'War Machine' Movie: Required Viewing for Americans...

Everyone should check this movie out. It's on NetFlix. Brad Pitt is excellent in it. Why are we still in Afghanistan? Folks should definitely check it out. Enjoy.
There can't possibly be a legitimate reason or strategic advantage. Im guessing that all the military experts at the Pentagon for the past 15 years, and 3 presidents in a row just happen to enjoy killing.
There's a lot of $$$$$ in it.
For who? Who got this money you speak of?

Definitely not average American Taxpayers. Our Government still can't account for missing $Billions in both Iraq and Afghanistan.
So explain why 3 presidents and the Pentagon would be interested in getting a bunch of money for these shadowy people.

I'm not sure how any of the Trump supporters in this thread say they like the movie. Maybe they got confused and missed the message? Pitt's character, who is based off real life General McChrystal, says they are not there to kill Muslims, unless they are absolutely sure they are a dangerous threat to them or civilians, because for every Muslim they kill, there are several Muslims on the fence about becoming terrorist and when they see their friend/brother/father get killed by a U.S. soldier it just makes them become an enemy.

Stanley A. McChrystal - Wikipedia

War Machine in an anti-war film, but most people who just like action shoot-em-up films don't even realize it, they just like seeing guys in uniform at war depicted on screen.
Well, it does star Brad Pitt soooooo..... :)

Most war films are "anti-war". However, some recognize the necessity of the action while others seem to think along the lines "Well, if we just surrender, everything will be okay".

"Platoon" and "Apocalypse Now", both among the top Vietnam films are decidedly anti-war. "Blackhawk Down" and "Saving Private Ryan", my top two favorite war movies, are also anti-war but both also recognize the need to fight bad guys.

I'm not sure how any of the Trump supporters in this thread say they like the movie. Maybe they got confused and missed the message? Pitt's character, who is based off real life General McChrystal, says they are not there to kill Muslims, unless they are absolutely sure they are a dangerous threat to them or civilians, because for every Muslim they kill, there are several Muslims on the fence about becoming terrorist and when they see their friend/brother/father get killed by a U.S. soldier it just makes them become an enemy.

I like and respect General McChrystal. He literally wrote the book on COIN. It was politics that got him canned and, IMHO, to both our nation's and Afghanistan's detriment.

I like and respect General McChrystal. He literally wrote the book on COIN. It was politics that got him canned and, IMHO, to both our nation's and Afghanistan's detriment.

The bizarre madness of invasion and occupation. It is kinda funny in a bizarre way.

War Machine in an anti-war film, but most people who just like action shoot-em-up films don't even realize it, they just like seeing guys in uniform at war depicted on screen.

Most war films are "anti-war". However, some recognize the necessity of the action while others seem to think along the lines "Well, if we just surrender, everything will be okay".

"Platoon" and "Apocalypse Now", both among the top Vietnam films are decidedly anti-war. "Blackhawk Down" and "Saving Private Ryan", my top two favorite war movies, are also anti-war but both also recognize the need to fight bad guys.

In all fairness it is pretty hard to make a pro-war film. Maybe The Patriot with Mel Gibson?

The bizarre madness of invasion and occupation. It is kinda funny in a bizarre way.
Seriously dude? You don't remember why the US invaded Afghanistan in the first place? Odd. The US have virtual global support to do so after 9/11. Iraq cost us most of that support. You should know that most combat vets in leadership positions were against invading Iraq. Most people here remember the reason why: "no exit strategy". Three simple words that mean a helluva lot in terms of American blood and taxpayer money.

In all fairness it is pretty hard to make a pro-war film. Maybe The Patriot with Mel Gibson?
Even that one showed a pacifist who finally agreed war was the last option.

Seriously dude? You don't remember why the US invaded Afghanistan in the first place? Odd. The US have virtual global support to do so after 9/11. Iraq cost us most of that support. You should know that most combat vets in leadership positions were against invading Iraq. Most people here remember the reason why: "no exit strategy". Three simple words that mean a helluva lot in terms of American blood and taxpayer money.

Check out the movie. It's really good.

300? Braveheart? It's just hard to find a pro-war movie. It's hard to celebrate death and destruction. I did watch the movie Unbroken and it was pretty inspiring.

300? Braveheart? It's just hard to find a pro-war movie. It's hard to celebrate death and destruction. I did watch the movie Unbroken and it was pretty inspiring.

Thanks for agreeing with my point.

Thanks for agreeing with my point.

I was never really arguing with you. I was just stating the obvious, it is pretty hard to celebrate death and destruction. Even movies like Star Wars, Independence Day, or any other movie showing a group of under dogs fighting a war through inspiration is only inspirational because of the savageness of the opposing side they have to deal with.

Forum List

Back