War on Terror?

Originally posted by st8_o_mind
The documentation provided is fully linked as noted in my post. The links don't appear in the cut and paste but are availailable at the link I provided in keeping with the policies of this board. Conwebwatch has done an admirable job in documenting the distorted, biased and sloppy coverage of Newsmax.

How is reiterating what the Wall Street Journal has already reported "distorted, biased and sloppy coverage?" I suppose the WSJ is a Conservative Mouthpiece of the Right wing conspiracy as well.

Originally posted by insein
How is reiterating what the Wall Street Journal has already reported "distorted, biased and sloppy coverage?" I suppose the WSJ is a Conservative Mouthpiece of the Right wing conspiracy as well.

My comment about distorted, iased and sloppy was directed at Newsmax, not the WSJ. I don't read the WSJ and therefore know it only by reputation.

Robert Fisk's Orwellian Newspeak May 04, 2001

For more than two decades, journalist Robert Fisk has used his correspondent card to proudly become a crusader for Arab and Palestinian causes.

Dear HonestReporting Member,

Back in the 1970s Fisk began reporting from Beirut for the London Times. His dispatches in 1982 from the Palestinian side of Beirut were full of purple prose describing Palestinian women as "Madonnas" of renaissance artists or "El Greco" characters with "beseeching eyes and hands." Fisk's identification with the Palestinians only grew after shrapnel from the fighting hit near his apartment. When Palestinian fighters fled Beirut, Fisk sadly wrote of his "friend's" humiliation, embarrassment and "uncontrollable... weeping."

Now, 25 years later, Fisk is sending daily dispatches from Palestinian territories for the British Independent.

In one recent article entitled, "How pointless checkpoints humiliate the lions of Palestine, sending them on the road to vengeance" (April 14), Fisk sat in a column of Arab cars waiting to pass through an Israeli checkpoint.

Fisk charges Israel with "bestializing" the Palestinian people. He describes the humiliation of Arab men whom he identifies as "lions and eagles," who are whipped into obedient "donkeys." Finally, he writes -- in the first person -- "Now it was our turn [to go through the checkpoint]... cockroaches ready to be crushed."

On April 17, Fisk renewed an old canard, in an article entitled, "When journalists refuse to tell the truth about Israel -- Fear of being slandered as 'anti-Semites' means we are abetting terrible deeds in the Middle East."

The article compares Israel with South Africa. Well, "No," Fisk admits, "Israel is not South Africa," yet he incessantly continues to compare Israel with the apartheid regime. Israel's attempts to stop terror cells that plan and carry out attacks against Jewish civilians are, in Fisk's eyes, reminiscent of South African "death squads." Fisk also accuses Israel of racism, but no facts are offered -- perhaps because Israel is guilty only of protecting the security of its residents, rather than imposing racist restrictions.

Fisk portrays any reporter not willing to criticize Israel as a coward: "Our gutlessness, our refusal to tell the truth, our fear of being slandered as 'anti-Semites' -- the most loathsome of libels against any journalist -- means that we are aiding and abetting terrible deeds in the Middle East."

This is an old Fisk theme. In a ranging interview in The Progressive (July 1998), Fisk attacked the Middle East reporting of American colleagues. "American journalists, whether they be on television or in the press, are very frightened of writing a report which is going to make Israel -- or, more important, Israel's supporters in the United States -- unhappy. If you dare to criticize Israel's policies or their actions... you will inevitably get the claim that you must be racist, anti-Semitic, and that is intended to shut you up."

honestreporting.com

Forum List

Back