Walker quietly repeals equal pay law

Your business is your property. You have the the right to pay employees whatever you like. If the employee doesn't like it, they are free to get another job. We are not communists.

In addition, the state law was redundant as any claims of illegal discrimination can be presented in federal courts. Wisconsin, as with most states, has no extra cash lying around to support unnecessary laws and the bureaucracy required to enforce them. Repealing such laws makes economic sense and harms no one.

I'm not a Republican but I have to support Walker on this one.

Scott Walker Quietly Repeals Wisconsin Equal Pay Law

Contrasts this with President Obama signing the Lilly Ledbetter law.

Apparently, Walker is trying to hurt as many people as he can before he is recalled. Has Mittens considered Scott Walker for his running mate? They'd make such a great pair.

Wage discrimination is solved by free markets and workers not too lazy to use them to find a better job when they are being so called "underpaid"

I find it curious as to why so many on the right vilify unions, yet fail to consider that management agrees to EVERYTHING in the contract.

You don't make a better country by tearing people down. You do it by raising people up.
How does union bashing raise people up? They're free to not work for a union, aren't they? No one is FORCING union jobs on workers are they?

The union issue is bunk. All we're doing is making lower wage workers out of people.

I find it curious as to why so many on the right vilify unions, yet fail to consider that management agrees to EVERYTHING in the contract.

If a private company agrees to union demands, that's their business and no one really cares. It's when PUBLIC sector unions get their way that they are rightly vilified. In such cases, there is no management on the other side of the table, only a politician that was put into office, at least in part, by the very union they're "negotiating" with, which they're doing with taxpayer money. That's worthy of serious vilification.

You don't make a better country by tearing people down. You do it by raising people up.
How does union bashing raise people up? They're free to not work for a union, aren't they? No one is FORCING union jobs on workers are they?

The union issue is bunk. All we're doing is making lower wage workers out of people.

That's such a vague comment and ignores the role of government force in the equation. Maybe if you could ask a more well formed question, you'd get an answer that you don't find so "curious."

Kind of amazing that some people here actually approve of repealing laws requiring equal pay. Well, no, that's not what's amazing; what's amazing is that they do this and don't seem to realize what a radical position they're taking.

http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site/DocServer/5-2010_Poll_Data_One_Pager.pdf?docID=6681

"In a nationwide poll of registered voters, 84% said they support “a new law that would provide women more tools to get fair pay in the workplace.” When respondents were told that the “law will also make it harder for employers to justify paying different wages for the same work and ensure that businesses that break the law compensate women fairly,” 72% strongly support such a law."

You who support what Walker has done here are taking a fringe position opposed by most Americans. Of course everyone has the right to do that, but it seems to me that you are under the delusion that you represent a majority of Americans.

Or maybe it's just a majority of "real" Americans.

Kind of amazing that some people here actually approve of repealing laws requiring equal pay.

If women preformed EXACTLY as their male counterparts, yet were paid less, why would any business ever employ a man? That would make no economic sense at all.

Kind of amazing that some people here actually approve of repealing laws requiring equal pay

Seriously? If I'm being underpaid by my employer, a system where I go get a job where I'm not underpaid on my own is "amazing" to you? A rational person would run to government to "fix" the problem? Seriously, freedom is that inconceivable to you?

Regardless of what arguments you can present to yourselves to justify it, the fact remains it's an EXTREMELY radical position, wildly unpopular with most Americans. That's a fact, and you guys seem completely oblivious to that fact.

Now, there's nothing wrong in itself with holding wildly unpopular positions (I hold a few of them myself), but you need to realize that there is ZERO chance of such a position achieving any degree of electoral success, and any legislative enactment has to be done "quietly" as Walker did here, and even then will almost certainly result in widespread anger, elective defeat at the next opportunity, and reversal.

I see no sign at all that you folks have any awareness of just how "out there" you are.

Kind of amazing that some people here actually approve of repealing laws requiring equal pay. Well, no, that's not what's amazing; what's amazing is that they do this and don't seem to realize what a radical position they're taking.

http://www.nationalpartnership.org/site/DocServer/5-2010_Poll_Data_One_Pager.pdf?docID=6681

"In a nationwide poll of registered voters, 84% said they support “a new law that would provide women more tools to get fair pay in the workplace.” When respondents were told that the “law will also make it harder for employers to justify paying different wages for the same work and ensure that businesses that break the law compensate women fairly,” 72% strongly support such a law."

You who support what Walker has done here are taking a fringe position opposed by most Americans. Of course everyone has the right to do that, but it seems to me that you are under the delusion that you represent a majority of Americans.

Or realize that women are fleeing the GOP.

Or realize that women are fleeing the GOP.

This source adequate? EQUAL pay does not require anything BUT equal pay among employees for the SAME work:

Scott Walker Repeals Wisconsin Equal Pay Act - Business Insider

Regardless of what arguments you can present to yourselves to justify it, the fact remains it's an EXTREMELY radical position, wildly unpopular with most Americans. That's a fact, and you guys seem completely oblivious to that fact.

Now, there's nothing wrong in itself with holding wildly unpopular positions (I hold a few of them myself), but you need to realize that there is ZERO chance of such a position achieving any degree of electoral success, and any legislative enactment has to be done "quietly" as Walker did here, and even then will almost certainly result in widespread anger, elective defeat at the next opportunity, and reversal.

I see no sign at all that you folks have any awareness of just how "out there" you are.

It is incredible isn't it? Equal pay for equal work is wrong? The very argument is a non-starter.

It is incredible isn't it? Equal pay for equal work is wrong? The very argument is a non-starter.

This is how you know you're wrong, you can't even state your opponents views correctly. Our position is that wages are for the market. If you're underpaid, find a job where you are not underpaid. It's not a job for government. No one said "equal pay for equal work is wrong." No one. You have to scarecrow arguments because even you know your views are lame and don't stand up to real points, so you have to make up a point no one said and address that to prop up your frail argument.

Huh. So this is what it feels like to be an Obamacare supporter. Meh.

I'll take a merit based system like the free market offers over any other kind (gender/race/crony) any day of the week. And I say that working in an industry (bartending) where women typically make more than men. (plus I do all the heavy lifting, lol)

I'll take a merit based system like the free market offers over any other kind (gender/race/crony) any day of the week. And I say that working in an industry (bartending) where women typically make more than men. (plus I do all the heavy lifting, lol)

Because of tips or base pay?

Because of tips or base pay?

Tips for sure. Males drink more and pick up more checks. Being the pigs we are they tip more for boobs and prettiness. I have to face the facts, my boobs are too flat and hairy.

Forum List

Back