Want marriage? Then get the government out.

ShackledNation

Libertarian
Jun 16, 2011
California
I am of the persuasion that the approach gay activists have been taking is grossly wrong. Marriage is really just an agreement (or contract, promise, covenant; call it what you please) between two consenting adults. All individuals have the inherent right to form contractual agreements with each other.

So marriage is a right, right? Wrong. In American society, marriage is a government granted privilege. You can't get married unless the government gives you the OK. Government has taken away the right of marriage from all of us and replaced it with a privilege that it has the sole power to hand out and regulate.

Rather than call for expanding the privilege by making gay marriage legal, proponents of gay marriage (or those dislike gay marriage but still say it should be legal) should be demanding that government get out of marriage altogether. Marriage is a type of contract that has been perverted into a privilege. If you want the right to marry, repeal that perversion.

Furthermore, who needs to be convinced that gay marriage should be allowed? Social conservatives who often are in favor of smaller government everywhere else, that's who. Making the argument that marriage should be returned to the private sector and government should be reduced would probably be more persuasive than demanding that government further expand its granted privileges. The approach taken is another sad example of current societal tendencies to turn to government for answers rather than the free market.

That's my two cents.

Last edited:
I am of the persuasion that the approach gay activists have been taking is grossly wrong. Marriage is really just an agreement (or contract, promise, covenant; call it what you please) between two consenting adults. All individuals have the inherent right to form contractual agreements with each other.

So marriage is a right, right? Wrong. In American society, marriage is a government granted privilege. You can't get married unless the government gives you the OK. Government has taken away the right of marriage from all of us and replaced it with a privilege that it has the sole power to hand out and regulate.

Rather than expanding the privilege by making gay marriage legal, proponents of gay marriage (or those dislike gay marriage but still say it should be legal) should be demanding that government get out of marriage altogether. Marriage is a type of contract that has been perverted into a privilege. If you want the right to marry, repeal that perversion.

Who needs to be convinced that gay marriage should be allowed? Social conservatives who often are in favor of smaller government everywhere else. Making the argument that marriage should be returned to the private sector and government should be reduced would probably speak to them more than demanding that government further expand its privileges. Would it not?

That's my two cents.

It is a right...per at least two Supreme Court decisions...a fundamental right.

Rather than expanding the privilege by making gay marriage legal, proponents of gay marriage (or those dislike gay marriage but still say it should be legal) should be demanding that government get out of marriage altogether. Marriage is a type of contract that has been perverted into a privilege. If you want the right to marry, repeal that perversion.

Who needs to be convinced that gay marriage should be allowed? Social conservatives who often are in favor of smaller government everywhere else. Making the argument that marriage should be returned to the private sector and government should be reduced would probably speak to them more than demanding that government further expand its privileges. Would it not?

That's my two cents.

It should be a right because it is a private contractual agreement. But government has turned it into a privilege. Government does not grant rights, it grants privileges. Marriage licenses are granted by government. I get the feeling you did not read the whole post.

You are certainly right about marriage being a privilege, and not over look other laws such as age, incestuous marriages, polygamy, etc.

Marriage is really two parts, religion, and government (Spirit & Law). One could argue this violates the idea of separation of church & state.

The government is not currently involved in homosexual relationships outside the States that have approved "gay marriage" or Civil Unions.

This whole movement is to force us to have government regulate homosexual relationships. Personally, I don't know why anyone would want the government to have more control over their lives than it already does.

That's my two cents.

Marriage is a Right According to the Supreme Court for a Specific Reason...

"Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival."

LOVING V. VIRGINIA, 388 U. S. 1 :: Volume 388 :: 1967 :: Full Text :: US Supreme Court Cases from Justia & Oyez

Loving was about Race... A Black and a White CAN Create Life...

Denying them Marriage Defies our very Existence and Survival as a Species.

Homosexuals can NOT Marry the Flesh and can NOT Procreate with each other.

That is why Civil Unions for other than is the Answer for your Legal/Medical Issues.

:)

peace...

The primary purpose for marriage is legal in nature.

It's a binding contract.

Getting married has legal implications.

Marriage is about Protecting Family, and Specifically the Children that are Naturally a Product of it...

Marriage can only Honestly be when it is with the Coupling of those who have the Possibility of Illustrating it Naturally.

Doesn't mean Procreation is a Requirement, nor should Heteorsexuals have to Prove they can, but the Possibility only lies with Heterosexuals and it has an Impact on Society at Large.

Homosexuals only want Marriage as a way of finding Validation for their Choice where one does not Exist Naturally for them.

They want Society's Approval... In just about ALL the things they do.

Now they are Pushing for Educating Elementary Children in California on their Contributions to Society...

Calif. Bill: Public Schools Must Teach Gay History in Social Studies

Why do Children need to be Shown that someone is a Homosexual as Opposed to that they have Contributed to Society just because?...

Someone's Homosexuality is Irrelevant to a 3rd Grader, so why do they Insist on Pushing their Choice to Younger and Younger Children?...

But I Digress...

peace...

You seriously don't know the difference between a right and a privilege? Explains a lot. All marriage is a privilege. We have a right to marriage, my God.

You have the right to remain silent. The right to a court-appointed attorney. You have the right to sing the blues. You have the right to cable TV. You have the right to sublet. You have the right to paint the walls. No loud colors

Homosexuals only want Marriage as a way of finding Validation for their Choice where one does not Exist Naturally for them.
If you aren't gay, you really can't speak to why we want marriage. I can certainly tell you why, however. We want to get married for the same reasons ANYONE wants to get married.

Nah, I really don't give two shits if you "approve" of me as long as the laws of our country treat us equally.

Now they are Pushing for Educating Elementary Children in California on their Contributions to Society...

Why do Children need to be Shown that someone is a Homosexual as Opposed to that they have Contributed to Society just because?...

Someone's Homosexuality is Irrelevant to a 3rd Grader, so why do they Insist on Pushing their Choice to Younger and Younger Children?...

But I Digress...

peace...

Are you aware that there is already CA state law that says schools must teach the contribution of women and minority groups? This is just adding one more, often ignored, minority group. Do you object about the contributions of other minority groups having to be taught or just this one?

Yep lets do away with all govt regulations concerning marriage. Tax deductions, regulations on insurance coverage, divorce, inheritance, laws on infidelity, medical care desicion rights, etc.

Last edited:
Whether it is a right or privledge, marriage has to be applied equally to all citizens as per the 14th Amendment

You seriously don't know the difference between a right and a privilege? Explains a lot. All marriage is a privilege. We have a right to marriage, my God.

No, apparently YOU don't...

In Zablocki v Redhail (1978), the Court struck down a Wisconsin law that required persons under obligations to pay support for the children of previous relationships to obtain permission of a court to marry. The statute required such individuals to prove that they were in compliance with support orders and that marriage would not threaten the financial security of their previous offspring. The Court reasoned that marriage was "a fundamental right" triggering "rigorous scutiny" of Wisconsin's justifications under the Equal Protection Clause.

The Right to Marry

If you aren't gay, you really can't speak to why we want marriage. I can certainly tell you why, however. We want to get married for the same reasons ANYONE wants to get married.

Nah, I really don't give two shits if you "approve" of me as long as the laws of our country treat us equally.

But I Digress...

peace...

Are you aware that there is already CA state law that says schools must teach the contribution of women and minority groups? This is just adding one more, often ignored, minority group. Do you object about the contributions of other minority groups having to be taught or just this one?

Heterosexuality and Homosexuality are Inherently NOT Equal.

Homosexuals Defy their Heterosexual Physical Design by Nature, which they are FREE to do...

Where the Line is is when you Expect the other 95% of Society to Embrace it as something it's Not... Equal.

Have a Civil Union and Smile... Feel lucky Islam isn't the Law here. :thup:

peace...

No, apparently YOU don't...

In Zablocki v Redhail (1978), the Court struck down a Wisconsin law that required persons under obligations to pay support for the children of previous relationships to obtain permission of a court to marry. The statute required such individuals to prove that they were in compliance with support orders and that marriage would not threaten the financial security of their previous offspring. The Court reasoned that marriage was "a fundamental right" triggering "rigorous scutiny" of Wisconsin's justifications under the Equal Protection Clause.

The Right to Marry

It is Fundemental... For Non-Related Men and Woman...

It's Inherent in our Design.

If it's simply a Right that Everyone has, then Siblings have the same Right...

Because it's NOT about Procreation, Correct?...

Good, you are for Incest being Equal in Law in Marriage.

Got that Established.

peace...

It should be a right because it is a private contractual agreement. But government has turned it into a privilege. Government does not grant rights, it grants privileges. Marriage licenses are granted by government. I get the feeling you did not read the whole post.

If government doesn't grant rights, then where do they come from? Absent a government and if I'm stronger than you, your only right is to sit meekly by while I eat YOUR kill, leaving you the scraps, if there are any.

The government has to get involved in marriage, because like all contracts there are legal issues to be decided. Without government the stronger always wins.

[/COLOR]

But I Digress...

peace...

Homosexuals Defy their Heterosexual Physical Design by Nature, which they are FREE to do...

Where the Line is is when you Expect the other 95% of Society to Embrace it as something it's Not... Equal.

peace...

You are not required to accept or embrace, only tolerate. Homosexuality is found in hundreds of animal species (i.e. in "nature") so how do you defy nature with something found in nature?

You fundies make no sense...which is why your anti-gay rhetoric is losing in the world of public opinion...

[/COLOR]

peace...

You are not required to accept or embrace, only tolerate. Homosexuality is found in hundreds of animal species (i.e. in "nature") so how do you defy nature with something found in nature?

You fundies make no sense...which is why your anti-gay rhetoric is losing in the world of public opinion...

No species is homosexual. If they were, they would have died out a long time ago.
There might be mutant individuals within a species that somehow acquired a perverse instinct towards unnatural inclinations. But that does not mean anything for the species as a whole.

No one is required to tolerate homosexuality. Any more than anyone is required to tolerate statutory rape or shoplifting.

Homosexuals have every right to marry, just like heterosexuals. They are denied nothing, except societal recognition that their perverse "lifestyle" is normal. And that's what this is really all about.

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
If it's simply a Right that Everyone has, then Siblings have the same Right...

If you southern fundies want to marry your siblings, you'll simply have to take your case to court. If no compelling state reason can be found to prevent you from marrying your sister, then you and she can run off to Vegas.

Forum List

Back