Wall Street Journal caught in front-page lie

I've been reading the WSJ a long time. I usually skip the editorial page but I think the rest of the paper is as unbiased as any other in the country. In fact, I think Murdoch has done a pretty good job keeping his pledge of not editorializing the news content.

In recent days I have personally seen -no less than 3 times- an ad from AARP with seniors telling DC to keep their hands off of SS and MC.

Jus' sayin'

It wasn't a mistake. The AARP is upset at the backlash and is doing spin control.

And you've fallen for it.

Indeed, even the NPR link in the OP admits:

For now, AARP is in damage control mode trying to undo the perception that it is open to making benefit cuts now. And it's fighting on another front, too. Some of the organization's members are signaling their unhappiness by tearing up their membership cards.

Because;

In an apparent reference to the tough negotiations that are likely to accompany any long-term fix, John Rother, AARP's policy chief, told the Wall Street Journal, "The ship was sailing. I wanted to be at the wheel when that happens."

To Kingson, that sounds like AARP is too willing to compromise just to get a seat at the negotiating table.

"You know they talk about the ship — as the ship moves forward, my worry is that the ship might be the ship Titanic for older Americans, and for people with disabilities and for our kids unless they redirect what they're willing to accept," Kingson says.

Duh.

I've been reading the WSJ a long time. I usually skip the editorial page but I think the rest of the paper is as unbiased as any other in the country. In fact, I think Murdoch has done a pretty good job keeping his pledge of not editorializing the news content.

If you have the Audible App on your Itouch you can download the WSJ daily (45 min) free.

In recent days I have personally seen -no less than 3 times- an ad from AARP with seniors telling DC to keep their hands off of SS and MC.

Jus' sayin'

What they tell Seniors for mass consumption and what they have actually done don't exactly always mesh though. They knew good and well that Obamacare intended to gut Medicare Advantage and pretty well hamstring most supplemental carriers, and that cleared most competition out of the way so AARP could rake in billions selling their own supplemental plan. Their payola for supporting Obamacare.

Advocate for seniors? Not so much actually. Not if there are nice profits to be had at the senior's expense. But they have to talk a good game to keep lots of seniors paying their dues in order to keep their negotiating advantage.

Jus' sayin'

What they tell Seniors for mass consumption and what they have actually done don't exactly always mesh though. They knew good and well that Obamacare intended to gut Medicare Advantage and pretty well hamstring most supplemental carriers, and that cleared most competition out of the way so AARP could rake in billions selling their own supplemental plan. Their payola for supporting Obamacare.

Advocate for seniors? Not so much actually. Not if there are nice profits to be had at the senior's expense. But they have to talk a good game to keep lots of seniors paying their dues in order to keep their negotiating advantage.
Strong point

:cool:

In the 90s, it became clear to me that AARP was just a mouthpiece for communism.

I lined the toilet trash can with their magazines. Now their ads just go straight to the shredder.

they pulled the article?

I found it right here...

AARP Pivots on Social Security Benefit Cut - WSJ.com

Good. For some reason it wasn't showing up when I searched for it.

good what? where's YOUR retraction, eh?

Good as in "I'm relieved to know that it's not the coverup I first suspected."

When the news cycle is as fast as it now is, pundits like me will step in it every once in a while. To me, that's a small price to pay compared to just standing on the sidelines and heckling like some flame zone reject. ;)

Looks like they, like the NYT, are also letting their editorial policy steer their journalism.

Seems the Journal's cyberstaff has pulled this story already and trying to pretend it never existed.

Source

they pulled the article?

I found it right here...

So you make a claim, which is proved to be incorrect, and that's ok.... or is it that you deliberately lied?

Seems to me you have a really big blind spot. You are unable to see shit on the left, but you'll scream like a banshee about the same shit on the right.

And... it's a lie if the guys you believe say it is.

You know what that makes you? Stupid.

they pulled the article?

I found it right here...

So you make a claim, which is proved to be incorrect, and that's ok.... or is it that you deliberately lied?

Seems to me you have a really big blind spot. You are unable to see shit on the left, but you'll scream like a banshee about the same shit on the right. And... it's a lie if the guys you believe say it is.

Ironic post of the week.

It wasn't a mistake. The AARP is upset at the backlash and is doing spin control.

And you've fallen for it.

The AARP is the backlash. As they have a right to be, if they believe that information the press writes about them is in error.

What they believe is not at issue if you are calling the reporting of what they said to be a lie. If the ideas were properly attributed and the quotes accuate, it was a report, not a lie.

That the AARP is continuing to conduct its political and misleading business is not even a part of your consideration. It's not a part of the story you site, either.

The AARP is a political entity that is gaining profits for its directors. It annoys me that this group that has tried to rip me off with over priced offers for insurance and other products directed at the elderly is viewed as an organization that is almost diefied by all who speak of it in hushed and reverant tones.

If they believe that the information written is not accurate, perhaps they need to take a step back and take a broader look at the work they do vs. the front they promote.

Seems to me you have a really big blind spot. You are unable to see shit on the left, but you'll scream like a banshee about the same shit on the right. And... it's a lie if the guys you believe say it is.

Ironic post of the week.

I agree it may be ironic, but having blinders on is prerequisite fo any partisan, left or right.

Which is why maintaining an open mind is supposed to be a virtue.

Ironic post of the week.
Which is why I have her on ignore. That and her claim not to be on any "side." How's that for irony? :lol:

good what? where's YOUR retraction, eh?

He just did it, moron.

Here's the real AARP position:

AARP Has Not Changed Its Position on Social Security - AARP.org

Really? I don't see a retraction at all. Your English must be different from the rest of the worlds English.

I'll give you a dollar for every post you can make that argues a point WITHOUT mentioning either you or an opponent.

Same goes for daveman. Naturally, my finances are perfectly safe.

Ironic post of the week.
Which is why I have her on ignore. That and her claim not to be on any "side." How's that for irony? :lol:

Fucking idiot.

I can say this without worrying about 'insulting' the Whiny Pillock cuz he 'ignores' me. :lol::lol:

Ironic post of the week.

I agree it may be ironic, but having blinders on is prerequisite fo any partisan, left or right.

An open mind is a sign of intellect, which is why the likes of NYCluelessMoron and the Whiny Pillock are not capable of an open mind.

Neither of them are capable of understanding why I say I have no 'side', and yet also maintain I am a conservative. They both dumbasses.

So the WSJ did it, and it's a lie.

ABC, NPR, NYT and CNN report the same story.....and it's just good old honest reporting?

smiley-taunt001.gif

Last edited:
Ironic post of the week.

An open mind is a sign of intellect, which is why the likes of NYCluelessMoron and the Whiny Pillock are not capable of an open mind.

Neither of them are capable of understanding why I say I have no 'side', and yet also maintain I am a conservative. They both dumbasses.

I don't think a true conservative can take political sides. Conservatism is based on principles, ideals, and concepts and neither Democrats nor Republicans measure up to those these days.

Forum List

Back