Wanted: Those With IQs Over 85:

Who are willing to take the time to listen to what this fellow has to say.

Europe is more at peace today than at any time in the last thousand years

No. Just because now there is an absolute lock on power in Europe, it doesn't mean that Europe is at peace.

The Roman Empire didn't stand for peace either.

Europe has spent centuries fighting each other

Their problems today are comparatively trivial

If you were lower income living next to a Muslim ghetto you would not think it was trivial or go out at night.

I'm a lot more concerned with what is happening in my own country and need to clean up our own house before sticking our noses in everyone else's business. :)

I understand and agree, there's little we can do, other than learn from mistakes, hopefully. As part of NATO, is it ok for the US to be concerned, or aware, of what is happening in Europe. The world seems so much smaller today.

Well, I would be concerned, but it seems that is what they want. :dunno:

I'm a lot more concerned with what is happening in my own country and need to clean up our own house before sticking our noses in everyone else's business. :)

I understand and agree, there's little we can do, other than learn from mistakes, hopefully. As part of NATO, is it ok for the US to be concerned, or aware, of what is happening in Europe. The world seems so much smaller today.

Well, I would be concerned, but it seems that is what they want. :dunno:

I'm not sure what is wanted or who wants it. My Italians friends are deeply worried about what is happening in their country and feel powerless to stop it. It is a good idea to be aware of European happenings and hear other opinions - we too often get hand picked news. WWI and WWII came out of Europe and millions died.

The title of this thread caught my eye. Winston Churchill wrote a series of books about WWII and the events leading up to it. The title of the first one is 'The Gathering Storm'.

The last paragraph in the preface begins -

One day President Roosevelt told me that he was asking publicly for suggestions about what the war should be called. I said at once, "The Unnecessary War". There never was a war more easy to stop than that which has just wrecked what was left of the world from the previous struggle (WWI)...
And ends -
...It is my earnest hope that pondering upon the past may give guidance in days to come, enable a new generation to repair some of the errors of former years and thus govern, in accordance with the needs and glory of man, the awful unfolding scene of the future.

Winston Spencer Churchill
Chartwell
Westerham
Kent
March 1948

Not that you and I have much power to change anything - or that our changes, if we could make them, would be beneficial - it's just a matter of awareness of world events as a point of discussion. The ripple effect of happenings else where will eventually reach our shores.
:smile:

Who are willing to take the time to listen to what this fellow has to say.

Europe is more at peace today than at any time in the last thousand years

No. Just because now there is an absolute lock on power in Europe, it doesn't mean that Europe is at peace.

The Roman Empire didn't stand for peace either.

Europe has spent centuries fighting each other

Their problems today are comparatively trivial

No, they are not trivial, they are the same as they have always been. Many of them is about surviving centralized totalitarian oppression and defense against neighbor's. None trivial.

New Topics

Forum List

Back