War Horse...

bayoubill

aka Sheik Yerbouti...
Dec 30, 2008
Cajun Country
too bad Spielberg (who's apparently completely lost touch with whatever it was that once made him a reasonably-decent director) was the one who got his hands on this story...

took a great premise (wayward father buys troublesome horse on a drunken whim; son lovingly trains troublesome horse; boy and horse save the family farm despite naysayers; horse gets taken away for the war effort; horrors of war are shown from horse's point of view; meanwhile boy enlists in the hope of finding horse; horse and boy are ultimately reunited...)

and turned it into a boring, overlong, steaming pile of horse schlock...

major points taken away for the run time (2:26)...

in the hands of a more able director, this story shouldn't have taken more'n, say, 1:45 to tell, and told in a way that left me feeling satisfied, unlike this doughy unevenly-cooked mess...

bottom line... this movie made me pissed me off that I wasted $9.50 of my money and 2-1/2 hours of my life watching it...

best I can give it is a C- ...

I saw War Horse at Lincoln Center and saw the Spielberg movie the other day. The play was better in terms of character development and moving the story along.

The father was a huge prick in the play and there was a major storyline of Albert making his peace with him
The German soldier was split into three characters by Spielberg and was much more sympathetic in the play
The little French girl did not make sense in either the play or the movie but the girl was much younger in the play

Also, the horse puppets were awesome

I saw War Horse at Lincoln Center and saw the Spielberg movie the other day. The play was better in terms of character development and moving the story along.

The father was a huge prick in the play and there was a major storyline of Albert making his peace with him
The German soldier was split into three characters by Spielberg and was much more sympathetic in the play
The little French girl did not make sense in either the play or the movie but the girl was much younger in the play

the insertion of the little French girl and her grandfather in the movie reminded me of the insertion of the shutter falling off the window in "Color Purple"...

Spielberg is a heavy-handed overrated hack...

the insertion of the little French girl and her grandfather in the movie reminded me of the insertion of the shutter falling off the window in "Color Purple"...

Spielberg is a heavy-handed overrated hack...

The French girl was maybe nine in the play and played a small role in reuniting Albert and Joey. But the character really didn't add much to either the play or movie. The grandfather made less sense. That whole storyline could have been dropped from the movie. The auction scene at the end made no sense and was not in the play

geez... this piece of s*** got an Academy Award nom for best picture...?!

just goes to show that

1... 2011 was a suck-ass year for movies

2... people are suckers for movies about horses

3... people are suckers for movies with (over-rated hack) Spielberg's name on 'em

4... people need to rediscover what good movies are all about

irony: war horse being popular and obama signing the bill to allow horses to be slaughtered again

i have no clue who i am gonna vote for

Ask yourself, which of the candidates is reviled by both the Democrat party base AND the Republican party base...? Which candidate knows how to budget some spare change we could believe in...? :lol:

irony: war horse being popular and obama signing the bill to allow horses to be slaughtered again

i have no clue who i am gonna vote for

Ask yourself, which of the candidates is reviled by both the Democrat party base AND the Republican party base...? Which candidate knows how to budget some spare change we could believe in...? :lol:

geezum... the movie sucked enough as it was... do ya really hafta drag politics into the discussion...?

too bad Spielberg (who's apparently completely lost touch with whatever it was that once made him a reasonably-decent director) was the one who got his hands on this story...

took a great premise (wayward father buys troublesome horse on a drunken whim; son lovingly trains troublesome horse; boy and horse save the family farm despite naysayers; horse gets taken away for the war effort; horrors of war are shown from horse's point of view; meanwhile boy enlists in the hope of finding horse; horse and boy are ultimately reunited...)

in the hands of a more able director, this story shouldn't have taken more'n, say, 1:45 to tell, and told in a way that left me feeling satisfied, unlike this doughy unevenly-cooked mess...

bottom line... this movie made me pissed me off that I wasted $9.50 of my money and 2-1/2 hours of my life watching it...

I am not sure what you were smoking or snorting BEFORE you saw "War Horse", but the movie YOU supposedly watched was not the movie that my wife and I watched earlier today.

We both thought War Horse was a GREAT movie. I would rate the movie as possibly the finest movie Steven Spielberg has ever made. It is, arguably, Spielberg's crowning achievement.

EVERYTHING about "War Horse" is terrific.........the storyline, the special effects, the emotional roller coaster, the twists and turns, the majesty and beauty of the horses............wow, what a GREAT movie.

We are in our mid-fifties, and we were both moved to tears more than once (especially the wife).

I thought Spielberg "lost his way" many years ago, and his best days were behind him. Watching "War Horse" earlier today proved me wrong.

Anybody who loves horses and is a "history-buff" will thoroughly enjoy this movie.

De-sensitized video-zombies, artificial adrenaline junkies, and under-educated basement dwellers will certainly HATE "War Horse". It's way out of their "league", and well beyond their scope of understanding, their maturity level, and their overall level of knowledge of anything that happens in the "real" world.

On a scale of 1.0-10.0 (1.0 being the lowest score and 10.0 being the highest score), we give "War Horse" a SOLID 9.9 (with the assumption that there has never been a movie that has graded a perfect 10.0).

I am not sure what you were smoking or snorting BEFORE you saw "War Horse", but the movie YOU supposedly watched was not the movie that my wife and I watched earlier today.

We both thought War Horse was a GREAT movie. I would rate the movie as possibly the finest movie Steven Spielberg has ever made. It is, arguably, Spielberg's crowning achievement.

EVERYTHING about "War Horse" is terrific.........the storyline, the special effects, the emotional roller coaster, the twists and turns, the majesty and beauty of the horses............wow, what a GREAT movie.

We are in our mid-fifties, and we were both moved to tears more than once (especially the wife).

I thought Spielberg "lost his way" many years ago, and his best days were behind him. Watching "War Horse" earlier today proved me wrong.

Anybody who loves horses and is a "history-buff" will thoroughly enjoy this movie.

De-sensitized video-zombies, artificial adrenaline junkies, and under-educated basement dwellers will certainly HATE "War Horse". It's way out of their "league", and well beyond their scope of understanding, their maturity level, and their overall level of knowledge of anything that happens in the "real" world.

On a scale of 1.0-10.0 (1.0 being the lowest score and 10.0 being the highest score), we give "War Horse" a SOLID 9.9 (with the assumption that there has never been a movie that has graded a perfect 10.0).

so... the lobotomy was apparently successful for both you and your wife...? congratulations...

but then again... mebbe your take on the movie was a sign of early-onset dementia... in which case you have my condolences...

btw, on a not-entirely unrelated note, I'd be willing to bet you and your wife voted for Obama...

Last edited:

so... the lobotomy was apparently successful for both you and your wife...? congratulations...

but then again... mebbe your take on the movie was a sign of early-onset dementia... in which case you have my condolences...

btw, on a not-entirely unrelated note, I'd be willing to bet you and your wife voted for Obama...

I apologize for coming on too strong with my criticism of you over "War Horse". We happened to thoroughly enjoy the movie, and obviously you didn't.

I don't see the "political" connection between liking a movie about a horse that survived WW1, and voting for Barack Obama. I doubt that Evel Knievel would have attempted that "leap".

Just for the record, if you would read at least some of my postings in the "Politics" section of this forum, you would quickly find that if a .44 magnum were held to my head, I still would NEVER vote for Barack Hussein Obama. Obama is a traitorous bastard who is destroying my country. Is that clear enough for you? :eek:

Forum List

Back