Want to get sick to your stomach ?

E

eric

I always assumed, you know what they say about the word assume, that english is our offical language. Apparently NOT !

Please go check this site out, it's legit, got it out of US News & World report.

http://www.us-english.org

They are trying to get this bill passed amongst others :

English Language Unity Act of 2003 (Introduced in House)
HR 997 IH

108th CONGRESS
1st Session
H. R. 997

To declare English as the official language of the United States, to establish a uniform English language rule for naturalization, and to avoid mis-constructions of the English language texts of the laws of the United States, pursuant to Congress' powers to provide for the general welfare of the United States and to establish a uniform rule of naturalization under article I, section 8, of the Constitution.

IN THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

February 27, 2003

Mr. KING of Iowa introduced the following bill; which was referred to the Committee on Education and the Workforce, and in addition to the Committee on the Judiciary, for a period to be subsequently determined by the Speaker, in each case for consideration of such provisions as fall within the jurisdiction of the committee concerned

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A BILL

To declare English as the official language of the United States, to establish a uniform English language rule for naturalization, and to avoid mis-constructions of the English language texts of the laws of the United States, pursuant to Congress' powers to provide for the general welfare of the United States and to establish a uniform rule of naturalization under article I, section 8, of the Constitution.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `English Language Unity Act of 2003'.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

The Congress finds and declares the following:

The United States is comprised of individuals from diverse ethnic, cultural, and linguistic backgrounds, and continues to benefit from this rich diversity.

Throughout the history of the United States, the common thread binding individuals of differing backgrounds has been the English language.

Among the powers reserved to the States respectively is the power to establish the English language as the official language of the respective States, and otherwise to promote the English language within the respective States, subject to the prohibitions enumerated in the Constitution of the United States and in laws of the respective States.

SEC. 3. ENGLISH AS OFFICIAL LANGUAGE OF THE UNITED STATES.

(a) IN GENERAL- Title 4, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new chapter:

`CHAPTER 6--OFFICIAL LANGUAGE

`Sec. 161. Official language of the United States

`The official language of the United States is English.

`Sec. 162. Preserving and enhancing the role of the official language

`Representatives of the Federal Government shall have an affirmative obligation to preserve and enhance the role of English as the official language of the Federal Government. Such obligation shall include encouraging greater opportunities for individuals to learn the English language.

`Sec. 163. Official functions of Government to be conducted in English

`(a) OFFICIAL FUNCTIONS- The official functions of the Government of the United States shall be conducted in English.
`(b) SCOPE- For the purposes of this section, the term `United States' means the several States and the District of Columbia, and the term `official' refers to any function that (i) binds the Government, (ii) is required by law, or (iii) is otherwise subject to scrutiny by either the press or the public.
`(c) PRACTICAL EFFECT- This section shall apply to all laws, public proceedings, regulations, publications, orders, actions, programs, and policies, but does not apply to--

`(1) teaching of languages;
`(2) requirements under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act;
`(3) actions, documents, or policies necessary for national security, international relations, trade, tourism, or commerce;
`(4) actions or documents that protect the public health and safety;
`(5) actions or documents that facilitate the activities of the Bureau of the Census in compiling any census of population;
`(6) actions that protect the rights of victims of crimes or criminal defendants; or
`(7) using terms of art or phrases from languages other than English.

`Sec. 164. Uniform English language rule for naturalization

`(a) UNIFORM LANGUAGE TESTING STANDARD- All citizens should be able to read and understand generally the English language text of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Laws of the United States made in pursuance of the Constitution.

`(b) CEREMONIES- All naturalization ceremonies shall be conducted in English.

`Sec. 165. Rules of construction

`Nothing in this chapter shall be construed--

`(1) to prohibit a Member of Congress or any officer or agent of the Federal Government, while performing official functions, from communicating unofficially through any medium with another person in a language other than English (as long as official functions are performed in English);
`(2) to limit the preservation or use of Native Alaskan or Native American languages (as defined in the Native American Languages Act);
`(3) to disparage any language or to discourage any person from learning or using a language; or
`(4) to be inconsistent with the Constitution of the United States.

`Sec. 166. Standing

`A person injured by a violation of this chapter may in a civil action (including an action under chapter 151 of title 28) obtain appropriate relief.'
(b) CLERICAL AMENDMENT- The table of chapters at the beginning of title 4, United States Code, is amended by inserting after the item relating to chapter 5 the following new item: 'Chapter 6. Official Language.'.

SEC. 4. GENERAL RULES OF CONSTRUCTION FOR ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEXTS OF THE LAWS OF THE UNITED STATES.

(a) IN GENERAL- Chapter 1 of title 1, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following new section:

`Sec. 8. General rules of construction for laws of the United States

`(a) English language requirements and workplace policies, whether in the public or private sector, shall be presumptively consistent with the Laws of the United States; and
`(b) Any ambiguity in the English language text of the Laws of the United States shall be resolved, in accordance with the last two articles of the Bill of Rights, not to deny or disparage rights retained by the people, and to reserve powers to the States respectively, or to the people.'.
(b) CLERICAL AMENDMENT- The table of sections at the beginning of chapter 1 of title 1, United States Code, is amended by inserting after the item relating to section 7 the following new item:

`8. General Rules of Construction for Laws of the United States.'.

SEC. 5. IMPLEMENTING REGULATIONS.

The Department of Justice shall, within 180 days after the date of enactment of this Act, issue for public notice and comment a proposed rule for uniform testing English language ability of candidates for naturalization, based upon the principles that (a) all citizens should be able to read and understand generally the English language text of the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which are made in pursuance thereof, and (b) any exceptions to this standard should be limited to extraordinary circumstances, such as asylum.

SEC. 6. EFFECTIVE DATE.

The amendments made by sections 3 and 4 shall take effect on the date that is 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act.

Enough to make you sick to your stomach!

Let's get involved before we all have to learn Spanish !!!!!!!!!

This really is a disgrace, and I find it rather insulting.

English is the spoken language in the USA, if you can't use it effectively to survive here, get the hell out!

My neighbors kid is being taught spanish, and he is in the frickin 5th grade! And his school made it mandatory for all students no less.

I can't even get a cheeseburger at McDonalds anymore because these scumbags can't even understand English properly. I order a cheeseburger and get a God damn chicken fajita instead!

They do know a *little* bit of English though - welfare, section 8, collect unemployment, hubcap, mow lawn...

Move here, learn the language, practice it, learn to embrace it - or hop in a damn life boat and float back over to where you came from.

Amen, reverend ! My parents had to in the early 50's when they came here from Europe.

Am I reading this wrong?? Isnt this to declare English as the national language to make people learn to speak it??

Your not wrong ! Go to their website and check it out ! Disgusting !

Originally posted by Jackass
Am I reading this wrong?? Isnt this to declare English as the national language to make people learn to speak it??

Jackass, he was promoting the website. It's digusting that such measures need to be taken to have people speak English as a form of communication in the USA.

I have to admit that my brainwaves were on the same line with Jackass - that's a really scary thought isn't it???

That's right Jim, in Edison it is mandantory to learn Spanish in school and it starts in 1st grade on...some will say that it's great, being this is the way it's going to be spanish/english, and not how I put it, being that they are catering to the spanish more now a days anyway. Every single thing you buy now is in english/spanish - never was like that years ago! you either learned english, or you had problems. In Perth Amboy they have a school strictly for Spanish, no english speaking, lovely ha??? talk about sick! Well, they are even getting them set up for the gays now too! so nothing surprises me anymore.

I totally agree with you Jim! My father is from Mexico and my first language was Spanish until I was 7. I have grown up in a small town with the same people since I was 5. It makes me mad that the same people you grew up with still can't speak English! My dad doesn't speak English very well, but he has learned enough to get by and doesn't expect others to speak Spanish to communicate with him. He tries and that's what matters, but you have others that just refuse to learn and instead want everyone else to learn their language instead. I mean, you have heard it before but you aren't going to go live in Germany and expect the Germans to learn English to accomodate you right?? I also get frustrated by all of the commercials/sighs/posters etc. with different languages on there. It's like, if you don't understand that a freakin yellow sign skull is "danger" then your SOL!
*Zac gets her composure*...Anyway...those are just my 2 cents!:p:

Welcome to the board ladyzac and it's great to see someone that does speak spanish and feel the way you do, too bad others don't feel that way. Good post!

Thanks Janeeng!:D
Again, this is just my opinion of course but I do get really upset that there are people out there (some even relatives!) that feel like it is English-speaking people fault that they can't learn to speak the foreign language when in fact it is the other way around! I honestly don't even like this affirmative action that we have. I want to get that job because I worked my ass off for it and the best person for it and not just to fill some quota.

this is the result of that double edged sword.

Why did we stay at that mcdonalds to get that cheeseburger when the counter people can't speak english or we can't understand them?

I would have asked for the manager, told them i'm not eating here anymore because you hire people who dont speak english.

immigration policies are to blame for this in a big way as well, but is anyone in our government doing anything about it?

I grew up working in the fields up until I graduated high school. I have picked all types of fruit and vegatables imagined. The labor is monotonous and tiring, but "anyone" can do it. For me, it's taught me to go to school and get a freaking eduation because I will be damned if I ever have to do that again!:p: But also, these farmers need their crops picked and they will hire "anyone" who will do it. They don't care if they are illegal, can't speak English or whathaveyou. The majority of the people who do this type of work are Spanish speaking. They become regulars with each employer and soon start bringing over their relatives on visas and they end up staying here. They don't care about furthering their education. They have seasonal work all year round, the money is easy to make, and they have kids to get money from our government. I know people in my home town who have done this. It's disappointing for me because I am out here trying to set good examples and all I get is them telling me that I have sold out or some stupid shit like that! You just can't win.:(

Originally posted by ladyzac
You just can't win.:(
Yes you can. By getting your education and following your dreams you will win something. It's called pride, self-respect and independence. You may even win a few followers. I can't believe that the people who see you in the community will fail to see someone reaching a goal.

On the topic itself: People who don't speak english are certainly welcome here. And obviously, those people that are poor will alway have the more routine and mundane jobs- it's the hope of getting a better life that's supposed to get you through those times. However, by allowing people to "just get by" this society has all but taken away the need and the incentive for people to do better. Face it, the money spent making government documents, voice mails and atm machines, etc. available in a multitude of languages, could have been spent on other things. Why are we allowing the minority to steal the money from our coffers for their own self interest?

I have no problem with English being the official language of the United States. I took three years of Spanish in high school. You may not know, but in just about every other developed country in the world, and some that are developing (i.e. India) foreign language is an absolute requirement in school, and many choose to take English. In India being able to speak English is a sign of culture and class. English is also the official language of business the world over. However, that doesn't mean we shouldn't make an effort to explore other languages. If you want to truly be able to participate in the American democracy, you do need to at least learn basic English. I don't know that the need arises for a bill that declares English the "official language" though.

Now isnt this just fuckin ducky....!!
You know my brother in law is a biker and he has a nice patch he wears... "Speak English Or Get The FUCK OUT"
I dont have a problem with any other race out there that wants to immigrate here. Thats what Americas for. BUT.... where the problem lays, is like Jim stated... non-english speaking people holding public jobs (food service, department stores etc). then they want to look at me like im the stupid one when i cant understand them. its not my job to understand them, its thier job to learn english so i can understand them. i dont need to hear about the opression(sp?) they left and how i should feel sorry for them (yes i did get this at one of dollar stores here in good old clinton ia). I could care less about that.

Forum List

Back