Walmart on Welfare: We support their employees so they don't have to.

Walmart hires people who are uneducated, who have no skills, who have no work history. They provide them with work, they give them consistent hours in line with what they want to work, they teach them skills, they allow them to advance...and they provided insurance even before they had to (which also pissed off liberals).

Liberals squawk about Walmart the same way the abortion freaks squawk about the GOP's proposal to make birth control available to all over the counter. They want to control who works, where they work, and they don't want them to advance at all. Poor people should stay poor, dependent, and pregnant...in order to feed the welfare and abortion machines, and to fully staff the human trafficking and sex industry trades.

Walmart is competition.

Better to be a jobless moocher then work for "slave" wages....

Workers of the world unite!
People Before profits!

Whatever communist rallying cry floats your boat....

But it is the truth. Things have gotten very bad for American Workers. And it's gonna get much worse now that this President and his Party have opened the Border floodgates. Wages will continue to drop. The sad reality is, more & more Citizens do need the Government Entitlements. Corporations like Walmart refuse to pay a decent wage because they know the Taxpayers will always pick up the tab.

That's why i always tell my Conservative friends, don't be so quick to defend or cheer for low wages. Because it's you the Taxpayer who'll be picking up the tab in the end. We want our Workers to be happy and prosperous. It's a good thing for everyone.

Amazing that some aren't smart enough to see that more pay for workers = less people on welfare.

Many who call themselves 'Conservative' have been conditioned to respond with a knee-jerk defense of Corporations like Walmart. They don't think about the harm a company like Walmart has done. They just need to start defending American Workers with the same ferocity they defend Corporations. Having more happy prosperous Workers, is a good thing for all of us.

many of them also don't seem to care that they are running people off left and right. Hard to get anything you want when everyone hates your guts.

I'm not sure about this. I've seen more and more people, especially young people, respond quite positively to leaders who make a consistent, principled argument and refused to hedge and equivocate. They're really tired of all the 'symbolic' pandering that adds up to nothing anyway.

True, but you have to be offering SOMETHING these people want. I mean I'm a reasonable person, I accept that NO candidate is going to fit my ideas perfectly, but when side doesn't even TRY to accommodate I'm looking elsewhere.

I can't think of a single instance here in the last 2 years where "conservatives" have got behind ANYTHING that would help the "little guy", so why should the little guy care about conservatives?

People Before profits!

But it is the truth. Things have gotten very bad for American Workers. And it's gonna get much worse now that this President and his Party have opened the Border floodgates. Wages will continue to drop. The sad reality is, more & more Citizens do need the Government Entitlements. Corporations like Walmart refuse to pay a decent wage because they know the Taxpayers will always pick up the tab.

That's why i always tell my Conservative friends, don't be so quick to defend or cheer for low wages. Because it's you the Taxpayer who'll be picking up the tab in the end. We want our Workers to be happy and prosperous. It's a good thing for everyone.

Amazing that some aren't smart enough to see that more pay for workers = less people on welfare.

Many who call themselves 'Conservative' have been conditioned to respond with a knee-jerk defense of Corporations like Walmart. They don't think about the harm a company like Walmart has done. They just need to start defending American Workers with the same ferocity they defend Corporations. Having more happy prosperous Workers, is a good thing for all of us.

many of them also don't seem to care that they are running people off left and right. Hard to get anything you want when everyone hates your guts.

I'm not sure about this. I've seen more and more people, especially young people, respond quite positively to leaders who make a consistent, principled argument and refused to hedge and equivocate. They're really tired of all the 'symbolic' pandering that adds up to nothing anyway.

True, but you have to be offering SOMETHING these people want. I mean I'm a reasonable person, I accept that NO candidate is going to fit my ideas perfectly, but when side doesn't even TRY to accommodate I'm looking elsewhere.

I can't think of a single instance here in the last 2 years where "conservatives" have got behind ANYTHING that would help the "little guy", so why should the little guy care about conservatives?

I don't think they should. That would simply be playing the same game as the Democrats, and frankly, they're better at it. Instead of offering 'free stuff' to the 'little guy', to make up for all the 'free stuff' that big business enjoys, they need to come down hard on getting rid of the perks for everyone. They need to push for serious tax reform that cuts all the loopholes and provides an honest accounting of tax revenue. This would call the Democrats bluff and put them in the awkward position of defending all their corporate sponsors and byzantine tax code. That would have real populist appeal and come off as far more meaningful than adding a couple of bucks to minimum wage.

People Before profits!

I don't think they should. That would simply be playing the same game as the Democrats, and frankly, they're better at it. Instead of offering 'free stuff' to the 'little guy', to make up for all the 'free stuff' that big business enjoys, they need to come down hard on getting rid of the perks for everyone. They need to push for serious tax reform that cuts all the loopholes and provides an honest accounting of tax revenue. This would call the Democrats bluff and put them in the awkward position of defending all their corporate sponsors and byzantine tax code. That would have real populist appeal and come off as far more meaningful than adding a couple of bucks to minimum wage.

I'm not talking about "freebies" , I think there is a substantial number of people out there who vote Democrat even though they abhor the idea of the government paying so much
out in welfare.

There are so many other issues out there though, where frankly the Republicans just come across as a bunch of assholes.

Gay marriage - drop this one, what the fuck does it matter who says they are married to whom?

The minimum wage - Come on, even a 5th grader can tell that the minimum wage is a just law and needs to be adjusted to fit the realities of inflation.

Abortion - Da Fuq? Do you understand that you are NEVER going to convince these people that abortion is murder? Just come up with a reasonable compromise as to where abortions are illegal and be done with it.

The ACA - This is done, it's the law, so instead of screaming about repealing it, let's work on fixing it to where it works RIGHT. The debate about whether it is legal or not it is over.

Legalizing marijuana - How anyone who is for "small government" can support keeping a PLANT illegal is beyond me.

Asylum - We're not deporting an estimated 12M people from this country, it is NOT going to happen, so maybe, just maybe we can have a Republican acknowledge that and fight for closing the border then making those who are here now legal.

That's just for starters, 6 areas where Republicans look like assholes , rather than people who actually want to improve this country.

and just to head people off at the pass, I could OF COURSE easily come up with 6 loony things the left supports that they shouldn't be, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that given the choice between asshole and loon most Americans are going to vote loon every time. That is PROVEN by the fact that Nancy Pelosi is on office.

I don't think there is one person who is against a full time worker receiving gov't assistance because they make low wages. Its those that don't work and don't attempt to work that irritate those that see this issue as a huge problem. I support gov't assistance for adults who work full time but make low wages. Anyone with half a brain would.

I don't think there is one person who is against a full time worker receiving gov't assistance because they make low wages. Its those that don't work and don't attempt to work that irritate those that see this issue as a huge problem. I support gov't assistance for adults who work full time but make low wages. Anyone with half a brain would.

Paying a living wage makes much more sense. I don't mind paying a little more for my groceries and assorted Chinese goods so Walmart employees can have a decent/respectable quality of life. It's really sad when I see a clerk suffering from a toothache because they can't afford to miss work or go to a dentist. We should all be sad.

Also, not everyone shops at Walmart, but since taxpayers are subsidizing them - they all have to pay.

Will taxpayers also have to start subsidizing Walmart workers' clothes? When will it end?

Walmart Workers Complain They Can't Afford New Dress Code

I'm pretty sure Walmart doesn't give a shite. That's their track record. They're definitely not worthy of all the defending and worshipping. My Conservative friends should be ashamed of themselves. Help the working man out for a change. Just a friendly suggestion anyway.

Paying a living wage makes much more sense. I don't mind paying a little more for my groceries and assorted Chinese goods so Walmart employees can have a decent/respectable quality of life. It's really sad when I see a clerk suffering from a toothache because they can't afford to miss work or go to a dentist. We should all be sad.

Also, not everyone shops at Walmart, but since taxpayers are subsidizing them - they all have to pay.

Spot On. That's my feeling. I don't mind paying more. I'd rather see American Workers happy & prosperous. That's good for all of us in the end. A happy prosperous Worker = A much better Worker.

On the contrary, large companies love this shit. It makes it even harder for the mom and pop stores to compete.

Does it? What I mean is, are mom and pop's already not paying such?

Also , I've got a gut feeling that people who work at chains use a lot more sick days than people who work at mom and pops

Most small start ups can't afford much in the way of benefits, including unpaid leave. In general, anything that increases overhead hits small firms harder than large ones, who have more operating capital and more options for handling the additional costs. Walmart might grumble about the requirement, but a small company might have to forgo raises to afford the paid leave.

On the contrary, large companies love this shit. It makes it even harder for the mom and pop stores to compete.

Also , I've got a gut feeling that people who work at chains use a lot more sick days than people who work at mom and pops

Most small start ups can't afford much in the way of benefits, including unpaid leave. In general, anything that increases overhead hits small firms harder than large ones, who have more operating capital and more options for handling the additional costs. Walmart might grumble about the requirement, but a small company might hases to afford the paid leave.

Of course , I'm not really talking about start ups though, I'm talking about established businesses. My gut at least tells me that they take better care of their employees than big boxes, at least most of the time.

Define 'take care of'? Most small businesses labor under a huge mountain of debt, taxes and start up costs, they can't afford to take care of themselves let alone somebody else. It isn't the place of the employer to *take care of* their employees. They don't own them, for pete's sakes. They pay them what they can afford to do a job that has to be done, in order to increase their profits and move them towards being self sufficient and ultimately, lucrative.

I swear entitlement whores think that poor working people are slaves or something.

Most small start ups can't afford much in the way of benefits, including unpaid leave. In general, anything that increases overhead hits small firms harder than large ones, who have more operating capital and more options for handling the additional costs. Walmart might grumble about the requirement, but a small company might hases to afford the paid leave.

Of course , I'm not really talking about start ups though, I'm talking about established businesses. My gut at least tells me that they take better care of their employees than big boxes, at least most of the time.

Probably in terms of general treatment, but formal benefit requirements like this are much more affordable at scale. That why they enjoy support in Congress.

Probably in terms of general treatment, but formal benefit requirements like this are much more affordable at scale. That why they enjoy support in Congress.

Yes, true. But I still believe that small companies are willing to make these types of benefits available of their own accord more often than big companies are. As long as they remain somewhat affordable I mean.

We offer our workers 12 paid sick days a year. They can take them , or at the end of the year we will buy them back at 50% . Most of our workers choose to get that "extra" money at the beginning of each year.

Define 'take care of'? Most small businesses labor under a huge mountain of debt, taxes and start up costs, they can't afford to take care of themselves let alone somebody else. It isn't the place of the employer to *take care of* their employees. They don't own them, for pete's sakes. They pay them what they can afford to do a job that has to be done, in order to increase their profits and move them towards being self sufficient and ultimately, lucrative.

I swear entitlement whores think that poor working people are slaves or something.

Then simple enough solution. Provide Every American a living, including health care, and then people will just work if they are into that sort of thing and want a little extra.

You see, the thing is, if you guys on the right are going to insist on "the Market" providing a living for people and their health coverage, you can turn around and poor-mouth when said market is unable to provide these things to the people doing the actual work.

Forum List

Back