Walker quietly repeals equal pay law

Scott Walker Quietly Repeals Wisconsin Equal Pay Law

Contrasts this with President Obama signing the Lilly Ledbetter law.

Apparently, Walker is trying to hurt as many people as he can before he is recalled. Has Mittens considered Scott Walker for his running mate? They'd make such a great pair.

here's an obligatory conservative viewpoint.

the Lily Bedwetter law is stupid and silly. A employer is going to pay an employee what he thinks he or she is worth. If you don't have a union setting the wage, that's what the agreement is. If you don't like it, you have the option of working somewhere else.

Now, I would have no problem if you had tranparency in wages. You get to know what people are making. Most companies will fire you if you disclose your wages to your co-workers.

I find it curious as to why so many on the right vilify unions, yet fail to consider that management agrees to EVERYTHING in the contract.

You don't make a better country by tearing people down. You do it by raising people up.
How does union bashing raise people up? They're free to not work for a union, aren't they? No one is FORCING union jobs on workers are they?

The union issue is bunk. All we're doing is making lower wage workers out of people.

So I take it you're for right to work legislation that allows people to opt out of joining a union and paying dues right?

Your business is your property. You have the the right to pay employees whatever you like. If the employee doesn't like it, they are free to get another job. We are not communists.

In addition, the state law was redundant as any claims of illegal discrimination can be presented in federal courts. Wisconsin, as with most states, has no extra cash lying around to support unnecessary laws and the bureaucracy required to enforce them. Repealing such laws makes economic sense and harms no one.

I'm not a Republican but I have to support Walker on this one.

Which of course is bullshit. The Constitution gives the government broad powers over commerce. We have federal minimum wage laws, OSHA and all sorts of other laws governing the behavior of management toward employees.

And Wisconsin..which use to be a basically solvent state..started having problems when they cut taxes on rich folks.

Wow you like the minimum wage? I love the well intended consequences of the law, but the law is complete crap. All the minimum wage law does is increase inflation and hurt the working poor that are making a little above the min wage. T

he people making a say $10 an hour when the minimum wage is $8 and hour, what happens to those when the minimum wage goes to $10 an hour. do those people get a percentage increase or even a flat $2/hour increase, nope they are now minimum wage...wooohooooo!!!!!
And that's just one aspect of it, let alone making our products more expensive and harder to see in the global market place (hence outsourcing!!!! liberals hate it, but the make the conditions for it by artificial government solutions)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/20/nyregion/fearing-a-minimum-wage-increase-will-be-bad-for-business.html?pagewanted=all
good read on minimum wage increases, and the probable results.

yeah the min wage is good for commies, bad for the people it's supposed to help.

If it's great lets make the min wage $100 an hour. Will liberals tell me why we shouldn't?

it wouldnt be due to inflation, would it? or that everyone making under $100 an hour would now be a min wage earner and hey think about those trade deals we could do. We could trade a Ford Focus for a Porche 911, isnt that an awesome deal???

Commies don't have unions. Neither do facists.

Well, we have the 'Conservative' position pretty clear here.

No equal pay laws for women. They don't need it, and besides, they voted mostly for Obama

No minimum wage laws. It discriminates against uneducated workers, ie, 'Conservatives'.

No unions, they discriminate against working conditions like the wonderful ones we had in the 1890's.

This is how you know you're wrong, you can't even state your opponents views correctly. Our position is that wages are for the market.

That's your justification for not wanting laws requiring equal pay for equal work. To most people. who don't share your ideology, not wanting laws requiring equal pay for equal work is the MAIN thing -- everything else is just window dressing.

Your position is wildly radical, wildly unpopular, absolutely out there and weird. And you don't seem to have any idea that that's the case. And that's even weirder.

No one is underpaid in a free market. If you go to a job that pays you a wage, that means it is a fair wage because if you had a better option then you would take the better option. That you chose to go is what proves it's fair. It's irrelevant what anyone else makes or what they are worth, all that matters is what you are worth. And you answered the question when you showed up for work.

Now government can skew wages. Look at the Michigan economy for an example of what happens when government forces companies to pay workers more then they are worth. Word.

yeah the min wage is good for commies, bad for the people it's supposed to help.

If it's great lets make the min wage $100 an hour. Will liberals tell me why we shouldn't?

it wouldnt be due to inflation, would it? or that everyone making under $100 an hour would now be a min wage earner and hey think about those trade deals we could do. We could trade a Ford Focus for a Porche 911, isnt that an awesome deal???

Commies don't have unions. Neither do facists.
I think you missed the point. Commies do love unions....in this country atleast. They always seem to run into each other

just a quick example:

Communism in Washington State: Organizing Unions: The 30's and 40's

No one is underpaid in a free market.

Blah blah blah. You keep restating the tenets of your belief-system as if they were an answer to what I'm saying. That tells me you don't get what I'm saying, not for a second.

MOST PEOPLE DON'T AGREE WITH YOU. By HUGE majorities. THAT'S what I'm saying. Your ideas are WAY OUT THERE ON THE FRINGE in terms of the way most Americans think. When you implement policies based on those beliefs, they are not going to justify them in their own minds the way you do, they're just going to see that you're implementing policies that they STRONGLY disapprove of.

And that's what Walker is doing. He's quietly implementing policies that a HUGE majority of the people of his state (and of the nation generally) STRONGLY disapprove of. The fact that you approve of them, and can find ideological reasons to do so, doesn't change that one iota.

He is committing political suicide. He is increasing his chances of losing the recall, and making it dead certain he will be a one-term governor even if he survives the recall.

Blah blah blah. You keep restating the tenets of your belief-system as if they were an answer to what I'm saying. That tells me you don't get what I'm saying, not for a second.

It's called freedom. Economic freedom is called capitalism. I get what you're saying fine, it's just BS. You'd think your beloved Democratic party would learn from the economic collapse of the communist world, yet that's the path you demand we go down, and I mean...go down... Only China is prospering and that's because they have allowed large amounts of economic freedom.

The only people this law helped were lawyers. It was unfair to expect employers to be sued for things they are not guilty of or didn't know about.

This stupid law allowed employees to fight their employer decades later when the employer had no way of defending themselves, causing the employer to settle out of court.

This is the kind of law that causes outsourcing, hurting Americans not helping them.

And most southern democrats, including al gore senior and Robert Byrd, opposed the civil rights act of 1964.

In contrast, republicans had supported equal rights for women since 1944, it was democrats that opposed equal rights for blacks and women because of labor unions.

The only people this law helped were lawyers. It was unfair to expect employers to be sued for things they are not guilty of or didn't know about.

This stupid law allowed employees to fight their employer decades later when the employer had no way of defending themselves, causing the employer to settle out of court.

This is the kind of law that causes outsourcing, hurting Americans not helping them.

And most southern democrats, including al gore senior and Robert Byrd, opposed the civil rights act of 1964.

In contrast, republicans had supported equal rights for women since 1944, it was democrats that opposed equal rights for blacks and women because of labor unions.

NOt getting weepy for poor employers who have to outsource because their employees might actually ask for decent treatment.

That's the kind of "someone else is responsible for my bad behavior" kind of thing that so-called Conservatives are usually against.

Here's the real problem. Most pay systems aren't based on merit, they are based on, "What can I get away with?" Which is why most employers make it a firable offense to know what your coworkers make or telling them what you make.

Scott Walker Quietly Repeals Wisconsin Equal Pay Law

Contrasts this with President Obama signing the Lilly Ledbetter law.

Apparently, Walker is trying to hurt as many people as he can before he is recalled. Has Mittens considered Scott Walker for his running mate? They'd make such a great pair.

That wasn't an "equal pay" law. It was a "field day for trial lawyers" law. The law made it possible to sue employers without any actual evidence of discrimination. Paying the same wage the every other employer paid wasn't a legitimate defense under the law.

We realize scumbags like you want to destroy employers, but sensible people want jobs.

Furthermore, the state legislator repealed the law, moron. All the governor did was sign the legislation that repealed it.

I find it curious as to why so many on the right vilify unions, yet fail to consider that management agrees to EVERYTHING in the contract.

You don't make a better country by tearing people down. You do it by raising people up.
How does union bashing raise people up? They're free to not work for a union, aren't they? No one is FORCING union jobs on workers are they?

The union issue is bunk. All we're doing is making lower wage workers out of people.

I find it curios that you continue to pose as a Republican. You're about as Republican as Pol Pot.

It's called freedom. Economic freedom is called capitalism. I get what you're saying fine, it's just BS.

It's not BS and you don't get it. I can tell, because you keep arguing against me as if I were presenting an economic idea you find wrong. I am not. I am presenting an observable fact that YOUR economic ideas are radical fringe ideas that most people disagree with. Whether those ideas are right or wrong is totally irrelevant to what I'm saying (although I do in fact also believe they're wrong).

Walker is committing political suicide. That's what I'm saying. That's all I'm saying. You are not refuting that in any way by claiming that Walker is right. Even if he was right, he'd still be politically dead meat.

Yes republicans believe and vote to make it so women can be discriminated against and not have equal pay, however its not just women

It's not BS and you don't get it. I can tell, because you keep arguing against me as if I were presenting an economic idea you find wrong. I am not. I am presenting an observable fact that YOUR economic ideas are radical fringe ideas that most people disagree with. Whether those ideas are right or wrong is totally irrelevant to what I'm saying (although I do in fact also believe they're wrong).

If you think you're being underpaid, you're too lazy to find another job, so you call in the politicians because when they tell you they are from the government and they are here to help, you believe them....

Wow.

You can call it whatever you want, but your refusal to take responsibility for your own life and your own problems is just a big cop out. Your job is one of the biggest parts of your life and you expect to just show up for 8 hours a day and have government take care of your wages because you're too unmotivated to do it yourself. They don't pay you enough, they pay someone else more. Moan, moan, moan. Go ahead with your next round of lame excuses for passing your problems on someone else.

Forum List

Back