Wall Street Journal reports: Stimulus is working!

U.S. Economy Gets Lift From Stimulus - WSJ.com

WASHINGTON -- Government efforts to funnel hundreds of billions of dollars into the U.S. economy appear to be helping the U.S. climb out of the worst recession in decades.

But there's little agreement about which programs are having the biggest impact. Some economists argue that efforts such as the Federal Reserve's aggressive buying of Treasury debt and mortgage-backed securities, as well as government efforts to shore up banks, are providing a bigger boost than the administration's $787 billion stimulus package.

The U.S. economy is beginning to show signs of improvement, with many economists asserting the worst is past and data pointing to stronger-than-expected growth. On Tuesday, data showed manufacturing grew in August for the first time in more than a year. "There's a method to the madness. We're getting out of this," said Brian Bethune, chief U.S. financial economist at IHS Global Insight.

Much of the stimulus spending is just beginning to trickle through the economy, with spending expected to peak sometime later this year or in early 2010. The government has funneled about $60 billion of the $288 billion in promised tax cuts to U.S. households, while about $84 billion of the $499 billion in spending has been paid. About $200 billion has been promised to certain projects, such as infrastructure and energy projects.

Economists say the money out the door -- combined with the expectation of additional funds flowing soon -- is fueling growth above where it would have been without any government action.

Ok....Everyone who wants the economy to fail can chime in now

Just read the bill and see what is in it- it does not look like a major job creator to me-

Search Results - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

Hell, you don't even need to read the whole thing, just look at the titles of where this money is going, it's not a job creator, it's just a twenty year wish list by the liberals in the democratic party. All you need to do is scan the titles to see that.

Last edited:
It is indeed further proof that lefties have problems with linking. Apparently you and the writers of this piece need to learn the same thing the global warming crowd does; two things happening simultaneously does not inherently mean one caused the other.

Ok you stupid sheep.....Pay no attention to the surging economy!
Any improvement you see is purely by accident!

Translation: You are not familiar with concept of establishing causation.

I'm not saying it isn't happening, nor I am saying it is an accident that it is happening. It is just very telling that your article gives credit to the stimulus, yet in the same breath admits it can't establish why.

Last edited:
It is indeed further proof that lefties have problems with linking. Apparently you and the writers of this piece need to learn the same thing the global warming crowd does; two things happening simultaneously does not inherently mean one caused the other.

Surging economy?

Do whuh?

Would ya list the elements and segments of the economy, which you know to be surging?

FTR: goverment make-work projects are NOT evidence of an ecomony of anything. They produce NOTHING and they're compensated with currency that is based upon NOTHING.

Now I own several companies which depend upon several different segements of the economy... and they're ALL down or in the verge of extinction. I'd LOVE to hear of a surge happening somewhere, but you're the first person I've heard mention such.

So enlighten me... PUH-LEASE!

Surging economy?

Do whuh?

Would ya list the elements and segments of the economy, which you know to be surging?

FTR: goverment make-work projects are NOT evidence of an ecomony of anything. They produce NOTHING and they're compensated with currency that is based upon NOTHING.

Now I own several companies which depend upon several different segements of the economy... and they're ALL down or in the verge of extinction. I'd LOVE to hear of a surge happening somewhere, but you're the first person I've heard mention such.

So enlighten me... PUH-LEASE!

A "surge" it aint" ??
Dow Jones March 2 2009 6626
Dow Jones Today 9344

41% increase is not a "surge" ???

Housing starts are up, production is up, index of leading economic indicators up four months in a row.

On the other hand, Still haven't seen the "surge" in inflation that the gloom and doomers were guaranteeing after the stimulus package passed

The stimulus bill is having far less impact on the economy vs the $8k first time buyer credit, and the cash for clunkers credit - both of which are short-term boots. What should be noted that in both cases, when you put money directly in the hands of the consumer, the economy responds positively.

Reduce government spending and initiate sweeping tax cuts - that is what the economy needs.

The banks were given billions and that has stemmed the financial bleeding that was taking place this time last year. BUT, these same banks are still hurting, and the billions in private equity money remains aloof to the American economy - very uncertain as to what this administration is going to do.

America right now is not seen as pro-business, and companies and jobs are going elsewhere. Unless we have a drastic shift in economic direction and become once again, pro-business, this will continue...

Yes they're right. It is working for them. Hopey Changey gave their fellow corrupt Wall Street cretins Trillions in Tax Dollars and now they're supposedly rolling in the dough again. Whoopy for them! I would think they would be making a bit more money after the American Tax Payers were raped and forced to bail their sorry a*ses out. This just doesn't matter to average American citizens. So the Wall Street cretins are jumping for joy? Who cares? :(

Reduce government spending and initiate sweeping tax cuts - that is what the economy needs.

Some people never learn from their mistakes :cuckoo:

Rupert Murdoch IS Wall Street. So ole Rupert is making more money now thanks to that wonderful Hopey Changey "Stimulus." Yea and who cares? Far too many people are now hitching their wagons to Wall Street's Fortunes. Not a wise decision. Stock Markets go up and then they go down. That's just the way it is and will always be. When the Stock Market crashes again,Rupert will be fine but will you?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back