War on Opioids

Americans need their drugs and booze to cope with our anxiety caused by working long hours and dealing with the stress. So they turn to these things thinking they will help whi!e actually making things worse. They need relaxation and an escape...all peop!edo. Drugs and booze aren't the answer. But we tried prohibition....people need their alcohol. Banning it is frankly a poor idea.

We are fighting the opioid crisis by trying to stop doctors from prescribing them. Only 40% of opioid deaths are due to prescription provided opioids. That amounts to 25,000 deaths a year.

Over 80,000 or 3 times as many die from alcohol. not county the 15 million people suffer from alcohol induced medical issues.

Smoking kills over 480,000 every year.

Yet, we can buy tobacco & alcohol when ever we want at a location near you.

There are 100 million people with some type of pain. Many live productive lives by taking prescribed opioids. But no more. They either do without or have the inexpensive opioids replaced by expensive drugs like Lyrica.
Those fighting this war decided that stopping these deaths is more important that these people getting the drugs they need.

Seems to me that if taking opioids off the market is the solution to the opioid war that this plan should also work to solve the tobacco & alcohol deaths by taking these off the market.

Considering you approve of grabbing guns from law abiding citizens to prevent criminals from using them, complaining about going after the wrong target in this case seems a bit hypocritical.

So, you are saying people need to own assault type rifles with 150 round magazines so they can function without pain?
It's not up to you to tell other people what they need

That's just one of the reason we should decriminalize all drugs

So as long as I think I need something, it should be legal? Sometimes I have the need to grab a12 pack & go joy riding in my jacked up 4x4 shooting road signs out the window. Its OK because I am a really good drunk driver & I always hit my target when I shoot my guns.

Idiot.

What do you care if a person drinks smoke shoots up or does anything else? It's non of your business what anyone else eats, drinks , smokes, shoots into his veins or shoves up his ass

And BTW your stupid examples are of people doing things that have a direct and harmful outcome to OTHER People or their property

I do not know a single person or have heard of one that suffers from chronic pain whose opioids are still prescribed.
Red herring, I didn't say anything about chronic pain. And nor would I have to do so, as it does not take long at all to become addicted to opioids.

We are fighting the opioid crisis by trying to stop doctors from prescribing them. Only 40% of opioid deaths are due to prescription provided opioids.
Two things wrong with this:

1) Nobody is trying to stop doctors from prescribing them. They are trying to stop doctors from overprescribing them. There is a difference.

2) A large percentage of the other opioid deaths are of people who first became addicted to opioids via overprescription of opioids.
Over the years, when I've gone to the dentist, they've prescribed Vicodin for the pain. Now they just tell me to use Ibuprofin, which isn't nearly as effective in controlling the pain. Nowadays its hard to get adequate pain relief because of asshole politicians playing doctor.
Well, that is an interesting anecdote, and I am not doubting your experience.. And yet, still, opioids are prescribed at an amazing rate. So, while your anecdote is noted, the data tell the real story.

People who are in real pain do not get addicted or high from these drugs
They absolutely do, and continue to do so after they are no longer experiencing the condition for which they were prescribed opioids in the first place. . This is documented all over the nation. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

My father just had a knee replacement a month ago and had a tough time getting the appropriate amount of pain killers he needed afterwards. The people getting hurt by this are the people who actually need them.
.... but not the incredible number of people dying from opioid overdoses. Got it. When was you father's funeral for his knee pain, again?

My father just had a knee replacement a month ago and had a tough time getting the appropriate amount of pain killers he needed afterwards. The people getting hurt by this are the people who actually need them.
.... but not the incredible number of people dying from opioid overdoses. Got it. When was you father's funeral for his knee pain, again?
People who die of drug overdoses are making their own choice to do so

Legalize or at least decriminalize all drugs

I suspect all of us know someone addicted to Big Pharma’s drugs. I know of several. These drugs are very addictive for some people, but necessary for those in real pain.

Problem is they are over prescribed. It is all about the money like most things in the USA. Big government is owned by big pharmaceutical, so don’t expect any changes.

Doctors are being directed to no longer prescribe opioid & instead they must look for other methods.
Not in all cases... you are wrong to say so.

The fact is that they have overprescribed opioids precisely because of the profit motive, both their own and that of the pharmaceutical companies. So to make the claim that they are now being asked not to prescribe them because of the profit motive is rather silly.
I do not know a single person or have heard of one that suffers from chronic pain whose opioids are still prescribed.

You do now.

My doctor doesn't like to prescribe them to me and doesn't do it often but yes, my doctor writes prescriptions of demerol for me when I need it.

We are fighting the opioid crisis by trying to stop doctors from prescribing them. Only 40% of opioid deaths are due to prescription provided opioids.
Two things wrong with this:

1) Nobody is trying to stop doctors from prescribing them. They are trying to stop doctors from overprescribing them. There is a difference.

2) A large percentage of the other opioid deaths are of people who first became addicted to opioids via overprescription of opioids.
You are wrong, in so many ways. You have never walked in another person shoes. People who are in real pain do not get addicted or high from these drugs, and they also never get a high from them. Better get better info before you show your azz.
The Mexican Cartels want open borders. Every year more and more Americans people are getting hooked on heroin/fentanyl. There are about 50,000 overdose deaths per year. Here are a few of the victims who you may have heard about: Cory Monteith, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Prince, Chris Farley…... It is killing more people than a war. All of you open borders advocates need to get bent
I don't miss any of those Hollywood types. Most people can not afford the RX prices of 700 bucks for 30 days supply so they find other options and that is the street. If you are poor or middle class you only have few options.

People who are in real pain do get high and addicted to those drugs.

I've had a prescription for demerol for a very long time because of chronic pain.

I take the drug rarely so that I don't become addicted to it and I do get high off it if I have to take a second one. If I take it too often I know the prescription will be stopped and I won't have it anymore so I am extremely careful with it.

I find different ways to get around that pain like just going to sleep to get away from it.

Yes those with chronic pain do become addicted to it and do get high.

So others should suffer due to your lack of self control? How statist of you

We are fighting the opioid crisis by trying to stop doctors from prescribing them. Only 40% of opioid deaths are due to prescription provided opioids. That amounts to 25,000 deaths a year.

Over 80,000 or 3 times as many die from alcohol. not county the 15 million people suffer from alcohol induced medical issues.

There are 100 million people with some type of pain. Many live productive lives by taking prescribed opioids. But no more. They either do without or have the inexpensive opioids replaced by expensive drugs like Lyrica.
Those fighting this war decided that stopping these deaths is more important that these people getting the drugs they need.

Seems to me that if taking opioids off the market is the solution to the opioid war that this plan should also work to solve the tobacco & alcohol deaths by taking these off the market.

I was in a near death accident with monster 15 foot waves in 2009. I was lucky, I ended up in a coma instead of dead.

When I left the hospital the doctor asked me what drug I wanted. I refused the oxyheroin garbage. I knew what it was. I had a severe spine injury with nerve damage in my hands and arms. At the time my right hand was useless and a claw. I had use of my thumb and one finger in my left hand. The nerve damage pain it caused is agony. Especially cold. Cold feels like burning red hot fire knives slicing through them.

I told him I would take demerol, yes it's an opioid too but not an oxy. He wanted me to take the oxyheroin garbage. He said the demerol wouldn't do anything for the pain in my spine. It wasn't strong enough. I told him that's ok I'll deal with it. I had enough problems to deal with and didn't want to add an opioid addiction to it. He was right too. It didn't do much to kill the pain in my spine. It did nothing for the nerve damage pain in my hands and arms but opioids don't work on nerve damage pain.

I didn't know what lyrica is so I didn't refuse it. Lyrica is a narcotic and additive. It does get people high. It also has a very long list of very bad side effects one of which is extremely deadly. If you go off of it you can't do it cold turkey or you will get withdrawal symptoms a lot like an opioid. One not like an opioid which is extremely deadly.

I know this because I took it. I have a very high tolerance to drugs and the nerve damage was very severe so my neurologist had me on 300 mg a day.

I was so high I was afraid to drive. I could barely function. I hated it. I kept telling my neurologist that I wanted to get off of it. She kept telling me I couldn't and if I did to not try it alone. One appointment she actually sat me down and asked me " what's your problem with drugs?" Every time I told her I wanted off of it she talked me out of it.

Until one night in October 2009. The pain always woke me up several times a night but that night it was very different.That night I woke up with one of the side effects that when I read it my family and I laughed because I have a very good life. That side effect is suicidal thoughts. We all laughed because we knew that I wouldn't get that side effect.

Until that night in October 2009.

I woke up in the middle of the night believing that the most rational, most normal thing for me to do would be to go into my kitchen, get a knife and kill myself. My oldest sister is a doctor and I remembered her telling me that bleeding to death is painful. I was in enough pain and didn't want to cause more. So I walked down the hall to my office to think about how to kill myself. I was trying to decide whether to stab my heart or slit my wrists. Seriously. I was actually doing that in the middle of the night thinking it was the most normal thing for me to do. After about 5 minutes or so the fog in my head lifted and I realized it was the drug. I remembered the side effect and all of us laughing about it. I realized it was the drug causing it. Obviously I didn't kill myself that night.

I did vow to get off that drug that night. Whether my neurologist like it or not. She didn't like it and I didn't tell her about that night.

I got off it myself. I had to decrease it in small amounts at a time so I wouldn't get the horrible withdrawal symptoms. I learned that by trying to decrease it by a large amount I got those withdrawn symptoms which are horrible. I had to decrease it by small amounts. So it took months, four and a half months to be exact, before I didn't take any of it anymore. March 1, 2010 was the first day I didn't take any lyrica. I got myself off it without any help from anyone.

Lyrica is a very bad drug and shouldn't be on the market in my opinion.

The drug that did help a lot, more than lyrica and much faster without all the horrible side effects is medical marijuana. I got a prescription for it in November of 2009. I read on line about how it does something to neurons and nerves. I don't understand medical language so I didn't understand most of what I was reading but it boiled down to, marijuana is very good for what's called "over active" nerves. It works faster, doesn't have the horrible side effects and I can control it. I don't have to take a lot of it and get so high I can't function like lyrica.

Lyrica isn't formally classified as an opioid but it's at the very bottom of that class of drugs. It has the same addictive problems and it does make a person high just as opioids do.

It has one added and very fun side effect, you could end up killing yourself.

Last edited:

I was in a near death accident with monster 15 foot waves in 2009. I was lucky, I ended up in a coma instead of dead.

When I left the hospital the doctor asked me what drug I wanted. I refused the oxyheroin garbage. I knew what it was. I had a severe spine injury with nerve damage in my hands and arms. At the time my right hand was useless and a claw. I had use of my thumb and one finger in my left hand. The nerve damage pain it caused is agony. Especially cold. Cold feels like burning red hot fire knives slicing through them.

I told him I would take demerol, yes it's an opioid too but not an oxy. He said it wouldn't do anything for the pain. I told him that's ok I'll deal with it. I had enough problems to deal with and didn't want to add an opioid addiction to it.

I didn't know what lyrica is so I didn't refuse it. Lyrica is a narcotic and additive. It does get people high. It also has a very long list of very bad side effects one of which is extremely deadly. If you go off of it you can't do it cold turkey or you will get withdrawal symptoms a lot like an opioid. One not like an opioid which is extremely deadly.

I know this because I took it. I have a very high tolerance to drugs and the nerve damage was very severe so my neurologist had me on 300 mg a day.

I was so high I was afraid to drive. I could barely function. I hated it. I kept telling my neurologist that I wanted to get off of it. She kept telling me I couldn't and if I did to not try it alone. One appointment she actually sat me down and asked me " what's your problem with drugs?" Every time I told her I wanted off of it she talked me out of it.

Until one night in October 2009. The pain always woke me up several times a night but that night it was very different.That night I woke up with one of the side effects that when I read it my family and I laughed because I have a very good life. That side effect is suicidal thoughts. We all laughed because we knew that I wouldn't get that side effect.

I woke up in the middle of the night believing that the most rational, most normal thing for me to do would be to go into my kitchen, get a knife and kill myself. My oldest sister is a doctor and I remembered her telling me that bleeding to death is painful. I was in enough pain and didn't want to cause more. So I walked down the hall to my office to think about how to kill myself. I was trying to decide whether to stab my heart or slit my wrists. Seriously. I was actually doing that in the middle of the night thinking it was the most normal thing for me to do. After about 5 minutes or so the fog in my head lifted and I realized it was the drug. I remembered the side effect and all of us laughing about it. I realized it was the drug causing it. Obviously I didn't kill myself that night.

I did vow to get off that drug that night. Whether my neurologist like it or not. She didn't like it and I didn't tell her about that night.

I got off it myself. I had to decrease it in small amounts at a time so I wouldn't get the horrible withdrawal symptoms. I learned that only by trying to decrease it by a large amount and got those withdrawn symptoms which are horrible. So it took months, four and a half months to be exact, before I didn't take any of it anymore. March 1, 2010 was the first day I didn't take any lyrica. I got myself off it without any help from anyone.

The drug that did help a lot, more than lyrica and much faster without all the horrible side effects is medical marijuana. I got a prescription for it in November of 2009. I read on line about how it does something to neurons and nerves. I don't understand medical language so I didn't understand most of what I was reading but it boiled down to, marijuana is very good for what's called "over active" nerves. It works faster, doesn't have the horrible side effects and I can control it. I don't have to take a lot of it and get so high I can't function like lyrica.

Lyrica isn't formally classified as an opioid but it's at the very bottom of that class of drugs. It has the same addictive problems and it does make a person high just as opioids do.

Thank you your input.

I told him I would take demerol, yes it's an opioid too but not an oxy. He said it wouldn't do anything for the pain. I told him that's ok I'll deal with it. I had enough problems to deal with and didn't want to add an opioid addiction to it.

I got off it myself. I had to decrease it in small amounts at a time so I wouldn't get the horrible withdrawal symptoms. I learned that only by trying to decrease it by a large amount and got those withdrawn symptoms which are horrible. So it took months, four and a half months to be exact, before I didn't take any of it anymore. March 1, 2010 was the first day I didn't take any lyrica. I got myself off it without any help from anyone.

Thank you your input.

You're welcome.

Anyone who thinks that lyrica is safe, not narcotic and not addictive is very wrong.

It also can kill you.

I have a couple friends who have fibromyalgia, I've warned them about lyrica. They listened to me and never took that drug.

My opinion is that it shouldn't be on the market.

No doctor tells you about the suicidal thoughts. I only knew about it because I read the very long list of side effects.

If they're going to allow that drug to be on the market doctors should be required to tell the patient exactly what it is and that the suicidal thoughts are very real and could very well happen.

It happened to me.

Forum List

Back