War On Rabbits!

B. Kidd

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2010
Western Lands
I'm winning. Bought a 'Haveaheart' trap last month. Have caught and released 5 of 'em so far. My plants are thanking me.......

Poor little fuzzy wuzzy hippity hops. I always figure, animals have more rightsd outdoors than we do. Where ever possible give em a break. That's where they're supposed to live and seek their daily bread. If they come indoors that's their ass, but outside is where they're supposed to be.

If your plants aren't food plants and only things being grown because they look nice, killing other animals isn't justified.

If your plants are food plants you're eating or selling, you're somewhat justified, though if you can devise some equitable arrangement or cro-sharing wit animals do so.

If your plants are cannabis, fuck em. Set bear traps and buy a .22 rifle. :)

I'm not killing them. Catching and releasing. They like riding in the car.

So YOU are the one who has been releasing rabbits in my yard!!! I'll shoot you like I have been shooting them if I catch ya doin' it again :banana2:

I wish we had more rabbits, but the hood is teeming with feral cats at the moment, so small wildlife is getting thin in these parts ;)

So YOU are the one who has been releasing rabbits in my yard!!! I'll shoot you like I have been shooting them if I catch ya doin' it again :banana2:

I wish we had more rabbits, but the hood is teeming with feral cats at the moment, so small wildlife is getting thin in these parts ;)

Got 2 more! I release them at Wetlands Park here in Vegas.
You can also trap feral cats with those 'Haveaheart' cages. Just don't trap a skunk!

You can also trap feral cats with those 'Haveaheart' cages. Just don't trap a skunk!

I could catch feral cats with a can of 9-Lives LOL. No problem there. I just don't because I know the shelter will kill them before I get home if they do not act like a house cat the second they come in the door (and even then they might get a few days before being killed at most). I don't mind them for the most part as long as they are not fighting. My yard is cat paradise so they have a tendency to have territorial disputes for it (and all the critters the landscaping lures in that they like to kill)

I could catch feral cats with a can of 9-Lives LOL. No problem there. I just don't because I know the shelter will kill them before I get home if they do not act like a house cat the second they come in the door (and even then they might get a few days before being killed at most). I don't mind them for the most part as long as they are not fighting. My yard is cat paradise so they have a tendency to have territorial disputes for it (and all the critters the landscaping lures in that they like to kill)

Stray cats spray all over everything. They could also have rabies. They can get rabies from getting bitten but also from eating an infected animal.

^^^
You might want to think about calling an animal rescue place or something about those cats. I don't know where you live but winter is coming, and food is going to get scarce for those animals. Honestly, although it sounds cruel, those cats might be better off euthanized rather than freezing and starving to death.

^^^
You might want to think about calling an animal rescue place or something about those cats. I don't know where you live but winter is coming, and food is going to get scarce for those animals. Honestly, although it sounds cruel, those cats might be better off euthanized rather than freezing and starving to death.

Winters are not that harsh and everybody in the neighborhood feeds them. The dog catcher periodically traps them when people complain, but not really like they are starving. Most of them are fat LOL. There is one that likes to hang out with our pitbull in the backyard and shares his food. They are the Odd Couple.

^^^

Winters are not that harsh and everybody in the neighborhood feeds them. The dog catcher periodically traps them when people complain, but not really like they are starving. Most of them are fat LOL. There is one that likes to hang out with our pitbull in the backyard and shares his food. They are the Odd Couple.

That's good. Just watch your stuff for cat spray! Stray cats just LOVE to mark their territory. They'll spray on your lawn furniture, on your car, even on YOU if they consider you territory. :lol:

Catching/trapping and releasing is NOT good. First, you are just transferring the problem to someone else...even if it is a park or nature preserve you will be upsetting the natural balance of wildlife. Second, most animals have "territories" and when a new one comes into another's territory, they will either starve or get killed. Third, they will not be familiar with the area and won't know where to hide or have a "home"!

Catching/trapping and releasing is NOT good. First, you are just transferring the problem to someone else...even if it is a park or nature preserve you will be upsetting the natural balance of wildlife. Second, most animals have "territories" and when a new one comes into another's territory, they will either starve or get killed. Third, they will not be familiar with the area and won't know where to hide or have a "home"!

Still better than killing them outright I suppose. I really don't mind rabbits. To me it would be easier to put up a fence around my garden than to be out catching, hauling, releasing bunnies.

If the Wetlands Park is as it sounds, it sounds perfect for your rabbits. If you don't already, cover the cage while you're near it so they're not having to look up at a predator. The cottontails I rehabbed were always released at a nearby golf course.

The thing about wildlife rehab is that you do it on faith. You can never know how well they did after you released them. The consensus is that predators do better than prey animals but it sounds like you're giving them a decent chance.

I've trapped skunks. Have rehabbed several and never got sprayed. One time, there was one trapped under a small tool building with a jar stuck on his head. The const company at that site lifted the building and I crawled under, nabbed the jar and wiggled out faster than I thought I could. Later I thought about how crazy it was that I was under a building that could have crushed me.

A tiny baby skunk brought to rehab took a turn for the worse so took him to the vet I used for all the wildlife. I wore gloves at the head end so I didn't get bitten and with my hands wrapped around him, kept his tail tucked under so he couldn't spray while the vet gave him sub-q fluids. I had to do it twice more with no help. The poor little guy cried but didn't spray. I really loved that little "squirt" and was happy to place him in a really excellent education sanctuary where I had also placed other animals.

I always specialized in raptors, especially owls. Except for vultures, birds can't smell - which is why you can always handle chicks and put them back in the nest. The parent will just see a gaping beak and cram in the food.

Worst great horned owl I ever rehabbed had been hit by a car but had apparently had skunk for dinner because he just reeked. It was awful. He never got a turn in the ICU room. I put him outside from day one. He had a head injury, did well and was eventually released but he smelled right up until that day and he never knew it.

I used to agree and have trapped and pts many ferals. Now, however, having seen it work very well, I'm in favor of TNR.

BUT, certain conditions must be there first. A caretaker, someone who is committed to feeding and to maintaining some sort of cover and protection from the worst weather. The colony evens out and no more are added. They die out of natural attrition.

If you do TNR, make sure the vet notches the ear so you're not re-trapping the same cats.

If they're just removed from a colony, more move in, more are born, more disease and misery for the animals.

Never ever trap them and then release in a new area though. Better to take them to your local hs or animal control to be humanely put down.

The cat in my avi is ear-tipped on the left ear, if you look close. He's one of the ferals that I did TNR (trap-neuter-return) on. I think he eventually used his good looks to charm his way into someone's house.

All my TNR subjects were boys, about 6 of them. The girls are more cautious, and don't roam far from their home turf, so I never found them. The TNR does end the spraying from the boys, and most of the fighting.

And since I have cats around, bunnies are not a problem. Except when kitty brings baby bunny inside and then kills it. It's very difficult to get arterial spray off of flat white paint.

KIDS05_Wabbit_Season_image01.jpg

The cat in my avi is ear-tipped on the left ear, if you look close. He's one of the ferals that I did TNR (trap-neuter-return) on. I think he eventually used his good looks to charm his way into someone's house.

All my TNR subjects were boys, about 6 of them. The girls are more cautious, and don't roam far from their home turf, so I never found them. The TNR does end the spraying from the boys, and most of the fighting.

And since I have cats around, bunnies are not a problem. Except when kitty brings baby bunny inside and then kills it. It's very difficult to get arterial spray off of flat white paint.

TNR would be against the law I think in my city--at least for long. Vets report to the local government directly when you do the vax and the city then makes you get a license, and there is pet limit of 5 I think currently. You would be asking for animal control to be up in your grill if you did it for more than a couple.

Forum List

Back