War on Islam or Terrorism?

What kind of war are we fighting?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Fighting a war against Islam would be a huge mistake, and would be incredibly costly on every side. Just because someone is an Arab does not make them Muslim, just as not all Muslims are Arabs. If you want to start having suicide bombers in every major American social gathering, then yes, let's start a war on Islam. Turning this war into a war of Christians vs Muslims is something that we as a country cannot afford, and that we cannot support. It is the ignorant path to take, and is exactly what they (the terrorists) want. As soon as we declare war on a faith, then it does become a Jihad...

PsuedoGhost said:
Fighting a war against Islam would be a huge mistake, and would be incredibly costly on every side. Just because someone is an Arab does not make them Muslim, just as not all Muslims are Arabs. If you want to start having suicide bombers in every major American social gathering, then yes, let's start a war on Islam. Turning this war into a war of Christians vs Muslims is something that we as a country cannot afford, and that we cannot support. It is the ignorant path to take, and is exactly what they (the terrorists) want. As soon as we declare war on a faith, then it does become a Jihad...
Warped thinking. The jihad on Christians and Jews appears to be exactly what Bin Laden and the Iranian mullahs have been screaming about for the past 25 years. To ignor them is suicidal, many of us already have perceived that much. :rolleyes: The idea that it's 'up to us' is delusional and pompous.

Kathianne said:
Warped thinking. The jihad on Christians and Jews appears to be exactly what Bin Laden and the Iranian mullahs have been screaming about for the past 25 years. To ignor them is suicidal, many of us already have perceived that much. :rolleyes: The idea that it's 'up to us' is delusional and pompous.

Care to explain how that is warped thinking? They can scream about how much they want this to be a jihad (it's not), and as long as we don't give into what they want us to do (attack mosques, kill innocent muslims on purpose, attack mecca), then their support will flounder amongst the rational muslims. As soon as we start attacking mosques, killing muslims, then this will become a jihad, and will become a war at home.

The worst case scenario for any war plan in the Middle East is to turn a minor conflict into a regional battle of religion. If you think Israel would survive a Jewish/Christian vs Arab war, you are gravely mistaken.

PsuedoGhost said:
Care to explain how that is warped thinking? They can scream about how much they want this to be a jihad (it's not), and as long as we don't give into what they want us to do (attack mosques, kill innocent muslims on purpose, attack mecca), then their support will flounder amongst the rational muslims. As soon as we start attacking mosques, killing muslims, then this will become a jihad, and will become a war at home.

The worst case scenario for any war plan in the Middle East is to turn a minor conflict into a regional battle of religion. If you think Israel would survive a Jewish/Christian vs Arab war, you are gravely mistaken.

jihad
One entry found for jihad.
Main Entry: ji·had
Variant(s): also je·had /ji-'häd, chiefly British -'had/
Function: noun
Etymology: Arabic jihAd
1 : a holy war waged on behalf of Islam as a religious duty; also : a personal struggle in devotion to Islam especially involving spiritual discipline
2 : a crusade for a principle or belief

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Jihad

Does this not fit the description of what is going on. Aren't these insurgents "crusading" on the belief that all infidels should die and leave the Middle East alone? Either pick up a rifle or shut the fuck up.

PsuedoGhost said:

Bingo. The people who think OBL and Iranian mullahs represent mainstream Islam are delusional and pompous IMO.

Dr Grump said:
Bingo. The people who think OBL and Iranian mullahs represent mainstream Islam are delusional and pompous IMO.

The people who think that Jerry Falwel and Pat Robertson represent mainstream christianity are delusional and pompous IMO.

onthefence said:
The people who think that Jerry Falwel and Pat Robertson represent mainstream christianity are delusional and pompous IMO.
TG neither of them do. As for UBL and Iranian mullahs, it would be cool if they didn't, though there has been little to substantiate they are not in the mainstream.

onthefence said:
jihad
One entry found for jihad.
Main Entry: ji·had
Variant(s): also je·had /ji-'häd, chiefly British -'had/
Function: noun
Etymology: Arabic jihAd
1 : a holy war waged on behalf of Islam as a religious duty; also : a personal struggle in devotion to Islam especially involving spiritual discipline
2 : a crusade for a principle or belief

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/Jihad

Does this not fit the description of what is going on. Aren't these insurgents "crusading" on the belief that all infidels should die and leave the Middle East alone? Either pick up a rifle or shut the fuck up.

They believe they are fighting a jihad yes. But in terms of the overall religion, the terrorists are but a small sect of Islam fighting right now. If we want to turn this into an "actual" jihad, then we would be fighting every man, woman and child in the Middle East plus those at home.

I don't see you with a rifle. Is the pot calling the kettle black?

Kathianne said:
TG neither of them do. As for UBL and Iranian mullahs, it would be cool if they didn't, though there has been little to substantiate they are not in the mainstream.

Have you ever talked to any Muslims living here in the States? I had very close Muslim friends from Kuwait during the First Gulf War, and the topic of Islamic terrorism came up a number of times. The VAST majority of Muslims do NOT support the actions of UBL and Al Qaeda. A small radical group who, are typically poor, uneducated and without jobs, though do follow UBL. The same could be said of any religion though, as fanatics exist in every religion.

PsuedoGhost said:
Have you ever talked to any Muslims living here in the States? I had very close Muslim friends from Kuwait during the First Gulf War, and the topic of Islamic terrorism came up a number of times. The VAST majority of Muslims do NOT support the actions of UBL and Al Qaeda. A small radical group who, are typically poor, uneducated and without jobs, though do follow UBL. The same could be said of any religion though, as fanatics exist in every religion.
Funny, seems nearly all the Europeans and Americans that have chosen to go with Al Queda, are far from poor, uneducated. All of those involved with 9/11 were from the upper economic strata in Saudi Arabia.

Fanatics do belong in every religion, difference is that the mainstream religions do consider them fanatical and condemn any violence/hatred. Show me a mainstream Catholic that isn't extremely wary of Opus Dei? The idiotic 'Christian' fringe group/family that has been harrassing military funerals, has engendered counter groups. Those Jews that become radicalized, even in Israel, are put on trial when they put ideas into practice.

Kathianne said:
Funny, seems nearly all the Europeans and Americans that have chosen to go with Al Queda, are far from poor, uneducated. All of those involved with 9/11 were from the upper economic strata in Saudi Arabia.

Fanatics do belong in every religion, difference is that the mainstream religions do consider them fanatical and condemn any violence/hatred. Show me a mainstream Catholic that isn't extremely wary of Opus Dei? The idiotic 'Christian' fringe group/family that has been harrassing military funerals, has engendered counter groups. Those Jews that become radicalized, even in Israel, are put on trial when they put ideas into practice.

On 9/11, yes. But your average suicide bomber is poor, illiterate, and without work.

PsuedoGhost said:
On 9/11, yes. But your average suicide bomber is poor, illiterate, and without work.
Suicide bombers? Palis, yes. European, no. Saudis, no-though they are working at blocking any return, 'let them stay in Iraq...'

These are not street gangs.

PsuedoGhost said:
They believe they are fighting a jihad yes. But in terms of the overall religion, the terrorists are but a small sect of Islam fighting right now. If we want to turn this into an "actual" jihad, then we would be fighting every man, woman and child in the Middle East plus those at home.

I don't see you with a rifle. Is the pot calling the kettle black?

If they believe they are fighting a jihad, then they are in fact fighting a jihad. A jihad has been declared. An entire religion will never fight a war, but a sizable force will. I thinks its called an Army. Just as when the United States fights a war, the entire country does go fight, but a sizable force, called an Army, goes to fight. Are you following me? A jihad, just as any other war is fought with an Army, not the entire entity that it is representing. If a Muslim tells me he is not a jihadist and acts accordingly, then I will respect him. When a Muslim tells me he is not a jihadist, but points a Kalishnikov at me,Then... I'm sure you can figure out what happens next.

Get what I'm saying though? Calling this war anything other than a jihad, is calling the kettle white.

If you have trouble grasping any of this, I'll be happy to get out my rose-colored crayons and draw you a picture.

Forum List

Back