Want work? Accept a job.

That is indeed the key... I owe 290K left on a 4 bedroom 2.5 bath single family home.. probably worth about 420.. but I live a bit further out than most people, choosing 30 extra minutes of commute each day over doubling the housing price and cost of living

I have friends working lower jobs at Costco and other places.. making 15 an hour... but having to deal with 2 BR apartments with a $1K to $1200 price tag each month on rent

Folks, you have to look for what is available, NOT what you want.

Unless you are a well heeled executive who makes their money cheating the workers.
Why do we have such high unemployment?
High Taxes and cheap imports combine with the underhanded tactics of Executives to create unemployment so they can force highly trained professionals (Engineers for example) to "swallow their pride" and "take what is being offerred" i order to facilitate another vaction to Aruba for the exec and his mistress.
Perhaps the US should instead lower taxes and raise tariffs.

We know many unemployed that will not accept many types of work unless it is a 9-5 job with benefits.

You ever consider maybe they're just willing and able to wait for better employment? If I'm an attorney by practice, for instance, and I lose my job, but I've got enough $$$$$ in the bank to last a whole year - why would I take the first shit non-attorney job I ran across? Any job spent making low wages is time that could be spent looking for a job in my field or simply enjoying my time off.

These folks clearly aren't desperate enough to take those jobs - which should make more room for people who really do need the money NOW to take them.

We know many unemployed that will not accept many types of work unless it is a 9-5 job with benefits.

You ever consider maybe they're just willing and able to wait for better employment? If I'm an attorney by practice, for instance, and I lose my job, but I've got enough $$$$$ in the bank to last a whole year - why would I take the first shit non-attorney job I ran across? Any job spent making low wages is time that could be spent looking for a job in my field or simply enjoying my time off.

These folks clearly aren't desperate enough to take those jobs - which should make more room for people who really do need the money NOW to take them.

Not only that, but many people are in situations where they can't afford to take work with nontraditional hours or without any benefits. Single parents with young children, for example, are pretty much stuck with daycare hours unless they have family willing to basically raise their children for them. People who made fairly high salaries prior to losing their jobs might make less taking the first crap job that comes along than they do on unemployment - why cut your income unless you have to?

I currently work far below my capabilities and education, I knew when I moved to the area where I live that was pretty much going to be a given for a while. There's no shame in it if that's what you have to do. But there are considerations other than just "pride".

Unless you are a well heeled executive who makes their money cheating the workers.
High Taxes and cheap imports combine with the underhanded tactics of Executives to create unemployment so they can force highly trained professionals (Engineers for example) to "swallow their pride" and "take what is being offerred" i order to facilitate another vaction to Aruba for the exec and his mistress.

Thank you Charles! That's exactly what's happening in this Country. In a few years your best chance of getting a good job, one you might enjoy doing, will be next to impossible. What you will be able to do is settle for a job distributing goods made overseas or the like. As I said in another post; if it's consumed in this Country, it should be fabricated in this Country. If it is fabricated in this Country, it should be serviced in this Country. There is no reason for goods we use in this Country to be made overseas, unless that is, you're looking to make as much money as you can at the expense of others.

Thank you Charles! That's exactly what's happening in this Country. In a few years your best chance of getting a good job, one you might enjoy doing, will be next to impossible. What you will be able to do is settle for a job distributing goods made overseas or the like. As I said in another post; if it's consumed in this Country, it should be fabricated in this Country. If it is fabricated in this Country, it should be serviced in this Country. There is no reason for goods we use in this Country to be made overseas, unless that is, you're looking to make as much money as you can at the expense of others.

As a consumer I like buy quality stuff at as low a price as possible. So competition from foreign companies is a great thing. If a domestic industry cannot compete with a foreign importers then resources should be diverted to other industries. Tariffs, quotas, and other protectionist policies may save a few jobs but the cost to the American consumer is far greater than the benefits. Not to mention such policies run the risk of retaliatory policies by foreign countries which reduce american exports which would hurt american workers. Some products are better suited to be made in other countries.

Last edited:
I currently work far below my capabilities and education, I knew when I moved to the area where I live that was pretty much going to be a given for a while. There's no shame in it if that's what you have to do.

you inspire me.

I am a graduate student at LSU in physics. I live in New Orleans. My wife and I would like to spend the rest of our lives living in New Orleans or close to it. But there isn't much for me in the way of physics research in NOLA. So I fully expect if I'm going to stay here I'm going to be working below my capabilities at a job that may not be the best job for me. But if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

I once heard a quote - I forget who said it - but someone once said that truly intelligent and resourceful people choose the place they want to live, and then find a way to make a living where they want to live - they don't do it the other way around, by picking a job, and then having that job lead them to a place they may or may not want to live.

Accepting something less than what you deserve is degrading; I choose to stand and fight. If I were responsible for the current crisis, I'd bite the bullet and take what I could get. I'm not responsible, so I'll wait until I find what I consider to be acceptable, thank you very much!

and therefore you shall remain unemployed and a non contributing member of society....which is your right.

I currently work far below my capabilities and education, I knew when I moved to the area where I live that was pretty much going to be a given for a while. There's no shame in it if that's what you have to do.

you inspire me.

I am a graduate student at LSU in physics. I live in New Orleans. My wife and I would like to spend the rest of our lives living in New Orleans or close to it. But there isn't much for me in the way of physics research in NOLA. So I fully expect if I'm going to stay here I'm going to be working below my capabilities at a job that may not be the best job for me. But if that's what it takes, then that's what it takes.

I once heard a quote - I forget who said it - but someone once said that truly intelligent and resourceful people choose the place they want to live, and then find a way to make a living where they want to live - they don't do it the other way around, by picking a job, and then having that job lead them to a place they may or may not want to live.

Some places are harder than others, but I think overall you're right. There are more important things than money, too.

I could have stayed where I used to live, stayed in my profession, and given up a ton of other things I thought were more important. It was my choice and I can hardly complain about it. But you're right, if you're smart and resourceful enough you'll find a way to make a living. Hopefully you'll even do it in a way you can enjoy.

Good luck to you, it's not always easy but it's worth it. :thup:

As a consumer I like buy quality stuff at as low a price as possible. So competition from foreign companies is a great thing. If a domestic industry cannot compete with a foreign importers then resources should be diverted to other industries. Tariffs, quotas, and other protectionist policies may save a few jobs but the cost to the American consumer is far greater than the benefits. Not to mention such policies run the risk of retaliatory policies by foreign countries which reduce american exports which would hurt american workers. Some products are better suited to be made in other countries.

There's nothing more I can say to you except; "I'm sorry to see that you bought into all the bull they sold you". We use to be the industrial might of the world; now, we haven't got enough industry or craftsmanship left to support ourselves if we had to.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back