Want to reduce health care costs?

Skull Pilot

Diamond Member
Nov 17, 2007
I was talking to a friend of mine who i used to work with occasionally when I was in the financial adviser and insurance biz. he sold health insurance, I didn't so I would refer people to him.

I asked him if he thought a simple change of procedure in medical billing would save money.

If we as the insured actually submitted our claim forms to our own insurance companies just like we do with auto, home, disability insurance etc, not only would we know what our medical care actually costs thereby allowing the consumer (us) to apply market forces to health care, but we would also allow doctors and hospitals to get rid of the huge number of people they employ for the sole purpose of billing insurance companies.

These folks do nothing for our health care or the upkeep of the hospitals etc. Get rid of them.

But I am absolutely positive that no one would want to do this because it would mean actually taking responsibility for themselves and we can't have that can we?

Just think how much more we would save if we just paid for routine care out of HSAs and saved insurance coverage for the truly catastrophic stuff?

Just think how much more we would save if we just paid for routine care out of HSAs and saved insurance coverage for the truly catastrophic stuff?

And the government doesn't want to allow HSAs in the future.

But if hospitals clinics and Doctors could get rid of the billions in overhead that their billing departments require, that savings could be passed on to us. My Doc runs out of a small office and he has just as many people doing billing as he does medical staff. That is wasteful

does it ever get boring copy/pasting about hsas all day? unless you severly reduced costs, most peoples HSA would be gone after one visit to the hospital or one simple procedure

does it ever get boring copy/pasting about hsas all day? unless you severly reduced costs, most peoples HSA would be gone after one visit to the hospital or one simple procedure

You obviously do not understand the HSA.

You clearly do not understand how an HSA works.

Routine doctors visits most certainly will not drain an HSA unless the individual has contributed only a couple of hundred dollars. The actual cost of that those visits would be less if the doctor did not have to carry the overhead to bill and collect from insurance companies.

I highly recommend that you read up on how health care at Whole Foods works. They have a highly successful combination of HSAs and catastrophic coverage.

Forum List

Back