War Crimes Trial For Georgia Leader?

Orange_Juice

Jul 24, 2008
Russia to Put On Trial Saakashvili - Kommersant Moscow

Georgia’s President Mikhail Saakashvili will be probably put on trial under the RF laws for crimes committed in South Ossetia, the RF Prosecutor General Office representative Marina Gridneva told Interfax.
Clause 12 of the RF Criminal Code, Gridneva reminded, says that “nonresidents or the stateless citizens, who don’t permanently reside in the RF and who have committed a crime outside the RF are criminally liable, if the crime contradicts interests of the RF and in the cases specified in the international treaty of the RF and provided they haven’t been condemned in the foreign state and are brought to the criminal account in the RF.”

President Dmitry Medvedev ordered August 10 to collect and record evidences of crimes against civilians in South Ossetia. A team of detectives of the RF Prosecutor General Office Investigating Committee has set to executing this order of president.

Russia to Put On Trial Saakashvili - Kommersant Moscow

Georgia’s President Mikhail Saakashvili will be probably put on trial under the RF laws for crimes committed in South Ossetia, the RF Prosecutor General Office representative Marina Gridneva told Interfax.
Clause 12 of the RF Criminal Code, Gridneva reminded, says that “nonresidents or the stateless citizens, who don’t permanently reside in the RF and who have committed a crime outside the RF are criminally liable, if the crime contradicts interests of the RF and in the cases specified in the international treaty of the RF and provided they haven’t been condemned in the foreign state and are brought to the criminal account in the RF.”

President Dmitry Medvedev ordered August 10 to collect and record evidences of crimes against civilians in South Ossetia. A team of detectives of the RF Prosecutor General Office Investigating Committee has set to executing this order of president.

And this is who McCain/Bush are siding with? Go figure.

I'm not really familiar with RF laws but it seems odd that Russia would be able to put anyone on trial if the leader they were looking to prosecute for war crimes were the leader of a sovereign nation.:confused:

I'm not really familiar with RF laws but it seems odd that Russia would be able to put anyone on trial if the leader they were looking to prosecute for war crimes were the leader of a sovereign nation.:confused:

I think if I hear anything more about war crimes I'll puke. Since when did anyone think that there was any justice or civility in war ?

That's the point. They want Georgia. It will be much easier to get if they jail or kill the leader of that country. When you see "war crimes trial" think fig leaf.

Russia putting Saakashvili on trial for war crimes!!!!??? Another example of putin's arrogance and hypocrisy. As a war criminal himself, he is hardly in a position to take the moral high ground on such an issue.

Seems he has forgotten about his adventures in Chechnya!

Who ignored their Geneva convention obligations by indiscriminately and disproportionately bombing and shelling civilian areas, causing heavy civilian casualties?…..the Russians

Who refused to create safe corridors to allow civilians to leave areas of active fighting, trapping civilians behind front lines for months?….the Russians.

Who, as documented by Human Rights Watch, committed three large scale massacres of civilians, including rape and arson?….the Russians.

Who went on a killing spree in the Aldi district of Grozny, shooting at least sixty-two and possibly many more civilians who were waiting in the street and their yards for soldiers to check their documents?….the Russians

Well, what's good for the goose should also be good for the gander.When is Putin going to stand trial for his war crimes?

Russia putting Saakashvili on trial for war crimes!!!!??? Another example of putin's arrogance and hypocrisy. As a war criminal himself, he is hardly in a position to take the moral high ground on such an issue.

Seems he has forgotten about his adventures in Chechnya!

Who ignored their Geneva convention obligations by indiscriminately and disproportionately bombing and shelling civilian areas, causing heavy civilian casualties?…..the Russians

Who refused to create safe corridors to allow civilians to leave areas of active fighting, trapping civilians behind front lines for months?….the Russians.

Who, as documented by Human Rights Watch, committed three large scale massacres of civilians, including rape and arson?….the Russians.

Who went on a killing spree in the Aldi district of Grozny, shooting at least sixty-two and possibly many more civilians who were waiting in the street and their yards for soldiers to check their documents?….the Russians

Well, what's good for the goose should also be good for the gander.When is Putin going to stand trial for his war crimes?

Putin will stand trial for it when someone goes and gets him and makes him stand trial. Volunteers? ............I thought not.

Look, this is nothing but naked criminal aggression by a large state. In real life, they can do what they want to whom they want as often as they want and nobody has the power or the will to do anything about it.

I can't imagine this will amount to anything, unless some pictures emerge showing one side or the other engaged in an Abu Garib like human rights crime. I'm not sure either side went that far yet.

I can't imagine this will amount to anything, unless some pictures emerge showing one side or the other engaged in an Abu Garib like human rights crime. I'm not sure either side went that far yet.

I've seen kids in the halls of junior high schools who went further than the "torture" at Abu Garib.

The Russians have been canvasing the South Ossetia cities with cameras taking photos of each and every dead body to use as proof in this Show Trial.

Never mind that a bunch of the of those bodies were caused by the full scale armor attack on the city by the Russians. But, then again, the Russians were calling it genocide 15 minutes after the attack began.

I believe the accusation is ethnic cleansing, isn't it?

Anyone know if there's a shred of truth in the charge?

I don't.

And this is who McCain/Bush are siding with? Go figure.

Well Mac is supporting him because his advisor on the subject has brought in nearly a cool mill in money from the Georgian gov't for his firm... The way I understand it several of those zeros found his bank account.

Well Mac is supporting him because his advisor on the subject has brought in nearly a cool mill in money from the Georgian gov't for his firm... The way I understand it several of those zeros found his bank account.
That's not fair, Jeepers. You know how excited Republicans get at the prospect of a world war, no matter how far fetched. The guy is probably drooling as we speak.

Forum List

Back