Want to save Puerto Rico ? Dump the Jones Act.

I think it's interesting that if you search USMB for the term "jones act", there's only a few pages and back in 2010 during the gulf oil spill crisis, lefties were defending Obama's decision not to waive it.

Like I said in the OP , its protectionist . I'm sure the shipping unions love it . Trump speaks about protectionism all the time .
I hate protectionism and unreasonable regulation. I'm with you. Waive it for PR if it helps. I don't have a problem with it. Costs me nothing.

I seem to remember reading that waiving it would cause a cluster fuck at the ports that are already heavily damaged. If I am wrong, I will masturbate with a banana up my ass.

Why does my money need to bail out Puerto Rico from the corrupt government they elected?

I didn't elect their government.

trump suspends the act for a week . But why stop there ? End the Jones act!

It's a law that limits shipping to PR for American shippers only . Adding to the high cost of goods to the island .

To make it worse, the US Virgin Islands are exempt .

It's a protectionist cash grab.

The Jones Act has been hurting Puerto Rico for decades

The law dates back to 1920 and requires all goods ferried between U.S. ports to be carried on ships built, owned and operated by Americans. And those ships are far more expensive to buy and operate than ships flying foreign flags. As a result, it makes just about everything in Puerto Rico more expensive.

Hey...we agree on something.

It's a law that limits shipping to PR for American shippers only . Adding to the high cost of goods to the island .

The law dates back to 1920 and requires all goods ferried between U.S. ports to be carried on ships built, owned and operated by Americans. And those ships are far more expensive to buy and operate than ships flying foreign flags. As a result, it makes just about everything in Puerto Rico more expensive.
Or just let the island go. They don't want to be a state. They contribute what exactly to our well being?

Why does my money need to bail out Puerto Rico from the corrupt government they elected?

I didn't elect their government.

And they don't elect the government that rules over them. They've been subject to fed laws all this time . And they don't have a say in congress . So who's really been pulling the strings ?

Or just let the island go. They don't want to be a state. They contribute what exactly to our well being?

Should the us have territories ? It's supposed to be a temporary thing until statehood comes along . Or independence.

Should the us have territories ? It's supposed to be a temporary thing until statehood comes along . Or independence.
I think the decision is obvious. They have declined statehood but want to reap the benefits.

FUCK THAT

Bail them out this time and then give them Das Boot

I think the decision is obvious. They have declined statehood but want to reap the benefits.

FUCK THAT

They've never been offered statehood . No way a GOP congress would even entertain that idea .

FUCK THAT

They've never been offered statehood . No way a GOP congress would even entertain that idea .
They have had internal polls and it's been shot down every time. So I'll ask again. What do they bring to the table?

FUCK THAT

They have had internal polls and it's been shot down every time. So I'll ask again. What do they bring to the table?

It's a strategic spot for one. Why do you think we have it to begin with ?

And even if they voted 100%. It means nothing if congress doesn't act .

FUCK THAT

It's a strategic spot for one. Why do you think we have it to begin with ?

And even if they voted 100%. It means nothing if congress doesn't act .
It isn't 1898 anymore. We have rockets, planes & other manner of defenses now.

FUCK THAT

The answer is ... nothing.

Puerto Rico brings absolutely nothing to the table, and they don't even think of themselves as U.S. Americans until it's convenient to do so.

Let them rot.

Why would Republicans want to "save" Puerto Rico?

They may be Americans, but they are brown and speak Spanish.

They are the kind of Americans Republicans really hate. I mean really hate.
They also vote democrat. That's 3 strikes against them. They're luck to get any aid out of the Trump administration.

Forum List

Back