Walmart Warns It Will Be Forced To Raise Prices Due To Trade War

Large corporations like WalMart have been driving the trade imbalances with China, which promotes their own profits, but hurt American workers.

Walmart gives people what they want. You statist need to quit telling people what to buy

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

Yeah at the cost of their jobs being shipped over seas , low wages...

Why does the left shop against their own self interest????

I don't know, why do you on the left do that?

Personally I shop for what I want when I want it.

As always, many more people will be hurt by protectionist tariffs than are helped by them.

Trump is a retard, and he has a retard economic adviser.

Pence's state of Indiana is going to be hammered by the tariffs. So he's fucked.

Who will pay for Trumps trade war?

The consumers and American industries selling abroad

Wal-Mart was raising prices even before the tariffs. I know people buy the cheap slave labor goods over American, but paradoxically, I also believe they will support an increase for American workers if it is policy. For those screaming protectionism, I don't think it is much of an argument to support countries with no human rights. Who are you supporting, and who are you hurting?

'One of the reasons why the US economic response to Trump's trade war with China had been lukewarm at best, is that US consumers had not been subject to any of the inflationary consequences of the escalating tariffs between Washington and Beijing. That, however, is about to change: overnight Walmart issued a warning in a letter to U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer that it may have to raise prices due to tariffs on Chinese imports, CNN Money reported.

"The immediate impact will be to raise prices on consumers and tax American business and manufacturers," Walmart said, according to the CNN Money report.

The letter came two weeks after Walmart asked the Trump administration to walk back its plan to put tariffs on Christmas lights, shampoo, dog food, luggage, mattresses, handbags, backpacks, vacuum cleaners, bicycles, cooking grills, cable cords and air conditioners.

However, the administration was unmoved and on Monday, it pressed forward with 10% tariffs on those products and $200 billion worth of other imports from China. The tariffs, which take effect next week, will jump to 25% at the end of the year, and target far more consumer goods - some $78BN according to DB calculations - than the first phase of $50BN in tariffs, that had relatively little impact.'

DB%20china%20imports.jpg

'As a reminder, washing machines were an early example of how tariffs filter down to shoppers. The Trump administration imposed a 20% trade penalty on washers earlier this year, and laundry equipment prices spiked over 16% in recent months.'

washing%20machines.jpg

Walmart Warns It Will Be Forced To Raise Prices Due To Trade War

Anyone who says large tariffs will not hurt American consumers is flat out dreaming.

So tariffs raise the price of products because businesses have to pay more yet a 15 dollar min wage wouldnt?

Dems are a walking talking contradiction.

It seems many think that free trade means there can be no American manufacturing. How weird is it for people to argue passionately against things being built in America?

Well, at least Trump gave everyone tax cuts so they can afford to shop at WalMart, where they are increasing their prices because of Trump's tariffs.

New Topics

Forum List

Back