Want to Keep Pot Illegal? Time to Justify...

Discussion in 'Clean Debate Zone' started by KevinWestern, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Book of Jeremiah

Book of Jeremiah Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,885
    I'm against drinking for myself - smoking too - but I don't believe in prohibiting others from doing either. It is their own choice and should be left up to the individual.

2. KevinWestern

KevinWestern Hello

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +537

Very true.

Throwing an individual in jail results in a far greater cost to society than that individual enjoying some cannabis in his/her free time.

Costs are both in tax dollars (literally supporting someone 24/7) and other less-tangible/measurable factors such as kids growing up without dads, and dads getting out of prison and having difficulty finding a job because they were in prison, ect...

Anyways, I wish I could get this across to Katz...

For murderers, these costs are OK. We need to have those individuals off our streets. But for pot? Doesn't seem worth it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    Last edited: May 10, 2013
  3. Book of Jeremiah

Book of Jeremiah Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,885
    Kevin, let me correct myself in saying all liberals are against the legalization of marijuana. I must agree with you in hindsight it is according to the individual as there are people on both sides for and against. It is a contraversial issue.

Still I'm not flying blind here. I spent several years doing prison ministry and bible study by mail for an international ministry and can tell you that some of the young people I was ministering to didn't belong there. At all.

The emotional harm that was done to these young people by their time in prison was quite profound. There is one story I remember - I was grading bible study of a Texas inmate who had recently told me he had a new cell mate. He was in there for murder and was the size of a refrigorator. A real tough guy. Anyhow......his new cell mate ...... A young fellow - busted for pot in Texas - in fear for his physical safety. I told him you belong to Christ now - it is your duty to defend this young man! I put the fear of God into that guy so bad he finally did protect him. He actually thought he was supposed to stay clear of the matter and allow the young man to be raped! Oh! I was in rare form that day! I find it disgusting that these very same judges, lawyers, politicians make sure their own children will never see the inside of a prison cell. They buy their way out. It is despicable. - Jeri

4. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,360

Have you ever read about the history of the prohibition movement? Obviously not or you would know why there was such a movement in the first place. You would also know that every wild claim made by the prohibitionists actually came to pass. Right down to child alcoholics. In fact the reality is much worse than anything those early prohibitionists dreamed up. They never forsaw the highway carnage. So why knowing all that would we want to make things even worse with not only marijuana use but using marijuana and alcohol together. It doesn't make sense.

The majority of people who drink alcohol do not get drunk. Everyone who uses pot uses it to get high. It has no other purpose. For every person who gets drunk there will be another who gets high and another who gets both drunk and high. Whatever problems alcohol caused will be tripled. Only drug addicts will call that an improvement.

5. hipaware

hipaware Rookie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Imagine all the tax dollars the US would get if weed was legal. We are missing out on a lot of money

6. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,360
    Colorado is trying that experiment right now with a 25% tax. Thereby ensuring that the cartels will still be able to make their millions selling illegal and tax free pot.

7. ELITEofWarman8

ELITEofWarman8 King of Swissland

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Exactly. Stop tossing people in jail for simple offenses and maybe we can save a lot of money prison wise. Anyone ever think of that?

8. Katzndogz

Katzndogz Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,360
    Probably because most of them, if not all, today, aren't in prison for simple drug offenses but other offenses and drugs were just part of that. Then there are the "suspects". These are individuals who have committed a string of crimes and everyone knows it. They just can't get the evidence. Maybe witnesses have been intimidated. They get them on a drug offense and get them off the streets for at least a little while.

For the largest majority of simple drug offenses there's diversion, alternative sentencing, community service, rehab and counseling.

9. FA_Q2

FA_Q2 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,502
    Since we see cigarettes (with a tax FAR in excess of 25%) having a massive black market and cigarette cartels smuggling billions of dollars of cigarettes across the border and killing Americans every day…
    Wait..

That actually is not happening. Go figure.

10. MikeK

MikeK Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,927
    You've asked a good question, one which shows you're thinking. But consider the following:

Marijuana prohibition is beneficial to a significant segment of the Nation, mainly the prison business which happens to be the only remaining growth industry in America. Prison is big business today.

Next is the legal profession. Consider how many lawyers will go begging if marijuana is legalized.

Don't forget how many police officers at the federal, state, and local levels are engaged in marijuana prohibition

Another substantially developed new industry is the piss-testing business.

Tranquilizers are one of the most commonly prescribed drugs, which means their sales contribute significantly to the pharmaceutical industry's bottom line. But marijuana is Nature's tranquilizer -- and there is none better. If marijuana is made legal it won't be long before the drug industry will realize a major loss.

The booze industry contributes heavily to anti-marijuana organizations. Because if marijuana is legalized a substantial number of Americans who presently use alcohol to alter their consciousness will discover that marijuana is superior to booze in every way -- and it is comparatively harmless.

So there is a lot of pressure (and money) being applied to Congress to keep marijuana illegal. And the only hope we have of countering that pressure is public education, which eventually will influence voting.