Wanna vote early & often legally? - help me get more votes out

marmor

Rookie
Oct 23, 2008
I am in Texas and have been looking for a nationwide board like this to get a good idea out there to get more votes for McCain/Palin. I saw that thousands of Obama supporters marched to the polls this week to open early voting. My idea might combat that but it will be up to everyone to play a part in it. PLLEEZZEE take the time to read this and help. Take action, dangit!

2-3 weeks ago, I heard that Obama had "opened up a double-digit lead". A thought seemed to burst into my head - where are all the WWII veterans? I just happened to be passing by a new nursing home, and, you guessed it, it hit me they were in there! I inquired as to how their residents were voting. The Activities Director instantly told me he needed volunteers to help them do just that. I posted this on a local board and asked 4 people to join me, thinking I might get one. Well, all of'em couldn't wait to actually do something to stop the way things "appear" to be headed. Get out from your computer! Those Obama people on the board won't listen anyway:)

In the next week, we are supposed to go to a few homes! I wish we could do more. Guys, it's like you're voting 10-20 times! And legally!! It's votes that normally wouldn't get out there. And they're mostly going to be conservative. And guess what, the polls are NOT counting people in nursing homes! Please call as many nursing homes in your area and get their votes out there, especially if you're in the swing states. All we hear about is the youth vote and the minority vote, as if that's all there is.

OK, OK, if you don't have time to do this. I also called several people and had them call their whole family, especially the elderly ones. Out of 4 calls, I found 10 Republicans that just were NOT going to vote! Either because they didn't like either one or the polls said BO was going to win so why bother. Aargh! They have since called us back and told us they were going.

SO, try the nursing homes but at least make all the calls you can to family and friends. Let them know it's too crucial this time not to vote for someone. Vote against! That's the tack I'm taking. Then the most important part - contact all the elderly members of your family, grandfather, aunt's parents, Veterans, for God's sake, etc. and make sure they have a way to get to the polls or absentee vote.
Please let me know what you think about this and do it ! It looks like it's working for us down here.
Listen, I've never done anything politically, I have never been motivated in this way in my life so help me do this. Remember, you want to vote early and often? - you will be! Legally!

I posted this late last night and was interested in the reception it would get. I see that it is way down the list w/o any responses so I am wondering why.

Is it not that good of an idea or was my presentation too rah-rah?

I really do hope some of you will give me some feedback on it. It really does seem like a good way to get some votes that otherwise would not be out there and I have gotten some results here in my area from it. It "appears" (not used lightly because of the polls) that we need all the votes we can get.

Any suggestions/comments, anyone?

what if one of these elderly WWII vets said they were voting Obama? would you still take them to the polls?

The problem I see with this idea is that sadly many of these WWII vets are in stages of mental decline due to their age and are easily manipulated (by both sides) and IMO it's like stealing votes not making their intentions and voices count.

If someone is of clear mind and intent they should vote but for you to word it the way you did (it's like voting 10-20 times and it's legal) is very telling. It strikes me as attempting to manipulate these brave men into voting that way YOU want them to.

That's sad if that's your intention.

Silence,
No, please understand, that is completely not my intention at all. My intention in wording it that way is to get action from people and to motivate them to do this. I realize it's not real exciting to most people. Yes, I am for McCain/Palin but in no way would we try to sway anybody's vote. I am betting the elderly are mostly conservative but you're right, there will be some for Obama and we will gladly help them also. All the peolple helping me are not Republicans. (We're not transporting anyone. I don't even want that liability!)
I have talked to 15-20 nursing homes and there is usually an Activities Director who will oversee the voting and we would only assist him. The AD and the resident's family makes the joint decision whether the person is capable of voting and probably the doctor if it comes to that. We also have to have a background check done that doesn't take long.

As far as the multiple voting phrase, again I'm just trying to motivate. I use that not only abt the homes but people calling their family. Like I said, in 3-4 calls I found 10 people that weren't voting. Now some of them are and I had a part in getting that vote!

You are sadly correct about the vets. That is also why I am asking everyone to ensure their family's elderly, vet or not, can vote.

Basically, it's like the Dems pursuing African-American neighborhoods to get their vote.
So please, anyone interested, pick up the phone today and call one nursing home or one relative and make sure they're voting.

I'm glad to hear you're not attempting to use this as an opportunity to manipulate people into voting your way.

I agree, that it's important to assist these citizens in voting. I wish more people took an interest in the elderly year round, not just when they want their vote.

I've worked in nursing homes, volunteering, and these people are so amazing and can share so much history with us. We could benefit greatly from their knowledge.

The left will stoop to any low level they can for votes and to prevent votes, What is telling is the fact Silence wants you to not take them to the polls at all.

All I have is a small car. One person could ride with me and thats it.

The left will stoop to any low level they can for votes and to prevent votes, What is telling is the fact Silence wants you to not take them to the polls at all.

What is it living in your own little world? Fuck you and your statement that the left steals votes. Silence made a reasoned response you made your usual diatribe and lie about what she said. You totally twisted what she said. Fucking liar.

Jeb Bush 95,000 felons on a list in 2000. Flawed and faulty to the extreme. Not fucking election fraud there. Your side just does it in bigger numbers retired.

Once an anal sphincter, always an anal sphincter.

I agree, that it's important to assist these citizens in voting. I wish more people took an interest in the elderly year round, not just when they want their vote.

I've worked in nursing homes, volunteering, and these people are so amazing and can share so much history with us. We could benefit greatly from their knowledge.

Read what is written not what you want to see.

As someone who used to work this field most of the WWII vets that are in some sort of home have experienced mental decline. Also quite a bit will have guardians that you would have to approve this if they don't have something like demensia. If you really want to do this contact a nursing home and set it up a week a head of time so they can get the proper approval for the people who can make the decsion for themselves, because otherwise they have law protecting them and you could get in trouble.
And really if you want to do something worth while volunteer at one of these homes, most of these vets just want someone to talk to. The ones who have demensia spend a quite a bit of time talking about the war and I bet RetiredGySgt you would enjoy hearing their stories!
I had one guy tell me all about landing in Normandie a few days after DDAY and he hated Dewey! I would sit with them all the time and talk to him. This is more important then getting them to vote!

Luissa,
I have done exactly all of that! (I realize both my posts were long ones) We do have an appt. next week with a home that has just opened in the last few months. The AD is overwhelmed so he welcomed my call. And, yes, he is in the process of calling all the guardians and deciding who is capable of voting. This is literally an idea that hit me before I drove past the home and then I looked over and saw it and bam, it was like, I have to do this! So I am following any process that needs to be done according to the ADs. It is up the street from us. My wife and I call it our "future house".

To you and others, my father has a Purple Heart from being wounded in Cologne, France. He landed at Normandy as a reinforcement. Sadly, he is no longer here to talk to and we never did, he died when I was young. But, I have 3 uncles that fought in WWII and that is probably why I'm doing this. You're right, it's amazing to sit there and talk to them, especially the one that was quartermaster on the Bon Homme Richard carrier. He tells us about seeing the clouds from the atomic bomb drifting off on the horizon. He was 100 miles off Japan! He tells what it was like when thousands(?) of GIs on a carrier saw this and slowly the cheering starts and soon they are all cheering that it's over (they thought, right?) Another was on Guam and the other in Korea later. I keep saying I'm going to get them all together and record it.

Now, please call all your family, friends, elders, and get them out there!:)

What is it living in your own little world? Fuck you and your statement that the left steals votes. Silence made a reasoned response you made your usual diatribe and lie about what she said. You totally twisted what she said. Fucking liar.

Jeb Bush 95,000 felons on a list in 2000. Flawed and faulty to the extreme. Not fucking election fraud there. Your side just does it in bigger numbers retired.

Once an anal sphincter, always an anal sphincter.

Once a retard always a retard, ehh Col Mustard?

That doesn't matter. That would still be one vote that would not have happened otherwise!
And, as I said earlier, no one wants us transporting them at the nursing homes. They say we don't want that liablility.

But you could still take a friend or family member who otherwise couldn't get there.

Luissa,
I have done exactly all of that! (I realize both my posts were long ones) We do have an appt. next week with a home that has just opened in the last few months. The AD is overwhelmed so he welcomed my call. And, yes, he is in the process of calling all the guardians and deciding who is capable of voting. This is literally an idea that hit me before I drove past the home and then I looked over and saw it and bam, it was like, I have to do this! So I am following any process that needs to be done according to the ADs. It is up the street from us. My wife and I call it our "future house".

To you and others, my father has a Purple Heart from being wounded in Cologne, France. He landed at Normandy as a reinforcement. Sadly, he is no longer here to talk to and we never did, he died when I was young. But, I have 3 uncles that fought in WWII and that is probably why I'm doing this. You're right, it's amazing to sit there and talk to them, especially the one that was quartermaster on the Bon Homme Richard carrier. He tells us about seeing the clouds from the atomic bomb drifting off on the horizon. He was 100 miles off Japan! He tells what it was like when thousands(?) of GIs on a carrier saw this and slowly the cheering starts and soon they are all cheering that it's over (they thought, right?) Another was on Guam and the other in Korea later. I keep saying I'm going to get them all together and record it.

Now, please call all your family, friends, elders, and get them out there!:)
Well then good for you! And your uncle was probably with my uncle, he was in near the end with the Navy and their island hopping at the end. He talked about what your uncle did. I also took care of a guy who flew with the guy(i wish I could remember his name) who killed the most Japanese fighter pilots in WWII , you might know who I am talking about. He also reenlisted in Vietnam and was part of search and rescue. I worked at a memory care site and all the men that were there fought in WWII or Korea or both. The sad part is some were stuck in this time period. One funny story this one guy every night when you would put him to bed would think you were a hooker and would say he didn't have any money on him.
And to get my family to vote luckly in my state we have mail in ballots so my Grandma who actually used to work at voting sites is able to easily vote.

AND FOR THE REST OF YOU! One good organization to donate to is the Alzheimer Association, if we don't find a cure for alzheimer and other forms of demensia we all have a chance of devoloping this disease along with our parents and other family memebers!

Forum List

Back