War crimes charges

Jos

Rookie
Feb 6, 2010
Israeli officials may have less to fear coming to UK but uncomfortable questions remain

A “senior Israeli official” speaking to the paper anonymously, claimed that “the [British] government promised it would be changed so that only the Attorney General, who is a political figure we can trust, would authorize universal jurisdiction arrests” (my emphasis). However, the contentious amendment eventually assigned this responsibility to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The paper also notes that “Britain’s ambassador to Israel, Matthew Gould, contacted Almog and Livni personally after the law was amended to tell them they could now visit Britain without risking arrest” (and at least in Livni’s case, on the same day as the amendment).

However, what transpired when the then-Israeli FM answered Foreign Secretary William Hague’s invitation proved what Almog now says (and what Livni worried about in an interview even while in London) – that the changes could not entirely protect an individual with a case to answer.

As I wrote at the time, “Livni only avoided a warrant due to a legal assessment by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) that she was on a ‘Special Mission’.” In other words, the new law was not actually tested. The Ha’aretz report supports this version of events, noting that “the visit was still defined as official, in order to guarantee her protection under diplomatic immunity” (my emphasis).

Uncomfortable questions remain. What was a UK ambassador doing, personally contacting two individuals suspected of war crimes to assure them they would be safe from arrest in Britain? In addition, does the decision to go public about Almog and Israeli disquiet with the status quo presage a new round of pressure on the British government for a further weakening of our universal jurisdiction legislation?
Israeli officials may have less to fear coming to UK but uncomfortable questions remain | | Independent Editor's choice Blogs

Israeli officials may have less to fear coming to UK but uncomfortable questions remain

When I saw this thread, I assumed the turd OP was referring to syria so I fixed it for her:

"Syrian officials have to fear visitng anywhere in the world except iran, china and russia. They will likely be arrested and face war crimes' and crimes against humanity charges if they travel anywhere else."

Last edited:

When I saw this thread, I assumed the turd OP was referring to syria so I fixed it for her:

"Syrian officials have to fear visitng anywhere in the world except iran, china and russia. They will likely be arrested and face war crimes' and crimes against humanity charges if they travel anywhere else."
Yup, Muslim leaders are slaughtering their people by the thousands and all that this jerkoff can talk about is Israel.

A “senior Israeli official” speaking to the paper anonymously, claimed that “the [British] government promised it would be changed so that only the Attorney General, who is a political figure we can trust, would authorize universal jurisdiction arrests” (my emphasis). However, the contentious amendment eventually assigned this responsibility to the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The paper also notes that “Britain’s ambassador to Israel, Matthew Gould, contacted Almog and Livni personally after the law was amended to tell them they could now visit Britain without risking arrest” (and at least in Livni’s case, on the same day as the amendment).

However, what transpired when the then-Israeli FM answered Foreign Secretary William Hague’s invitation proved what Almog now says (and what Livni worried about in an interview even while in London) – that the changes could not entirely protect an individual with a case to answer.

As I wrote at the time, “Livni only avoided a warrant due to a legal assessment by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) that she was on a ‘Special Mission’.” In other words, the new law was not actually tested. The Ha’aretz report supports this version of events, noting that “the visit was still defined as official, in order to guarantee her protection under diplomatic immunity” (my emphasis).

Uncomfortable questions remain. What was a UK ambassador doing, personally contacting two individuals suspected of war crimes to assure them they would be safe from arrest in Britain? In addition, does the decision to go public about Almog and Israeli disquiet with the status quo presage a new round of pressure on the British government for a further weakening of our universal jurisdiction legislation?
Israeli officials may have less to fear coming to UK but uncomfortable questions remain | | Independent Editor's choice Blogs

:clap2: :lol:

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos
  • Banned
An Israeli general wanted for alleged war crimes escaped arrest in the UK because British police feared an armed confrontation at Heathrow airport.

Documents seen by BBC News reveal how Major General Doron Almog managed to fly back to Israel when police failed to board his plane in September 2005.

He stayed on board for two hours after a tip-off that he was facing detention.
BBC NEWS | UK | Police feared 'airport stand-off'

• Banned
The Israeli opposition leader Tzipi Livni has avoided the possibility of prosecution in a British court for war crimes after the Foreign Office declared that she enjoys temporary diplomatic immunity.

A private application for a warrant to arrest the former foreign minister during her visit to London was made on Tuesday and had been under consideration by the director of public prosecutions, Keir Starmer QC.

But the announcement that the Foreign Office had issued a rarely heard of certificate that she was on a "special mission" infuriated Palestinian activists and human rights groups.

Legislation passed earlier this year requires the DPP to give his consent to any private prosecution for war crimes launched in courts in England and Wales to prevent politically motivated cases and to ensure that there was "solid evidence". Under what is known as universal jurisdiction, war crimes committed anywhere in the world can be tried in UK courts.

The arrival of Livni was a significant test case. In late 2009, an arrest warrant was issued for Livni on the grounds she had been a member of the Israeli war cabinet that sanctioned the assault on Gaza in which more than a thousand Palestinians were killed. On that occasion she cancelled her visit.
Tzipi Livni spared war crime arrest threat | World news | The Guardian

Doron Almog I get..but Livni I think is a bit of a reach.

I don't see you can hold the entire cabinets of countries responsible for deaths committed by their soldiers - there needs to be a direct link to the command structe; clear evidence that orders were given.

"An Israeli general wanted for alleged war crimes escaped arrest in the UK because British police feared an armed confrontation at Heathrow airport."
Outstanding! Jews with big guns is always good, of course.

Doron Almog I get..but Livni I think is a bit of a reach.

I don't see you can hold the entire cabinets of countries responsible for deaths committed by their soldiers - there needs to be a direct link to the command structe; clear evidence that orders were given.

Both Lebanon and Gaza experienced a large number of civilian casualties and civilian infrastructure destroyed.

It is too consistent to be rogue troops. It looks more like policy.

Tinmore -

I agree - but I would expect the policy to be determined more by military leaders than political ones - unless there is a clear paper trail to suggest otherwise.

Conceptually, I think this is vital to the future of the ICC system. We need to prosecute those guilty of war crimes, but we have to be careful not to pursue political cases - there needs to be a clear case against an individual with proof that they noy only attended meetings, but gave orders to, for instance, ignore civilian casualties.

I don't agree with charging Livni (or Colin Powell, or Hillary Clinton or Jack Straw) with war crimes, because I don't believe any of them ever ordered a soldier to do anything to a civilian.

Forum List

Back