Wanna bet these aren't atheists??

Why do you have these crazy rules in your religion? Rhythmic music is joyful music and we are told repeatedly to "make a joyful noise unto the Lord".

Non-rhythmic music is cacophony, which is not joyful.

Drinking is something from God as well, because it states in the Bible that "wine was a gift from God to gladden the hearts of men." Matter of fact, one of the first things Noah did when he hit dry land was to plant grapes so that he could make wine.

So, with those Biblical references, why does your church ban them?

They aren't BANNED. They aren't considered quite the thing.

And it's all biblical. The bible says some pretty harsh things about dancing and certain types of music....I'm thinking in connection with the Golden Calf and in a couple of other places (the story of Lot, Sodom & Gomorrah?). We're very, very musical...singing and playing instruments is near and dear to our hearts and I've never seen an Independent Baptist Church that wasn't heavy on music and singing. It's a big part of the service. But you won't see bass guitars or drums. It's because humans respond sexually to heavy rhythm, which is something we don't really want to encourage, particularly in CHURCH, lol.

Don't think the music doesn't have cadence and rhythm, it certainly does...think of the old hymms and bluegrass. But when we talk about rhythmical music we're thinking bass instruments and/or drums.

Drinking also isn't "banned" but it should be moderate or medicinal (you can use the term medicinal pretty broadly, btw).
However, we don't do bars, and in this particular church (this wasn't in the constitution of my previous church) we are expected not to sell liquor or frequent places that sell it (bars). We have no bartenders in my church, or liquor store owners, or bar owners.

Dancing, in the privacy of our homes with our spouses. There's nothing wrong with that, I don't think. I'll probably hold my kids to it until they're out of high school....primarily because I really don't want them to get that close to anyone who would be at any of these school dances. Thank you, First Baptist!

We're also supposed to be subdued, avoid expletives, and behave in a manner which sets an example.
This is something I work on. I get carried away when I'm on here, and I swear in private. I try to avoid doing it in public, but I speak a lot and sometimes it happens.

BUT I'M WORKING ON IT!!!

Dancing in private with your spouse and family only.

God had no problem with David dancing :eusa_eh:

No drinking though biblically speaking we can partake, generally we don't.
If it was good enough for jesus

Also no rhythmic music.
Didn't they use cymbals in the temple? Are you saying the Jews were all White and had no rhythm?

David told the leaders of the Levites to appoint their brothers as singers to sing joyful songs, accompanied by musical instruments: lyres, harps and cymbals.
1 Chronicles 15:16

Does it say God was displeased?

They aren't BANNED. They aren't considered quite the thing.

And it's all biblical. The bible says some pretty harsh things about dancing and certain types of music....I'm thinking in connection with the Golden Calf and in a couple of other places (the story of Lot, Sodom & Gomorrah?). We're very, very musical...singing and playing instruments is near and dear to our hearts and I've never seen an Independent Baptist Church that wasn't heavy on music and singing. It's a big part of the service.

You play instruments with no rhythm?

ῥυθμός – rhythmos, "any measured flow or movement, symmetry"

SO all you make is cacophonous noise, then?

You take 'a joyful noise' way too literally.

But you won't see bass guitars or drums. It's because humans respond sexually to heavy rhythm, which is something we don't really want to encourage, particularly in CHURCH, lol.

Has it occurred to you that you might just be a horny bitch? People respond to war drums in a manner that's very not 'let's make love'
Don't think the music doesn't have cadence and rhythm

You just said you don't have rhythm. Several times.

I really don't want them to get that close to anyone who would be at any of these school dances.

Yes... because having friends who attend public events to socialize and be part of the community would be a horrible thing...

I think the theory is that it stimulates very strong emotion/feeling. And it does.

Strong feelings for God are encouraged.
Everything else is supposed to be secondary.

You have to admit that a strong bass/drum will bring about a physical reaction. I never thought about it until I heard our pastor talk about it during a sermon.

Islam is NOT a religion of peace.

See, this is the deal. I don't mind admitting that there is potential for wackdom in all political/religious groups.

But I don't understand the mind-set that makes people insist, DESPITE the overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that ALL GROUPS ARE EQUALLY PACIFISTIC AND/OR EQUALLY VIOLENT.

Some groups ARE innately violent and lend themselves to violent behavior and jihad. Hmmm...let me think.....

Some groups DO disdain the American people and embrace marxism....why not just admit it? Instead of telling people that what they see and hear with their own eyes and ears isn't really happening? Do you really think everyone else is that stupid?

Hold on a second........what about Fred Phelps and his Westboro Baptist Church? What about that other douche who claimed that it was the gays that were causing all the problems here in America? What about the hatred of the gays from the Christian right? Some of those "good Christians" want to imprison or kill all people who aren't hetero.

Try again Always A Babbling Bitch.

These crazies may call themselves Christians but are not following the teachings of Jesus Christ when these commit these vile acts. I realize it makes the non believers feel like they have power over Christians when they bash and belittle our beliefs, which is exactly what is happening when the this type of labeling goes on. Christians know what their beliefs are and how they are supposed to live their lives so when wrong labels are attached to the wrong groups, it matters not to us. There is only 1 opinion that matters to Christians and no matter how much insulting garbage is thrown at us, it has no effect to the true believers. We don't answer to the silly name calling and false comparisons.

I know how most Muslims must feel, from just reading this paragraph. It makes sense to me for sure.

You have to admit that a strong bass/drum will bring about a physical reaction. I never thought about it until I heard our pastor talk about it during a sermon.

But did you realise you had physical reactions to strong bass/drum music before you heard your pastor talk about it?

So does trebel. Ever heard Cascada or post-baby Madonna?

I already posted biblical verses where instruments were used to help express/fuel the feelings of joy and uplifting in the celebrations of God. Methinks it'd be Satan who would oppose such use of instruments or condemn appropriate forms of public dance (as I said, God had no problem with David dancing in public... in the nude, if I recall)

So does cantering on a horse. Better stop doing that.

Forum List

Back