Brandon Michael Read's name on casualty lists printed on "Bush lied -- They died" T-shirts without permission and by ignoring a demand to remove their son's name"

NOT TO MENTION THE VAST MAJORITY OF READERS AGREE WITH THE SOLDIERS FAMILY

Depends on Tennessee law. Some states do have laws giving next of kin rights over uses of their dead loved one's name and image. I think the T-shirt maker should respect the parents' wishes, even if no law supports them.

Depends on Tennessee law. Some states do have laws giving next of kin rights over uses of their dead loved one's name and image. I think the T-shirt maker should respect the parents' wishes, even if no law supports them.

The T-shirt maker already said he wont respect ANY of the parents nor any of the families of dead soldiers wishes. He stands by his free speech right and will keep making the t-shirts.

The T-shirt maker already said he wont respect ANY of the parents nor any of the families of dead soldiers wishes. He stands by his free speech right and will keep making the t-shirts.

Peeps like him are seriously pathetic

This kind of falls in line with my comments in another thread about some guy punching a wheelchair bound girl at a Bush book opening. There just any thread of decency in this person. I don't know how he looks at a mirror.

it's free speech because its political least that's what the federal judge said:

"U.S. District Court Judge Neil V. Wake later issued an injunction shielding Frazier from criminal prosecution pending a final ruling on a challenge filed by Frazier on First Amendment grounds.

In his ruling, Wake acknowledged that Frazier's use of soldiers' names may increase the hurt of loved ones but said the shirts are political speech and thus protected by the Constitution."

source

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0425shirtsuit0425.html

also what about this 10 million injury claim?

what happened to tort reform?

it's free speech because its political least that's what the federal judge said:

"U.S. District Court Judge Neil V. Wake later issued an injunction shielding Frazier from criminal prosecution pending a final ruling on a challenge filed by Frazier on First Amendment grounds.

In his ruling, Wake acknowledged that Frazier's use of soldiers' names may increase the hurt of loved ones but said the shirts are political speech and thus protected by the Constitution."

source

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/0425shirtsuit0425.html

also what about this 10 million injury claim?

what happened to tort reform?

That doesn't make it decent.

What do you think of Bush’s use of 9-11 for his campaign?

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0310/p08s01-comv.html

The ads feature World Trade Center ruins and firefighters removing a victim's flag-draped remains. Some of the 9/11 families and a firefighters union condemned the ads as exploiting a tragedy for political gain.

Don’t the relatives of those who died have some say?

decent... interesting concept.

though, I don't buy all the allusions and excuses. If the guy was punching anyone his ass should be busted for assault.

What do you think of Bush’s use of 9-11 for his campaign?

http://www.csmonitor.com/2004/0310/p08s01-comv.html

The ads feature World Trade Center ruins and firefighters removing a victim's flag-draped remains. Some of the 9/11 families and a firefighters union condemned the ads as exploiting a tragedy for political gain.

Don’t the relatives of those who died have some say?

Actually I think they do.

NO PERSON dead or alive should be used to exploit anothers cause. If the person initiating the cause DOESN'T have the permission to use the others name then it shouldnt be done. PERIOD!

I agree. You shouldn't be exploited by anyone for political (or monetary in this guy's case) gain.

I want to say that Texas has a law where the names of the deceased can not be used unless permission is given by the deceased family. I think I remember reading something that Tennessee also has the same law. I'll have to check though

I want to say that Texas has a law where the names of the deceased can not be used unless permission is given by the deceased family. I think I remember reading something that Tennessee also has the same law. I'll have to check though

I seem to recall that doing such things is not good for one's health in Texas ... unless you're in Austin.

I seem to recall that doing such things is not good for one's health in Texas ... unless you're in Austin.

LOL....yes I do recall such instances where one's health had decreased under the stealing names policy. lol

Forum List

Back