War crimes lawsuits

DKSuddeth

Oct 20, 2003
North Texas
yahoo article

WASHINGTON - The Supreme Court ruled Monday that Americans can sue foreign governments over looted art, stolen property and war crimes dating to the 1930s, a victory for an elderly California woman trying to get back $150 million worth of paintings stolen by the Nazis more than 65 years ago.

Justices said that the governments are not necessarily protected from lawsuits in U.S. courts over old claims. But those claims could still face stumbling blocks.

is this a good or a bad thing?

This has been trying to be done for quite some time. A man from New York lost a painting and it was recovered. He tried to get it back and had no proof that it was his, it too was worth over $100,000.

Originally posted by DKSuddeth
I'm speaking in generalities of lawsuits for war crimes, not necessarily specific items.

I think both are going to be hard to prove and just a waste of money! So many lawsuits and how many have actually been won?

Originally posted by janeeng
I think both are going to be hard to prove and just a waste of money! So many lawsuits and how many have actually been won?

It wont be a waste to the lawyers who make $$ from ppl trying to get MORE money.

Originally posted by -=d=-
It wont be a waste to the lawyers who make $$ from ppl trying to get MORE money.

Putting it that way, this is true! they always seem to come out well. Us on the other hand, waste tons of money on this kind of crap. Tax dollars being spent wisely!!! :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back