WaPo New Poll and The Dems Are Not Going To Like It

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/11/26/AR2005112600745_pf.html

Sympathetic Vibrations
By Chris Cillizza and Peter Slevin
Sunday, November 27, 2005; A04

Democrats fumed last week at Vice President Cheney's suggestion that criticism of the administration's war policies was itself becoming a hindrance to the war effort. But a new poll indicates most Americans are sympathetic to Cheney's point.

Seventy percent of people surveyed said that criticism of the war by Democratic senators hurts troop morale -- with 44 percent saying morale is hurt "a lot," according to a poll taken by RT Strategies. Even self-identified Democrats agree: 55 percent believe criticism hurts morale, while 21 percent say it helps morale.

The results surely will rankle many Democrats, who argue that it is patriotic and supportive of the troops to call attention to what they believe are deep flaws in President Bush's Iraq strategy. But the survey itself cannot be dismissed as a partisan attack. The RTs in RT Strategies are Thomas Riehle, a Democrat, and Lance Tarrance, a veteran GOP pollster.

Their poll also indicates many Americans are skeptical of Democratic complaints about the war. Just three of 10 adults accept that Democrats are leveling criticism because they believe this will help U.S. efforts in Iraq. A majority believes the motive is really to "gain a partisan political advantage."

This poll is one of the few pieces of supportive news the administration has had lately on Iraq. Most surveys have shown significant majorities believe it was a mistake to go to war, as well as rising sentiment that Bush misled Americans in making the case for it.

Even so, there is still support for Bush's policy going forward. A plurality, 49 percent, believe that troops should come home only when the Iraqi government can provide for its own security, while 16 percent support immediate withdrawal, regardless of the circumstances.

theim said:
Thank ye! Seemed like big news to me. Well I guess the bigger news is that they asked the right questions!

Kathianne said:
Thank ye! Seemed like big news to me. Well I guess the bigger news is that they asked the right questions!

Problem is that this poll does not "prove" that the righteous American people are sick of the lies Chimpsuit McHitlerburton and are on the verge of GLORIOUS REVOLUTION. Actually it runs directly counter to the Dems claims that their bleating actually helps morale because the stupid hayseed hicks who joined the military because they are misguidedly nostalgic at best and jingoisic nutcases at worst need to be brought home for their own good.

Kathianne said:

hey just 5 minutes ago you argued polls are worthless. :poke:

nosarcasm said:
lay it out for me.
From my post:

the Queen said:
ONE PART OF THIS I AGREE WITH, THE DEMOCRATS ARE PLAYING GAMES, BUT MOST AMERICANS REALLY SEEM TO FEEL DIFFERENTLY THAN THE INTERNATIONAL PRESS HAS BEEN ABLE TO PICK UP. OUR POLLS HAVE BECOME VERY BIASED, AS HAS THE MEDIA. SINCE 2000 MOST AMERICANS HAVE BECOME VERY AWARE OF READING QUESTIONS IN POLLS, AND NO LONGER TRUST THE POLLSTERS, WHICH REALLY I GUESS FEW EVER DID. YET WHEN ASKED QUESTIONS ON WHICH THEY CAN ANSWER STRAIT, LIKE THAT REPORTED FROM WAPO TODAY, YOU SEE OVER 70% RECOGNIZE THE POLITICS. THAT'S NOT JUST REPUBLICANS!

just joshing with the name! ;) Tracy and Comrade!

its all in the question and sample selection even the example you gave.

Being able to manipulate em myself I dont give much credit to polls
Straight answers can be manipulated as good.

Dont get me wrong I assume this example might be true, and would
make sense but I would try not to use it in discussions. Maybe
I am allergic these days to polling

When you take polls seriously you have to advocate a dictatorship. Most
people dont know anything. Especially when 70% of the idiots couldnt
find Iraq on a map. I could care less what their opinion about the war is.

You guys did a trick on me, I am ready to start my own dictatorship. :bat:

I agree. Polls still worthless. Why else would you have exit polls say 80% Kerry landslide with a 53 to 47 Bush victory? Polls are worthless unless they are an official vote from the people. ALL the people.

nosarcasm said:
its all in the question and sample selection even the example you gave.

Being able to manipulate em myself I dont give much credit to polls
Straight answers can be manipulated as good.

Dont get me wrong I assume this example might be true, and would
make sense but I would try not to use it in discussions. Maybe
I am allergic these days to polling

When you take polls seriously you have to advocate a dictatorship. Most
people dont know anything. Especially when 70% of the idiots couldnt
find Iraq on a map. I could care less what their opinion about the war is.

You guys did a trick on me, I am ready to start my own dictatorship. :bat:

That was my point all along. Pollsters used to 'try' to be unbiased, no longer. We all know it.

Forum List

Back