Want to write for USMB?....come on in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like a lot more information before I consider it.
I guess you just declared you are uninterested?
I wouldn't mind writing for USMB if I fully understood what is entailed about it.

I am currently working on a historical novel that will end up well over 300,000 words and have just received a mental bump to write a novel for young people.

So, to write for USMB is going to require a whole lot of time management. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind writing for USMB if I fully understood what is entailed about it.

I am currently working on a historical novel that will end up well over 300,000 words and have just received a mental bump to write a novel for young people.

So, to write for USMB is going to require a whole lot of time management. :rolleyes:
What does 300,000 words look like? A bill passed by a Democratic Congress?

What does 300,000 words look like? A bill passed by a Democratic Congress?

War & Peace is 587,000 and Lord of the Rings is over 300,000.

I love this! This is awesome of awesomeness. Someone just got hold of me letting me know that this one blog was rocking and taking info I had put up on here and making it happen in Europe.

This is crazy wild! Yay.

What the heck I'll submit just because I love this forum and I know we make a difference right or left. This is the best forum ever.

I love this! This is awesome of awesomeness. Someone just got hold of me letting me know that this one blog was rocking and taking info I had put up on here and making it happen in Europe.

This is crazy wild! Yay.

What the heck I'll submit just because I love this forum and I know we make a difference right or left. This is the best forum ever.
a usual you lose me.

but, knowing there are others just like you in other parts of the world must be...uhm, shall we suggest affirming?

Maybe if an example essay of what the Staff wants to kick the thing off would help increase submissions. So far I just see two zeros up there.

To apply:
  • Contact cereal_killer via private message/conversation titled "USMB Writer" and let me know your interested in applying.
  • You will receive email address's to submit a sample of your work and further instructions.
  • Sample can consist of anything that is currently going on in the world today (past or present). Politics, climate change, mass shootings, constitution, election process -- you name it, anything goes. If your passionate about it, write about it.
  • Sample should be 500 words or less.
  • No inflammatory and/or insulting language
I did all of this when applying, but you're not told about other things beforehand. It'd help if you were told this earlier. This is what I submitted:

Sample piece ~

Whenever someone today mentions politics, one can't help but feel on edge. There's an association with politics in the world today. A negative one. To enter into the realm of politics will usually usher you into its arena, and more often than not people can't help but hate one another over it. So much enmity to it, isn't there? It's not just one monster in the room we're dealing with: there are tow large wings to the one, ugly beast in politics. Both the Left, and the Right. Mind you there are sane, reasonable, and respectable people within each group, but we're not going to focus on them quite yet.

About the Wings... we have, well, partisans. As you may know, they tend to generalize things. Some think throwing insults about is an acceptable form of discussion. We have brazen haters, smarmy whiners, and crazy nut cases.

Politics has been eaten alive for some time now by dishonest, unreasonable, and single-minded people. It's sad, but it's true. So much around me I see people [not all but some] who don't appreciate the nuances of life. They would rather hate a whole group of people based on the actions of some within it. Others use politics, and their mediums, as nothing more than a game. A game where the goal is to win, and to be nasty and vicious with those who simply disagree with you.

So what I am talking about with you guys here is that there's a lot of ugly in politics. What are we to do? How... how can we even begin to start to find a way to have relations among different... heal? I think anyone, who wants to see a change in the right direction, can try to make a difference by setting an example. To treat those who disagree with you in political discussion with respect and restraint. In my youth, I feel, if ever so slightly, that our world has become more divided and contentious than ever before. Feels like it's been torn apart.

[Insert political issue here.] No matter what there will always be partisans from both sides who tow their party lines; some worse than others. Those who want to do their part to keep the peace and help avert America from falling into further divide and possible war need to approach these political issues in a way that takes the high road. If you can, try to ignore the people who make politics a bad experience for the rest of us. My philosophy regarding any political topic is to pick away at the issue while refuting both attempts by the partisan wings to take over the discussion. I have no problem calling out either side at any time, while maintaining a sense of calm and respect. When we're talking about all of this hatred going around, especially over the internet and in the news, it's frightening, because this is how bloodshed can happen.

Hoping for peace is not be enough.

'There are too many grammar, sentence structure, spelling and coherency errors. I appreciate the intent of the article, and I agree with it; however, your writing would require too much editing. We need writers who are skilled enough that they can self-edit.'

Maybe you should tell people this before you get their hopes up, so they know exactly what is being looked for. The only reason I'm saying this is because in the OP this was said: 'We are not necessarily looking for professional writers as much as we are looking for writers that can write an op ed devoid of inflammatory and/or insulting language.' I'd like to write for USMB; I did not know that level of standard was being sought, and there was absolutely no mention of it for all to know beforehand. That's all I have to say about it at the moment.

cereal_killer I'd be happy to submit entries, with the request that drifter Dante Judicial review and G.T. and Impenitent help review and proofread them first, to eliminate any "emilynghiemilism's" that go off on "intergalactic tangents" beyond the natural scope and farthest leaps of the normal human mind. ie cut the blah blah blah and speak in plain moderate English, not too liberal, not too conservative. And not in "MLNMLSM"

You've seen my writing samples, when I almost sound normal:
Earned Amnesty
ethics-commission.net
http://www.houstonprogressive.org

With a few more sets of editing eyes looking out for me, I might actually pass as saying something intelligible.

cereal_killer I'd be happy to submit entries, with the request that drifter Dante Judicial review and G.T. and Impenitent help review and proofread them first, to eliminate any "emilynghiemilism's" that go off on "intergalactic tangents" beyond the natural scope and farthest leaps of the normal human mind. ie cut the blah blah blah and speak in plain moderate English, not too liberal, not too conservative. And not in "MLNMLSM"

You've seen my writing samples, when I almost sound normal:
Earned Amnesty
ethics-commission.net
http://www.houstonprogressive.org

With a few more sets of editing eyes looking out for me, I might actually pass as saying something intelligible.
Folks, we have a winner! :rofl:

What's there NOT to love about you Emily? And you would need a team effort. :laugh2: But I would have to bow out seeing as these days I just don't have as much free time on my hands as I used to. :D

I think this is such a fabulous idea.

Had a little hiccup the other day. PM Justin . I hope the OP levels are still ok.

So! Op-Eds? That´s it? After a big campaign we have two newbies writing Op-Eds? Mrs. M from uspoliticsonline and some "Martin Eden Mercury" busybody who puts his introduction into the Op-Ed forum?

Come on! We have good writers here. Take me for example. I don´t mince matters.

Last edited:
So! Op-Eds? That´s it? After a big campaign we have two newbies writing Op-Eds? Mrs. M from uspoliticsonline and some "Martin Eden Mercury" busybody who puts his introduction into the Op-Ed forum?

Come on! We have good writers here. Take me for example. I don´t mince matters.

Yeah. I agree. I struggled to read them hoping they would be good additions to the forum.

:(

I suspect that op-ed volunteers will come out of the woodwork as planks are added to various party platforms and November 2016 approaches. Shilling will be the content du jour.

The forum will be replete with lessons in rationalization from all sides of every aspect of debatable political issues.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back